Where to go.....South Dakota

Where's the rooster'? I am not seeing any much. I don't know where to go NE south dakota, SE south dakota, or central? Nothing looks promising for mid season yet.

Where's the rooster'? I am not seeing any much. I don't know where to go NE south dakota, SE south dakota, or central? Nothing looks promising for mid season yet.
What makes you say this? Based on 35 years of avid hunting in the same areas & paying pretty close attention to weather & habitat conditions, I'd say my area of east-central/southeastern SD should have a pretty good year. Probably a bit better than least year, which was good. For a single hunter (or very small group) with experienced dog(s) on public land, anyway.

Four to five of us going in November, hunting ten days on public ground. We'll probably be running all over the state east of the Missouri. I'm hopeful, just wondering what other folks were thinking. Last year wasn't good for us, the year before was pretty much awesome!

I would look inside a box from Mitchell to Winner to Mobridge to Aberdeen back to Mitchell. I am sure there are other areas and that is a large area.

NE South Dakota is not that great. What are you looking for? How many hunters? How many days?
They told us that last year too. We took a break after the first hour to unload our birds and have lunch. Our group had no problem bringing
home our limit. Difference might be we hunt on private land.

Birds.jpg

They told us that last year too. We took a break after the first hour to unload our birds and have lunch. Our group had no problem bringing
home our limit. Difference might be we hunt on private land.

View attachment 4096
Yeah it makes a difference if you hunt on private ground, especially if you pay for hunt. We plan on exploring any and all areas that we can drive to. Thanks for the info.

I'm going for the opener. Staying in Aberdeen and hunting only public. Living my motto haha.

Four to five of us going in November, hunting ten days on public ground. We'll probably be running all over the state east of the Missouri. I'm hopeful, just wondering what other folks were thinking. Last year wasn't good for us, the year before was pretty much awesome!
That redfield area looks good.

Back