Why not Minot?

kuk kuk

Need a little feedback out there. I have an opportunity to pheasant hunt in the Minot area. I am an experienced hunter but never have hunted in that area. The farmer has lots of quarters of land, so I am sure there are places to hunt, just wondering if there are enough pheasants in that general area to drive 8 hours. Thanks

Yes the farmer sees birds, but what he thinks is a healthy population and reality could be vastly different.

I would never pass up an opportunity to explore new pheasant hunting territory, especially when invited to do so on privet land. ;)

"Lots of quarters of land"

I'm 13 hours away. Will grudgingly make the supreme sacrifice, load up my 4 britts, scout it out for you, and report back.

Need a little feedback out there. I have an opportunity to pheasant hunt in the Minot area. I am an experienced hunter but never have hunted in that area. The farmer has lots of quarters of land, so I am sure there are places to hunt, just wondering if there are enough pheasants in that general area to drive 8 hours. Thanks

What constitutes "enough"?:confused:

I'd say no not worth it I traveled 9+ hours 1 way to never shoot a limit & I was in a much better area then Minot I'm just being honest you will be much better off in SD I can drive 5-6 hours & have no worry I'm going to see birds... I don't think I'll ever go back to ND again Nebraska was much more enjoyable hunt did that the same year as ND

"Enough" would mean to keep my dogs interested. I hunt pheasants in South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa and once in awhile Nebraska, so its not like I am picking anything over another. I just thought I might try ND on the opener.

Minot area is indeed hit or miss for pheasants. By area I mean a 75 mile circle around the town. Some spots will be tremendous while others have few birds ... although a mild winter or two spreads out the population.

This area is more prone to population swings tied to winter. This area lacks a lot of cattle yards (which serves as a winter retreat in those really tough winters). It is amazing how little snow it takes to fill shelterbelts and cattail sloughs since the wind blows it all there.

Private land and public land around The Lake are better.

ND Opener would preclude you from hunting PLOT land and ND GMA land since they are off limits to nonresidents the first 7 days of the ND pheasant season. Federal WPAs would be open. Since you have private farm land this should be less of a concern, but it does eliminate a safety net for you if this farm land does not have the birds you are looking for.

Opener even in this area can be impacted by harvest. A delayed harvest can hide lots of birds ... some corn here, but canola and sunflowers would be the two crops that may still be standing. Ask your farmer what he has in the ground and if everything will be off by opener.

Last edited:
Most of the time farmers know what is on their land. I took a chance on this one year in eastern Montana and had the time of my life. I called and talked to the farmers wife about the birds she said oh I don't know I think we have some around. I asked a few more questions and found out that if she wants pheasant for dinner she sends her husband out and he shoots one in the yard for dinner! yes they had tons of birds. ND can be a great state to hunt birds go for it.

Draw a straight line between Fargo and Minot and to the Canada border.

If you hunt SW of this line most(but not all) hunters have a reasonable chance at a 3 bird day until you reach the SW corner of ND where 3 birds is almost a given usually in less than 3 hours of hunting.

If you hunt NE of this line, we can reasonably assume that you like walking, exercising, and getting lots of fresh air more than you like shooting roosters.

As you go due east from Minot, bird #'s fall off rapidly. As you go due west of Minot, bird #'s gradually increase on into Montana.

My advise: Tack West/Southwest of Minot. In fact, draw a line between Minot and the nice little town of Parshall - hunt 10 miles either side of this line and you will do fine. No slack'n off though. Keep your boots on the ground and in good habitat and you WILL be rewarded. In this area you will also put up huns and sharpies - a bonus dividend!

And I would gladly join Gumboot and become a martyr for this most noble cause - please let me know what cafe to meet at - breakfast is on me!

You will also do "ok" between Hwys 83 & 52 - NW of Minot. And you won't have much company except for the "camo boys" on air raid patrol with their
anti-aircraft howitzers and binoculars.

I know in the general area of Jamestown was slim pickin's last year. Ran into a lot of other hunters. If you hunt that area and get into a decent # of huns , let me know. I will gladly share some good pheasant spots in central ND with you!! Good luck!

Jamestown is pretty far east and outside the base pheasant range of ND. It can be OK when weather / climate has been kind and habitat is good, but drops off precipitously when you get one bad winter.

Rather nice sharptail area if you are in the right spots.

I know the winters are different in different parts of states, but our winter between Bismarck and Jamestown a little off 94. Was a really mild one. and the spring was wet and warm which was great for nesting success. and we are hearing positive reports out from farmers.

I know the winters are different in different parts of states, but our winter between Bismarck and Jamestown a little off 94. Was a really mild one. and the spring was wet and warm which was great for nesting success. and we are hearing positive reports out from farmers.

That is some outstanding news. I will be in that area 10/11 - 10/19. We can't hunt plots for the majority of the trip but can hopefully find some good WPA and unposed private. Thanks for the reply!

Back