Where's all the Nebraska guys?

I'll play! Here are some from opening weekend in Northeast NE. This is my 10 year old's first season carrying a gun. I've got him shots at a half dozen birds, he hasn't connected yet but I know that he is hooked. If he doesn't get one soon I'm going to start calling him "Goose's nephew!" In the last pic his Grandpa was showing him how to get it done. 20221029_093127.jpg20221030_155755_2.jpg20221030_170454_2.jpg

Last edited:
Lefty, you are doing great with the boy, he has the hardware to get it done! I remember starting with my father's hand-me-down 870 WIngmaster, fixed full choke with the kick-pad removed to make it a bit easier to shoulder. We were poor dirt farmers. I went seasons without connecting with that set-up, but I was happy going out with dad and carrying any gun. After several years of struggling, he got me a modified choke barrel with a vent rib, that made things a bit easier for a kid. I got a youth sized Mossy for my boy at that age and he shot better that I could have ever dreamed about as a kid. Sadly it didn't stick with him. Maybe someday when his life settles down he might get back to it.

Is that the same bird he re-retrieved into the bedroom?
Lol! Nope! The bedroom bird was shot in Iowa. I have no doubt that if my wife hadn't interrupted, I would've walked out of the bathroom to find him sitting proudly next to all three of those birds. I guess you could say she ruined a special moment?!

Well you sure have to have a sense of humor with dogs, especially the pups. My 9 mo. old lab pup is always in trouble.

Exactly! I tell my wife all the time that a tired dog is a good dog. She very rarely complains about the time I spend working birds with our dogs!

Are those fish hanging from the sign? It looks like you might have a great view from your place.

Lefty, I love the large printed phone number printed on your dog's collar. My GSP has left his containment area 3 times in the last week, I have changed the setting on the underground fence to expand the zone and bumped up the stimuation on the collar...hope that works, he has stayed in for the past couple days now. BUT, this dog is stand-offish with people, you are not likely to be able to get your hands on him, if he doesn't know you. With that collar you can read the number without having it in you hands. Nice. I recently ordered 3 more of the brass stamped ID tags for collars, but where did you get the one with the large print?

Lefty, I love the large printed phone number printed on your dog's collar. My GSP has left his containment area 3 times in the last week, I have changed the setting on the underground fence to expand the zone and bumped up the stimuation on the collar...hope that works, he has stayed in for the past couple days now. BUT, this dog is stand-offish with people, you are not likely to be able to get your hands on him, if he doesn't know you. With that collar you can read the number without having it in you hands. Nice. I recently ordered 3 more of the brass stamped ID tags for collars, but where did you get the one with the large print?
I get them from Orvis. The orange color seems to hold up the best. I got one of the dogs a neon yellow collar last year and by the end of the season it was harder to read than the orange. They aren't too expensive either, I think I paid $25 per collar. They are on sale frequently, $5 oof usually.

Are those fish hanging from the sign? It looks like you might have a great view from your place.
That is my parents place. My Grandpa bought that farm in '86 or '87. The majority of it has been in the CRP program from day one. Grandpa passed away in '99. I can remember him driving me around the farm after he bought it, I would have been 10 or 11 at the time. He said his grandkids would always have a place to hunt. My folks have 220 acres of it now20221111_151152~2.jpg, and my aunt has 100 that adjoin it. The fish are tin catfish that I got them for Christmas a few years ago. Here is a better pic of the display they put up. They do have a beautiful view. Their house overlooks the pond.

Lefty76-
Best thing about those pics is your son being in them. I never fully appreciated what getting youth out hunting can do until the pandemic hit, when kids were stuck at home and spending most of the day on their devices. That will rot your mind. I fretted over what my son would do all day. Outdoor activities were a God send, as my son(HS senior) went hunting, fishing, dog training, mushroom hunting, camping, ALL because he was a hunter.
Those activities are REAL, not a representation or video on the other side of a screen. Kids need something real, tangible they can experience and hold on to. Hunting is a gateway to all that and exposes them to everything. That includes girls also. My daughters love to go, they just don't carry a gun. They love to see the dogs, take pictures, experience nature's beauty, exercise, all part of our family hunting.

Please don't take this lightly. And boldly defend these activities! I was way too apologetic about hunting in the past.

Also Lefty76, bring a friend of your son's on occasion. Kids don't hunt anymore. It will 100% help them. My family did not hunt, so I was dependent on others to shepherd me into these activities.
But you know all this, look at your life. My son is now dragging his buddies up into the sandhills to hunt grouse. Clueless Lincoln boys, who need to see the rest of the state.

All because of hunting.

Sermon's over, now a hunting report.
I hunt in the eastern part of the state. Very few pheasants, but more than last year(like 1 or 2). Quail pops seem to be up from last year. Seeing bigger coveys, but, it has been SO dry, it is very tough for the dog to find them. Never seen anything like it. Got a little rain a few weeks back, and it was like it grew coveys, they popped up all over. Just from a little moisture.

Blessings and Happy Hunting!

Merry Christmas, y'all!

I'll play! Here are some from opening weekend in Northeast NE. This is my 10 year old's first season carrying a gun. I've got him shots at a half dozen birds, he hasn't connected yet but I know that he is hooked. If he doesn't get one soon I'm going to start calling him "Goose's nephew!" In the last pic his Grandpa was showing him how to get it done. View attachment 4770View attachment 4771View attachment 4772
Looks like a bird hunter.My nephew is 27!!

Back