Where to go in December?

Take snowshoes. When you buy them make sure you get the size you need including the weight of your gun, ammo, boots, water bottle,etc. Fur traders in MI has a good buy on some Tubbs right now

I've said something similar to this on here before. Not that many years ago, I said I'd quit before I shot released birds. Then within a few short years, wild quail are all but gone. Nearest wild pheasant populations are now 14 + hours away. Since then, I've changed my tune. I've also learned that there are two different kinds of pen raised birds. Shooting preserve birds are often slow dumb birds. On the other hand, put and take state operations birds can get very wild after a few days of being chased by about 10 different predators. I've found that if I let crowds of idiots leave, It can be as close to wild birds as you can get. They'll also come a day when even though your legs are shot, you'll look down at your dog, who's as feeble as you and say come on boy, let's go shoot some birds like we did when we were young!!!

If anyone is interested in a different upland experience check out eastern Oregon. Lots of quail and chukar on public land. Fairly liberal limits, 10 quail and 8 chukar daily.

Hunt what you have access to. Someday I might move to be 30 minutes away from my prime hunting locations, but until then, I will put up with being 10 minutes away. I know I am spoiled/lucky to have the access I have to birds.

Game farms (deer and elk) have ruined hunting ... they sell high-priced hunts for wall trophies and despite their efforts (at least they say they do) they ARE the reason CWD is spreading !
Big thumbs down on game farms, and the people who own them. Karma will get them.

If you had one state to hunt in the month of December where would it be? I used to go to Kansas but haven't been in a few years and with droughts and struggling bird numbers I'm not sure I'm ready to go back. I've got a young pup that needs some bird exposure and I'm hoping to get a 4 day weekend hunt in before Christmas and am looking for ideas.
The older I get the easier it gets to answer... FLORIDA...Maybe shoot some iguanas. Is there a pelican season??

The older I get the easier it gets to answer... FLORIDA...Maybe shoot some iguanas. Is there a pelican season??
No, pelicans are protected. Quail & squirrel are open into part of March. Then gobbler opens later that month. I played intercollegiate golf at UCF. Saw quail nearly every day, but really tough to get permission.

In my opinion, pen raised birds do have a place depending on a person’s age and experience, a dogs age and experience, one’s health, available time, where you live, resources and so on.
It starts with pen raised pheasants and what does it lead to? Elk that act like cattle? Food for thought...

It has already led to that. Those exist. You can shoot pen raised deer and elk. Been around for many years.

Last edited:
I love hearing male bobwites calling while golfing in the South. Bob Bob white !
I played Victoria National a couple years ago and heard probably 12-15 different male Bobs calling. For a little bird they sure are loud. Also heard turkeys gobbling there.

The trip would be 3-4 days max, snow/blizzards is why I have reservations about ND/SD but bird numbers are more important for the pup and to get him some experience.

The trip would be 3-4 days max, snow/blizzards is why I have reservations about ND/SD but bird numbers are more important for the pup and to get him some experience.
That time of year is the best IMO… especially if you and your dog want to bust your a$$ through the cattails, because that’s where all the birds are going to be. It takes the guess work out of it, because the birds will be in the thickest nastiest cover near food. Snow shoes make it easier, but it’s a workout. When you can watch a couple hundreds birds get up in a day it makes it all worth it.

So SD it is apparently, hopefully the little dog can hold his own, figure it out, and pin some birds down for me. Now to figure out where to start. Thanks everyone!

I've said something similar to this on here before. Not that many years ago, I said I'd quit before I shot released birds. Then within a few short years, wild quail are all but gone. Nearest wild pheasant populations are now 14 + hours away. Since then, I've changed my tune. I've also learned that there are two different kinds of pen raised birds. Shooting preserve birds are often slow dumb birds. On the other hand, put and take state operations birds can get very wild after a few days of being chased by about 10 different predators. I've found that if I let crowds of idiots leave, It can be as close to wild birds as you can get. They'll also come a day when even though your legs are shot, you'll look down at your dog, who's as feeble as you and say come on boy, let's go shoot some birds like we did when we were young!!!
Forgive me for replying to my own post but here's an example of wild pen raised birds. Day before yesterday, my grandson and I hunted late afternoon. One ran off and couldn't relocate. One got up wild and he missed it. One ran like a wild bird and held, and he killed it. Ran into one guy. Last night, 4 contacts, one didn't fly well and got into very heave greenbrier, didn't pursue. Two flushed out of range with no shots and one pointed and killed. Saw two guys in the distance. Both evenings about 5 miles.

Back