Which Barrel First For Over/Under

Which barrel first for Over/Under

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Bottom

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters

Munster927

Since I grabbed my first over/under shotgun, I'm curious which barrel you guys shoot first. My dad's been shooting an over/under for over 30 years and has always used his top barrel first. I'll probably use my under first after reading various things online but it got me curious what the folks here prefer.

Since I grabbed my first over/under shotgun, I'm curious which barrel you guys shoot first. My dad's been shooting an over/under for over 30 years and has always used his top barrel first. I'll probably use my under first after reading various things online but it got me curious what the folks here prefer.
I think the difference is negligible which ever way your choose. I do bottom barrel since I had chosen that early on due to random reasoning that probably doesn't make sense but once you have 1 way, it's much better to stay the same so you don't mix up which choke you end up shooting later.

I think the difference is negligible which ever way your choose. I do bottom barrel since I had chosen that early on due to random reasoning that probably doesn't make sense but once you have 1 way, it's much better to stay the same so you don't mix up which choke you end up shooting later.
Yeah my dad's reasoning behind top first is that he believes it's easier to load a 3rd shell for a quick follow up in the top barrel versus bottom barrel.

Last edited:
Yeah my dad's reasoning behind top first is that he believes it's easier to load a 3rd she'll for a quick follow up in the top barrel versus bottom barrel.
Interesting. I could see that being slightly better. But very heavy stress on slightly.

I think the biggest one I actually believe. The bottom barrels recoil is more inline with the stock which means it won't raise your gun as much from a shot. Which allows for easier follow up shot. But again I think that effect is pretty slight and almost no one would be able to tell the difference without extensive practice.

Interesting. I could see that being slightly better. But very heavy stress on slightly.

I think the biggest one I actually believe. The bottom barrels recoil is more inline with the stock which means it won't raise your gun as much from a shot. Which allows for easier follow up shot. But again I think that effect is pretty slight and almost no one would be able to tell the difference without extensive practice.
Yeah he says it feels faster to him but I'm sure if he used bottom first all these years he'd say loading bottom barrel first is faster haha it's just what he's used to and comfortable with.

Yeah I've seen the same with the less recoil which is why I'm using bottom barrel first but i agree it's probably a minimal difference.

I think the tradition is bottom barrel first. This being traced to the old days of fixed choke only shotguns. Almost every fixed choke O/U you find will have the more open choke on the bottom barrel.

Now there is the inline recoil group and there is the less muzzle jump group and probably a few others. I just go with tradition and set up my screw in chokes the old fashioned way.

Yes, tradition is with the bottom barrel first since the bottom barrel was usually choked more open in fixed choked barrels and since it is supposedly less muzzle jump so faster recovery for the second shot.

I learned on fixed choke O/U so I continue to shoot the lower open choke first (even in my choke tubed guns) but a buddy of mine thinks it is easier/faster to reload the top barrel, so he shoots his O/U top barrel first.

I doubt if he can load his top barrel any fastener than I load my bottom barrel so do as you like.

I agree with everyone so far, except I’m not sure I could reload the top barrel faster than the bottom barrel. Hunting over my pointing dog, i always shoot bottom barrel first. (It has the more open choke) but when shooting sporting clays, it depends on the station. But I always have the open choke bottom and tighter choke top.

Bottom for me. For the question of reloading the barrels...it's a mute point as the birds are long gone after two shots. Unless, of course we're talking about quail and yep, in my case, those suckers are gone as well.

I shot my 1st o/u top barrel 1st for years before I found out I was supposed to shoot the bottom barrel 1st. I switched but didn't notice any difference.

I had a very good clay shooter explain to me that you shoot the bottom barrel first. It is more in-line with the stock "pushing" the recoil into your body more (less barrel upward flip). The second shot is the top barrel which tends to lift the barrel more from the recoil. This helps keep your eye/aim for the follow up shot. Hope this make sense!

Bottom first has less felt recoil and barrel jump. Top first is quicker to reload after one shot.

I shoot bottom first.

In O/Us with no barrel-selective safety, the bottom is first for the reasons discussed above. As far as getting on target shots, there is only 3/4 of an inch difference in barrel height which is of zero significance when shooting a shot shell.

So, if shooting sxs vs o/u, what's the order of firing barrels? Been looking at a few models fixed and screw-in chokes. Always wondered order.

Everything I've read is right barrel but that's because most sxs are a double trigger and I think you fire the forward trigger first which is tied to the right barrel?

One thing I read said it's a "safety" feature but to me, shooting forward barrel first seems less safe since you could slip and pull the rear trigger when you weren't expecting it?

I've never owned or even fired a sxs. I'd maybe want one if I could get one with a single trigger with a selectable barrel like an over/under.

Everything I've read is right barrel but that's because most sxs are a double trigger and I think you fire the forward trigger first which is tied to the right barrel?

One thing I read said it's a "safety" feature but to me, shooting forward barrel first seems less safe since you could slip and pull the rear trigger when you weren't expecting it?

I've never owned or even fired a sxs. I'd maybe want one if I could get one with a single trigger with a selectable barrel like an over/under.
That safety issue seems spot on. Buddy tried a sxs this past fall for "nostalgia"...first flush excitement...BOTH BARRELS. Sharptail didnt stand a chance! 😂

Agree with single select if I venture to sxs. Barely, BARELY, used to the o/u...plus I'm and oddball shooting top barrel first. Gives me a whole new excuse for misses... "recoil" from the 20 gun knocked me off target.

Back