Who's buying a Class A season pass?

If you think the birds are spooked at China can you imagine LB? Those birds never get a break over there

Yeah, that's where we were last week when JP have me the scare. They were spooky for sure.

The plan to introduce salmon to the SJ River is doomed to failure

I have a pic somewhere that Calisdad's wife took of a monster they trapped in Salt Slough last year, I think she said there were three in the trap that day.

We went to China Island yesterday because LB was packed last time. I wanted to go hit Salt Slough today before the storm rolled in but I didn't wake up.:eek: The pheasants were running devils yesterday. All those grass fields with swaths cut in them are flooded up leaving only the really talk stuff to hunt mostly. We had a flush of 6 hens and a rooster of the edge of one of those flooded fields, I was walking in about 6" of water.

I hit up Salt Slough Lot B on Saturday. We worked the cover south of the lot and then swung to the slough and worked along the edge of that back to the parking lot. Great cover, with some nice moist patches, although the tall grassy areas still seemed just a touch dry. I guess that sponge just hasn't filled with water yet, even with the scattered storms we have had.

Four total flushes, all hens. The dogs, my young inexperienced Lab and a pheasant hunting veteran Lab, got hotter than hell several times and just lost the trail. I presume that the older birds are just running, and given how nice the cover is, they can do that all day without having to fly, as long as they can stay in front of the dog.

I didn't expect much at all this season because of the drought, so I am pleasantly surprised that I am seeing any birds at all, let alone roosters, in the Grasslands. Hopefully these storms that are spaced one week apart will keep rolling in and dumping some rain.

BTW - if you guys see me at the check station or parking lots, flag me down. I drive a silver Jeep Liberty. I would like the opportunity to work a field or two with you guys, if nothing just for the sake of commiserating. If your game to do that of course.

I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm usually in a white regular cab GMC with a diamond plate dog box in the bed.

I have a pic somewhere that Calisdad's wife took of a monster they trapped in Salt Slough last year, I think she said there were three in the trap that day.

10482294_10203257220130782_5774270969552361130_n.jpg

Not so much water this year.

10482294_10203257220130782_5774270969552361130_n.jpg

Not so much water this year.

I remember when the east side bypass flooded, there were salmon in almost every creek and canal in Madera. When the bypass dried out there were 20 or more dead brooders right where the bypass connects to the SJR! They still try every year it seems.:cheers:

I hit up Salt Slough Lot B on Saturday. We worked the cover south of the lot and then swung to the slough and worked along the edge of that back to the parking lot. Great cover, with some nice moist patches, although the tall grassy areas still seemed just a touch dry. I guess that sponge just hasn't filled with water yet, even with the scattered storms we have had.

Four total flushes, all hens. The dogs, my young inexperienced Lab and a pheasant hunting veteran Lab, got hotter than hell several times and just lost the trail. I presume that the older birds are just running, and given how nice the cover is, they can do that all day without having to fly, as long as they can stay in front of the dog.

I didn't expect much at all this season because of the drought, so I am pleasantly surprised that I am seeing any birds at all, let alone roosters, in the Grasslands. Hopefully these storms that are spaced one week apart will keep rolling in and dumping some rain.

BTW - if you guys see me at the check station or parking lots, flag me down. I drive a silver Jeep Liberty. I would like the opportunity to work a field or two with you guys, if nothing just for the sake of commiserating. If your game to do that of course.

We just haven't had enough rain to keep things wet in Merced County. The last three December storms we got .35 inches total so far. The storms were followed by wind events so what little rain fell dried up by the winds. Hopefully we get a bit more rain this coming week. An inch of rain is the top range for this coming series of storms. I still want to go out once more before the season ends. I bet those roosters at Salt Slough are running like crazy. Think about how much these birds have been chased around since the first day with all the hunters going through.

Last edited:
My brother and I had a permit to hunt the Merced WMA which is part of Merceds water treatment plant, they have some really nice wetlands and the other two groups had a good duck hunt out there including some nice day mallards in the bag. I don't think there are many, or any wild pheasants (we did flush one hen) but there were quite a few left over planters from youth hunts they've held this year. The dogs had a good time and we brought home four roosters.

I was going to head to LB or Salt Slough tomorrow but JP got a cut on one of his front pads today and is pretty tender. Hopefully he's good to go by next weekend.

Last edited:
I was going to head to LB or Salt Slough tomorrow but JP got a gut on one of his front pads today and is pretty tender. Hopefully he's good to go by next weekend.

LOL. I got a bad toe instead of my dog. Hurts when shoe rubs on it. I am hoping it gets better by next week

I got a 2 year old Springer Spaniel Friday. Really nice dog. Quailhound told me that a concern might be the dog is gun shy. I tried shooting today and it appears the dog is gun shy. I live in the country so I fired a couple of shots while the dog was in the kennel. I didn't shoot right next to him. I was at least 50 feet away. The first shot the dog seemed to flinch a bit but nothing else. The second shot was alittle closer and the dog ran behind the dog house. I did not shoot in the direction of the dog but away from him. Not sure how much being in a strange place is affecting him. Only his second day at my house. I've started doing some research in addition to what quail hound told me and it appears this condition can be treated. It just takes some time. I am hoping to fix it. If not, at least I have a great family dog.

Last edited:
I got a 2 year old Springer Spaniel Friday. Really nice dog. Quailhound told me that a concern might be the dog is gun shy. I tried shooting today and it appears the dog is gun shy. I live in the country so I fired a couple of shots while the dog was in the kennel. I didn't shoot right next to him. I was at least 50 feet away. The first shot the dog seemed to flinch a bit but nothing else. The second shot was alittle closer and the dog ran behind the dog house. I did not shoot in the direction of the dog but away from him. Not sure how much being in a strange place is affecting him. Only his second day at my house. I've started doing some research in addition to what quail hound told me and it appears this condition can be treated. It just takes some time. I am hoping to fix it. If not, at least I have a great family dog.
Just a suggestion. STOP DOING THAT! If you thought the dog was gun shy before, it sure as heck is now. If you have to use a gun, get some .22 blanks that they use to drive nails and when he's eating get 100'- 200' away and shoot it one time away from his direction and see how he reacts. If he reacts, move even further away and try again after giving him a couple of days w/o sharp noise. You can make a slapper out of two 2' foot long pieces of 2X4. Hold the pieces at a 45 deg angle to one another wide side to wide side with the ends touching and then slam the flat sides together. The smoother the finish on the boards the louder noise you can generate. You can adjust the noise level with that tool and start acclimatizing at a low level and work up from there.
The dog has to associate guns with something pleasant. He still isn't part of your pack yet so his whole day is filled with anxiety. You may have dug a deep hole to get out of. The first step is to make him a part of your pack and get him happy with his home. Don't start gun training until that's not an issue.

Just a suggestion. STOP DOING THAT! If you thought the dog was gun shy before, it sure as heck is now. If you have to use a gun, get some .22 blanks that they use to drive nails and when he's eating get 100'- 200' away and shoot it one time away from his direction and see how he reacts. If he reacts, move even further away and try again after giving him a couple of days w/o sharp noise. You can make a slapper out of two 2' foot long pieces of 2X4. Hold the pieces at a 45 deg angle to one another wide side to wide side with the ends touching and then slam the flat sides together. The smoother the finish on the boards the louder noise you can generate. You can adjust the noise level with that tool and start acclimatizing at a low level and work up from there.
The dog has to associate guns with something pleasant. He still isn't part of your pack yet so his whole day is filled with anxiety. You may have dug a deep hole to get out of. The first step is to make him a part of your pack and get him happy with his home. Don't start gun training until that's not an issue.

Calamari,

I had no reason to believe the dog was gun shy. I just picked him up Friday. I emailed Robert (Quail Hound ) about the dog and he brought up that concern. I tried a couple of shots. After seeing the dog's reaction to the 2nd shot I put the gun away and started doing some reading.

BTW, thanks for the advice. Some have suggested using one of those starter pistols. Robert suggested a 22 rifle but I don't have one of those. I can probably find someone that does but I am reluctant to fire rifles around my property. I've read that it can be a long process and that's okay. I've got a lot of time.

I have some experience with a gun shy dog (my dads), it is a long process to fix but doable. The best way is to build the dogs prey drive with birds, build a johnny house or pigeon loft and get some bobwhite quail or pigeons to train with. Pigeons are cheap and will home to a loft once they've raised a brood there, quail are a little more expensive but will recall to a johnny house if you use it correctly. Get the dog amped on birds, let him chase them. When he is finding, flushing, and chasing birds with gusto you can shoot a .22 blank when he is far off (75+ yds) chasing and he shouldn't even notice. Work slowly back from there making sure you're getting no reaction every step closer and eventually you'll be shooting over him. It helps if the dog already has high drive but if not the chase should build it. You should be able to find a .22 blank training pistol and loads cheap at a sporting goods store if needed. Let me know if you need any help.:cheers:

The first step is to make him a part of your pack and get him happy with his home. Don't start gun training until that's not an issue.

I agree totally with this. Now is the time to bond and get him acclimated to his new setting.

Back