Where's all the Nebraska guys?

Lefty76-
Best thing about those pics is your son being in them. I never fully appreciated what getting youth out hunting can do until the pandemic hit, when kids were stuck at home and spending most of the day on their devices. That will rot your mind. I fretted over what my son would do all day. Outdoor activities were a God send, as my son(HS senior) went hunting, fishing, dog training, mushroom hunting, camping, ALL because he was a hunter.
Those activities are REAL, not a representation or video on the other side of a screen. Kids need something real, tangible they can experience and hold on to. Hunting is a gateway to all that and exposes them to everything. That includes girls also. My daughters love to go, they just don't carry a gun. They love to see the dogs, take pictures, experience nature's beauty, exercise, all part of our family hunting.

Please don't take this lightly. And boldly defend these activities! I was way too apologetic about hunting in the past.

Also Lefty76, bring a friend of your son's on occasion. Kids don't hunt anymore. It will 100% help them. My family did not hunt, so I was dependent on others to shepherd me into these activities.
But you know all this, look at your life. My son is now dragging his buddies up into the sandhills to hunt grouse. Clueless Lincoln boys, who need to see the rest of the state.

All because of hunting.

Sermon's over, now a hunting report.
I hunt in the eastern part of the state. Very few pheasants, but more than last year(like 1 or 2). Quail pops seem to be up from last year. Seeing bigger coveys, but, it has been SO dry, it is very tough for the dog to find them. Never seen anything like it. Got a little rain a few weeks back, and it was like it grew coveys, they popped up all over. Just from a little moisture.

Blessings and Happy Hunting!

Merry Christmas, y'all!
My dad was very flawed, but he was an avid bird hunter.He started taking me when I was 10. We duck hunted, and hunted birds.My dad had money, so we would go out in the boonies of montana, and motel it. He bought me a t bone every night, big breakfast, big lunch. All I had to do was clean birds and take care of his 2 springers. He taught me a lot, and if I did anything unsafe, he chewed my butt out! Getting kids out bird hunting is very important. I can't stress that enough.

My dad was very flawed, but he was an avid bird hunter.He started taking me when I was 10. We duck hunted, and hunted birds.My dad had money, so we would go out in the boonies of montana, and motel it. He bought me a t bone every night, big breakfast, big lunch. All I had to do was clean birds and take care of his 2 springers. He taught me a lot, and if I did anything unsafe, he chewed my butt out! Getting kids out bird hunting is very important. I can't stress that enough.
Goose, you must have learned much from his good traits and wise enough to forget the negative traits. You chose the right path. God Bless

Thanks for all the kind words about my son. He turned 10 this year, finally old enough for a Nebraska deer permit! He filled both his antlerless tags, but hasn't connected on a buck yet. We'll get out over Christmss break with the muzzleloader. My deer rifle will be retired for a few years. At least until he's old enough to sit by himself, which I hope isn't for a long time! We get out once or twice a week, just him, my Dad, myself and a dog. Hopefully he gets one this season. Either way, he's still anxious to go.

My youngest boy, 7, is not nearly as excited as his brother about the outdoors. Hopefully that will change as he gets a little older.

Bird
That is my parents place. My Grandpa bought that farm in '86 or '87. The majority of it has been in the CRP program from day one. Grandpa passed away in '99. I can remember him driving me around the farm after he bought it, I would have been 10 or 11 at the time. He said his grandkids would always have a place to hunt. My folks have 220 acres of it nowView attachment 4814, and my aunt has 100 that adjoin it. The fish are tin catfish that I got them for Christmas a few years ago. Here is a better pic of the display they put up. They do have a beautiful view. Their house overlooks the pond.
Hunters paradise

We are going to SD and Iowa so we can see some!

Back