Who Hunts With A Field Cocker?

westksbowhunter

I like everything I read and see online about field cockers. At my age, I struggle and lack the desire to keep up with my labradors. Wouldn't mind a smaller tight quartering cocker.

I like everything I read and see online about field cockers. At my age, I struggle and lack the desire to keep up with my labradors. Wouldn't mind a smaller tight quartering cocker.
I personally think, as with any dog such as an English cocker or springer spaniel that training is the key. Any dog will run wild without it. My spaniels were trained to respond to electronic beep to hold up from flush. They typically work within about 15-20 yards unless on a visible running bird- then all bets are likely off.
At one time I considered a pointer too.

Don't remember the names, but watched a few YouTube videos of guys chasing roosters with cockers. Grew up with springers and can't imagine the cockers being anything but the compact version.

Think the CZ upland hunting show gas a dog guy, Randy Lack (?) using a cocker.

I personally think, as with any dog such as an English cocker or springer spaniel that training is the key. Any dog will run wild without it. My spaniels were trained to respond to electronic beep to hold up from flush. They typically work within about 15-20 yards unless on a visible running bird- then all bets are likely off.
At one time I considered a pointer too.
I understand what you are saying. But my dogs are so powerful and have so much drive that they would have to walk to stay within 15-20 yds. I would not buy a puppy, but a fully trained dog. I have one found, that is just over a year old. Trained by Jason Givens at Lighthouse Kennels. Also been talking with Mark at Pine Shadows but think I would prefer the smaller cocker but just wondered how they would handle the heavy CRP, and if their size would hurt them in any capacity given the cover I hunt. Giving $6500 give or take isn't a problem for me. Mark said that is about what a 1 year old started dog would be from Pine Shadows.

I understand what you are saying. But my dogs are so powerful and have so much drive that they would have to walk to stay within 15-20 yds. I would not buy a puppy, but a fully trained dog. I have one found, that is just over a year old. Trained by Jason Givens at Lighthouse Kennels. Also been talking with Mark at Pine Shadows but think I would prefer the smaller cocker but just wondered how they would handle the heavy CRP, and if their size would hurt them in any capacity given the cover I hunt. Giving $6500 give or take isn't a problem for me. Mark said that is about what a 1 year old started dog would be from Pine Shadows.
I’ve got a friend with a nice cocker, he’s a blast to have around. I’m not trying to ruffle any feathers here but he’s an accessory to the hunt and other dogs. Makes some retrieves and does his best, but wouldn’t put up many wild birds on his own.

I’ve got a friend with a nice cocker, he’s a blast to have around. I’m not trying to ruffle any feathers here but he’s an accessory to the hunt and other dogs. Makes some retrieves and does his best, but wouldn’t put up many wild birds on his own.
Is he field bred out of titled dogs? That's what I would buy. The dog I am considering is out of an FC-AFC sire and a NFC dam.

Field bred yes, titled I’m not sure. He has a huge heart and give tons of effort. His best days are always in thin cover on quail hunts as a retriever, on those days he fits in well. Thick grass or weeds wear him down, and has issues marking birds due to line of sight. My opinion and have been around only this one dog.

Field bred yes, titled I’m not sure. He has a huge heart and give tons of effort. His best days are always in thin cover on quail hunts as a retriever, on those days he fits in well. Thick grass or weeds wear him down, and has issues marking birds due to line of sight. My opinion and have been around only this one dog.
Well that's what I wanted to here. Their size was of concern to me. I did talk with Mark at pine Shadows at length so maybe a Springer is a better option.

I haven't weighed in on this because I've never hunted over a cocker. But I do know that the English developed them to hunt woodcock in the woods. I think they are cool, but I'd go with the springers. Especially since there are so many guys on here that can help you find a great one,

I’ve hunted with cockers many times but always been for quail and they were the flusher/retriever after the pointers found the birds. I have given a ton of thought about getting one but am concerned about their ability in thick, tall stuff like we hunt. I have no doubt there are dogs out there that could do it but it seems like for what I’m looking to do springers remain the best option for me.

My opinion is I have had springers in the past very fun too hunt behind currently I have two pointers I have trained all the dogs I’ve ever had that being said I believe if a person takes a well bred English cocker pup and works it solo no other dogs to take the spotlight heavy cover cattails, crp or whichever that pup will excel and be that promising athlete your looking for the guys that make them hup until flush and retrieve are holding back their potential but that’s just my opinion

I switched from spaniels to labs about 10 years ago and hunted over small, british labs for several years. Last year I bought a springer pup from a very good breeder from excellent lines. She's a blast to own and hunt with, even if she's almost as ugly as a setter. She's leggy and fairly light boned, and just rips through cover. Probably took a good season or 2 before my labs developed a sense of range and pace, so I chalk some of it up to puppy exuberance, but if I wanted to hunt slower than I hunt with labs, I don't know if any spaniel would be the first breed that I looked at, and definitely not a springer. I always figured when I get too old to really hunt, and I just want to walk and shoot, I'd buy a pointing dog. Food for thought. I also noticed, not for nothing, that the spaniel tires more quickly than my labs, especially in thick CRP, and the couple times she tried to bust cattails with the labradors in SD and MN, it was laughable. One time she springer-jumped into a slough and got stuck on the top of a stand of cattails, unable to get her paws to the ground. It was like a cartoon.

There was a guy on this site, Natty Bumpo. He's a retired veterinarian from Michigan. He was into Field Cockers and very knowledgeable about the breed. Haven't seen him on here for a couple of years. I know he's up in his 80's so hope he is still with us. If you look up his name on this site you might try sending him a PM.

I would recommend talking to Gene Barnhart he has bred and trained field bred Cockers for a long time. 360-798-0325

There was a guy on this site, Natty Bumpo. He's a retired veterinarian from Michigan. He was into Field Cockers and very knowledgeable about the breed. Haven't seen him on here for a couple of years. I know he's up in his 80's so hope he is still with us. If you look up his name on this site you might try sending him a PM.
I hunted with him for a day in Sd about 5-6 years ago. He was a real classy guy and had a couple of great little dogs. Really active and great little bird finders in the CRP when we hunted some. He had them trained very well.

I am first time owner of a field cocker. I previously had two Pine Shadow Springers. The Springers were very good hunters, but not as good as this cocker! He has incredible drive in all types of cover. He also hunts cripples extremely well!

I am first time owner of a field cocker. I previously had two Pine Shadow Springers. The Springers were very good hunters, but not as good as this cocker! He has incredible drive in all types of cover. He also hunts cripples extremely well!
Good to hear. If I were to go with a Springer I was going to buy a started dog from Pine Shadows. But my goal is to buy 2 of whatever I choose. Where did you get your Cocker?

Back