Where to go...MT ID SD?

Friend and I are talking about doing a hunt, potentially in Montana, but we are also considering other places. He's in western ID and I'm down in CA. I was hot on MT, and eager to visit my childhood areas in central MT and the Glasgow area. But researching the drought data shows those areas have been hard hit this past couple of years with drought. That would normally say the upland bird populations are way down. I'm recently retired and was hoping for an epic trip to MT. It's not sounding too good.

I'm looking for any firsthand information on bird populations in the areas from Great Falls, east over to Fort Peck. Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: PTM
A bad year in MT upland is a great year elsewhere!!! NE MT is where I have some experience with success as recent as the fall of 2020. Staying closer to my turf for now as gas prices etc have increased. GO for it, its all an adventure.

A bad year in MT upland is a great year elsewhere!!! NE MT is where I have some experience with success as recent as the fall of 2020. Staying closer to my turf for now as gas prices etc have increased. GO for it, its all an adventure.

I reviewed 3 years of rainfall in north central MT, specifically Shelby, Havre, and Tiber Dam/Lake Elwell. Looks grim. Hardly a drop of precipitation for 2 years. I'm thinking the grasses are dead and gone like we had down in CA a half dozen years ago.

Friend and I are talking about doing a hunt, potentially in Montana, but we are also considering other places. He's in western ID and I'm down in CA. I was hot on MT, and eager to visit my childhood areas in central MT and the Glasgow area. But researching the drought data shows those areas have been hard hit this past couple of years with drought. That would normally say the upland bird populations are way down. I'm recently retired and was hoping for an epic trip to MT. It's not sounding too good.

I'm looking for any firsthand information on bird populations in the areas from Great Falls, east over to Fort Peck. Any help is appreciated.
I work up in Montana every few weeks. Travel a lot of miles. The drought has been really bad. Lack of good CRP has made it worse. If you go, I've no doubt you'll have fun, but don't expect a lot of birds. 10 years ago it could be really good and I hunted it a lot. The past few years, since the 2017 drought I've just not thought it worth the effort. And now with gas sky high, makes the decision even easier.

I reviewed 3 years of rainfall in north central MT, specifically Shelby, Havre, and Tiber Dam/Lake Elwell. Looks grim. Hardly a drop of precipitation for 2 years. I'm thinking the grasses are dead and gone like we had down in CA a half dozen years ago.
Ummm,no.

Try Bainville

Back