Who needed more training...the hunter or his dog?

519vx

Was out yesterday on a PHG here in Wisconsin and came across a guy and a dog that BOTH needed a bunch of training. The guy had what looked to be a middle aged GSP. He had a loud, very loud beeper collar on it. He also had the "hawk screech" option turned on, and he himself had a training whistle he blew and blew and blew almost non-stop. :eek:

Granted sometimes PHG isn't the place for solitude, but this was simply ridiculous. He was quite a distance from me, but imagine almost all at once the loud beeper, hawk screech and this chucklehead blow the whistle. It seemed the only time he'd stop with the whistle was to pause to take in another breath so he could keep blowing the darn thing...wow!

Couldn't agree more... guy on my morning hunt had a beeper running on his dog. They were several hundred yards away and I could still hear it. I don't know why you need that field hunting. I can understand having it in point mode, but constant is just annoying.

As for the whistle, most folks need to swallow it. It should only be needed when turning or calling the dog to you.

Hate that short bus backing up noise out there when I'm hunting.

Fortunately it's getting to be that part of the season when the goofballs start staying home.

Pity the poor dog. Impossible to figure out what the master wanted with the incessant noise. :eek:

Last edited:
At first I thought you must have run into me that day, but I was not out in a Wi PHG on 11/8.
There must be some reason all these beeper collars have been developed and sold over the years ?
If you run into this guy in the Evansville area its probably me, just give a holler and I'll turn it off for a while (if I can here anything).

:laugh: does this bring back memories! I went to SD years ago with a guy that blew his whistle evry 5 seconds! I actually laid down in tall grass so this guy wouldnt see me laughing my arse off ! It was priceless! Ill never forget it and enough time has passed that its now a 'fond' memory. :D never hunted with him again after that trip

I've always thought the silent hunter had the better chance to find birds, so it was really a hoot one day when I lived in Topeka KS and was hunting a public land spot out west. My friend and I had just finished our hunt when 4 guys with 4 dogs pulled in and asked how we did---we told them that we had got 3 nice roosters and had bumped a covey of Quail--well they got the dogs out turned on the beepers and took off--I don't think I could have kept up with them but we sure didn't have any trouble knowing where they were--BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP--I'm sure every pheasant a no trouble avoiding them BEEP BEEP BEEP. To this day when John and I get together one of us will always go BEEP BEEP BEEP and we both break up. Oh ya and after a short lunch break we went back out on the same spot found the quail covey and got another rooster--neither of us went BEEP BEEP BEEP :D

I use a beeper on my dog but have it on "point only". I really have no choice. My dog is out of sight within seconds unless we are hunting a short cut field. I do not like the constant beeping. I run across a lot of guys though that must not mind it. To each their own I guess.

In all honesty, I don't know what to think about its effect on the birds. I do not think I have stumbled across any true "wild" birds yet this season, but the ones in the freezer sure didn't mind the beeping? Some people even claim that the beeping will get the bird to hunker down even tighter? Would be interesting to do an experiment in a controlled setting. I cannot stand that hawk scream though and it startles the dog.

Regarding the whistle....I thought that most dogs are trained with quick short blasts? Poor dog was probably confused as hell. I use the tone feature on the collar....so nice not having to ever yell.

I use beepers also....on point mode only. I have been using a beeper of some sort since the mid 90's and I don't think it has made any effect on my hunting success. back in the day we used to set them on hawk scream...the old Lovetts collars....they were the cats meow back then. I had bout 6 of them because one or 2 would always crap out in wet weather....and I always had 2 dogs. Best of all is to have a beeper collar you can turn off and on from the transmitter than you can run it silent and use a locater beep to tell where dog is ...Idk...I like a dog that has some range...I use very few voice or whistle commands and only say something to the dog when needed...if I need his attention I give a light quail whistle and he changes direction..or I point him to where I want him to go....I try to be quiet other than that. I'm sure a beeper alerts birds sometimes but most of the time I think its people talking and things that really hurt you. Most people don't like hunting with me because I don't like talking going on while I'm hunting. Its the worst thing you can do for alerting game...and play the wind....wind carries sound a LONG way. just my .02

Back