Why did you go with the breed that you did and have you been satisfied?

I bought my oldest son a Vizsla pup 12 years ago when he had some serious health issues and that dog made me laugh every day she was with us. I have a GSP at home too but I've evolved into a Vizsla guy. My youngest Vizsla is a little over 2 and he is developing into a really nice hunting dog and is always by my side. But I have to admit that when it's freezing cold and I'm hunting pheasant around large spreads of cat tails.....I really miss my labs.

I purchased my first Brittany when I was 18 and just out of high school. My dad was a big game hunter and field goose hunter. He never owned a bird dog of any breed.

First Brittany was an extremely intense dog (some time I will tell a story about him ... the only & last dog of mine to spend time with a professional trainer). I am on Brittany number 7 (often owning 2 or even 3 bird dogs at one time). They do what is asked of them and do it quite well. Easy dogs to train with a soft approach, patience, and starting off with dogs with good pedigrees.

The number of birds killed on public ground often following behind another group that day can be impressive.

When I was more of a waterfowler ... those Britts did well over water and in the field. Instinctive retriever vs. an instructed retriever based on their trainer (me). Most important is each would listen and hold when birds were working. My first and fourth Brittany hunted waterfowl the most and both had 24 - 40 bird days. Both of those dogs would submerge their heads and catch ducks swimming underwater. Pretty impressive to watch. Brittanys cannot hunt the extreme weather that a lab or Chessie can but that is fine.

Last edited:
Have had springers for over 50 years. Love the look. Love the friendliness. Great family dog and can turn off if/as needed which works well for hime environment. They go everywhere with me and happily stay in the truck for hours without destroying anything. When it comes to the field they have great drive. Almost went to a Brittany several years ago. Getting up in age. Instead, I chose to do so additional collar training to keep them from busting flushes till I was a bit more ready. my girls are trained to slow or turn on beeper. Multi beeps they will stop and look up for direction and hand or verbal signals. Continued beep will return to hand.
ya, it’s nit necessarily how they should be trained. It’s what I do to keep my girls safe, and to make the hunt more enjoyable. I’ve had the good luck to work with many other folks pups and use my dogs to hold frim flushing, allowing the younger dogs to find and flush birds early in their training. Works for me.

Typical winter off-season question, but usually pretty fun. Any shortcomings or areas of particular strength that you've noticed with you breed?

I chose black lab because i am a waterfowl hunter first, and yellows seem to be bred dumb in my area.

I love my dog like no other, but now that I am more into upland than ever before I wish i had a GSP. The lab gets hot quick with sunshine, and they get wore out quick (low stamina) when they get up in age.

I do like the thrill of a lab pushing up a rooster at 10-15 yards when you least expect it, and nothing compares to the retreival and downed bird abilities of a lab.

I grew up with Brittany's and have continued to have them thru my life. I started doing more waterfowl hunting and more hunting in Dakotas/Cattails so I started having a lab in the pack, that period of my life will send when my current lab passes on. I then began guiding for grouse and woodcock and thought I would add a setter to the mix. Setters have always been my second favorite dog behind the britt, I think i will continue to alternate brittany setter with my hunting pack. Currently have one lab, 2 brittany's and a setter.

I grew up with Brittany's and have continued to have them thru my life. I started doing more waterfowl hunting and more hunting in Dakotas/Cattails so I started having a lab in the pack, that period of my life will send when my current lab passes on. I then began guiding for grouse and woodcock and thought I would add a setter to the mix. Setters have always been my second favorite dog behind the britt, I think i will continue to alternate brittany setter with my hunting pack. Currently have one lab, 2 brittany's and a setter.

Happy Birthday today, milforester. I have always wanted to hunt with a Britt, i see them fairly often on the public grounds around here and they always look like extremely intelligent dogs.

I went with a pointing Lab. I have had Labs in the past for waterfowl, but since I started upland hunting, I got tired of not finding birds and wanted a dog that I knew would give me a fighting chance. I had hunted over other typical upland breeds and stumbled upon the pointing Labs. I researched breeders and went with one in Iowa. My pup turned four last weekend and it was the best decision, ever. He has a great off-switch, loves people, loves spending time on the boat, and LOVES to hunt. He did well in the hunt test games and is just a great dog to be around. His drive is amazing and never gives up on a bird. He has made some crazy long retrieves on wounded birds that really made me proud.

Attachments

• 1st Goose.jpg
    1st Goose.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 3
  • SD1.jpg
    SD1.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 3
  • SD4.jpg
    SD4.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 3
  • SUN2.jpg
    SUN2.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 3
  • sunset.jpg
    sunset.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Whisky Duck Call 2.jpg
    Whisky Duck Call 2.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 3
From 1974 to 1996 I had 3 Springers and a Lab. In 1996 the Springer I had developed hip dysplasia and a friend of mine in Colorado had a litter of Brittany pups. He offered to give me my first Brittany and I've been hooked ever since. I'm now on my 4th Brittany. I love the size, disposition and bird finding ability. All of my Brittanys have been super house dogs but have had a switch they turn on in the field.

I stumbled onto Vizslas as an afterthought. After researching, I decided to give a Vizsla the nod over a Springer. It was my first hunting dog since childhood. Ellie has not disappointed me one bit as she is the total package. Three years later we added a 2nd Vizsla to the stable. I love her independence, confidence and drive. She finds way more birds due to her motor but Ellie is more well rounded. They were so easy to train with instincts off the chart. They are a fun duo. I feel like I am living the dream with these two and also blessed to live where I can have them on birds in 5 minutes or less from leaving the house. Check out a couple of Tik Tok videos from the past 24 hours. In fact, check out some of the older ones if you are bored.

Willow on Point

Willow and Ellie: Teamwork

Happy Birthday today, milforester. I have always wanted to hunt with a Britt, i see them fairly often on the public grounds around here and they always look like extremely intelligent dogs.
Thanks KEO!

I love the size, disposition and bird finding ability. All of my Brittanys have been super house dogs but have had a switch they turn on in the field.
Couldn't agree more George, enjoy when can run our together.

HA! I once took a broad into the forest and she did have a kid (not mine, lol) so I guess Im also a milf forester.

Long post alert!
GSPs here. They've been out-of-the-box hunters with solid pointing, search, and retrieving. Mine don't want to play fetch with a ball, but they desperately want that bird in their mouth, so that helps. I think they were the perfect fit for me as a novice bird dog guy. With only basic commands you can have yourself a very serviceable dog. They were an adjustment at first because of their range - I was uncomfortable with them being out of sight and tried to constantly reel them closer at first. Over time, I just let them go. They'd check back often enough to keep track. E-Collars were a must though, and a Garmin would've been very helpful at times. Mine were/are very independent and more self-hunters than teammates, but things basically work out most of the time. It would be hard to mess up a well-bred GSP assuming the owner isn't a complete jerk.

They're a very forgiving dog. Hardheaded is not necessarily a bad thing at all. I made plenty of training mistakes, but they basically shrugged them off because they had one thing in mind and that was to find birds. Mine were/are a little fur sharp - a few bad encounters with skunks and porcupines, plus a love for rabbits. It was a bummer in those instances, but I've been able to haze them off of the undesired critters enough to keep things at bay. I hear about the fur drive in DDs and PPs and have to wonder how much more it could be than with the GSPs I've owned. Can't be much in my case.
Mine haven't been strong water dogs, which for some would be a real issue. I'm not a waterfowler, so I don't care. If i'd taken them to the lake a few times early in their life, it probably would've been just fine, so i can take some of the blame there.

My dogs have been productive, low-maintenance, and healthy. The downsides have been the energy, which in comparison to some other high-octane breeds I've been around has been noticeably higher. They're not a dog for the cattails, and who knows where the hell they go in the woods, but for me in open country they've been really great. Very loving dogs too after plenty of exercise. Their soft ears and cuddly ways make them a hit with the family, and their looks are about impossible to beat. Like springers, they're very optimistic dogs. Happy all the time and ready to go 24/7. Tolerant with other dogs and kind but slightly aloof with strangers. A good fence is important - they'll chase a squirrel or a rabbit a long ways if given the chance. We've had a few white-knuckle moments over the years dealing with stuff like this. It's not pleasant when it happens.

Not for everyone! Lots end up in shelters due to owners being overwhelmed. I've passed up on more than one really nice prospect in shelters because I had too many dogs at the time, so good ones are out there to be rescued. You can also pay $3000 for a pup from one of the higher-profile breeders and you're likely going to get a really good dog with health guarantees and a long line of strong genetics. I'm far from an expert in the breed, but off-hand I know of several kennels that I'd be happy to get a pup from, so availability is a plus. I'm into the NAVHDA bred variety.

As a slightly more seasoned guy now, I could see the allure of a more moderate dog in every sense. I'm not sure what that would be, so I'm always looking, but it may be unwise for me to go any other direction because mine have worked out so well overall. Lots of breeds in the running for a potential replacement - DD, PP, SM, EB, EP....you name it. I always seem to find a way to circle back to the GSP as a top contender. Decent heat tolerance, cold tolerance, low maintenance, great retrieve, stylish, beautiful, friendly, (a little hyper at times), high-drive.....jeez, lots to like. If somebody bred SM or DD temperament (these dogs can be really calm in comparison) with GSP everything else, that would be the golden ticket. Somebody might say - 'look at the DK' - I might have to do that. Those dogs run a little big for me though.

Ok that's enough. Overall I'm satisfied with the breed.

I have owned a Draat, several Labs and have enjoyed them all. However, my current dog is a Griffon. I selected the breed because my last Lab wore my ass out. So I googled "slow" "methodical" bird dog breeds and Griffon came up as fitting those traits. She is by far the best dog that I have ever owned. I will never own another breed of hunting dog. She is a great companion, has a great nose, points extremely well and is becoming a top notch retriever/cripple finder.

Attachments

• Remy.jpg
    Remy.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 6
  • #12.jpg
    #12.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 6
I like those griffons. I've seen a couple and they were really nice dogs. The ones I saw were well-described as slow and methodical. Here's my issue - What happens when a slow dog at age 3 turns 9 - not a big deal if all you hunt is heavy cover and want a dog that's tight, but maybe a little too methodical for me in certain applications. GSPs eventually end up as slow and methodical, but it takes them 11 years. :) Griffons are definitely among several 'perfect' dog breeds for a lot of pheasant cover though, and they're an awesome looking dog.

I'm on bird dog number 4 over a 30 year period. my fist was a Weim pup I got the week my 2nd child was born. They grew up together. Terrific dog, big, smart, and would retrieve as well as any lab anywhere. She and I figured how to hunt with a pointing dog together. Had two litters o pups out of her in the mid 90s and never once had to try and get rid of pups. Word got around from the guy I got her from. People called me from all over the country all the time wondering if I had any puppies. It was crazy.

When she was 8 I got my second dog because I figured that would be a good opportunity for dog one to help train dog two, a Vizsla. I wanted a short haired dog and a pointing/versatile dog and loved the look. they are everything advertised. Velcro! Good hunter, run all day but he was a little wacky.

When he was 8 I got a Braque Francais because i wanted a smaller dog that was quieter in the house. As advertised. Great dog. Very shy and quiet and a mouse in the house. Great pheasant dog but hated waterfowl hunting. Too boring for him when he was outside. had to put him down at 14 last summer an thought that would be it. My hunting friends are all older than me and don't get around great.

But got a call from an older guy I have hunted with a few times and wondered if I would be interested in his dog. Didn't have anywhere to hunt anymore and had a 3 yr old high dollar started Brittany he bought out of a respected kennel in KS. Got him at the start of Dec. he had basically been in a raised kennel for almost 2 years. He's adjusted to house life but he's way more active inside than we are used to. And outside too! My wife walks him 8-10 miles per day when I cannot run him. And he hunts and hunts and hunts. Very sweet and very talkative.

I like those griffons. I've seen a couple and they were really nice dogs. The ones I saw were well-described as slow and methodical. Here's my issue - What happens when a slow dog at age 3 turns 9 - not a big deal if all you hunt is heavy cover and want a dog that's tight, but maybe a little too methodical for me in certain applications. GSPs eventually end up as slow and methodical, but it takes them 11 years. :) Griffons are definitely among several 'perfect' dog breeds for a lot of pheasant cover though, and they're an awesome looking dog.
She is 7 or 8 years old now and is much more peppy than my last lab at the same age. I often hunt for three consecutive days (long days) and she hasn't slowed down at all. Additionally, she hunts equally well in sparse cover for chukar and quail and in thick cattail patches for quail and pheasants.

Back