Where is Safari

Chip

Ok guys you have to admit it is way to quite around here. We need Safari the soothsayer and great prognosticator of all things pheasants to give us his predication of this up coming season. SAFARI where are you

Maybe we can get something going. We rarely here from the interesting guys like Uguide and
And Benelli Banger any more

Chris is probably knee deep in farm work and getting hunts set up.....the closer it gets to the road count survey being posted the more activity we'll see...I scored my non resident waterfowl license.....so we'll be up Oct. 21st for 6 days......Duck in the morning pheasant in the afternoon.....

Good luck. Half of my crew is from South Bend. We will be hunting Chris's farm an the 4th week

He runs a great operation.....wealth of knowledge as well regarding habitat....good luck on your hunt.....I'm only 45 min from South Bend...I have season tickets for the Irish..

Just signed up my crop acres in CSP this morning. The NRCS guy lives in Corsica and he got 7 windows blown out of his house from the hail storm.

The good news is he said he counted about 200 pheasants on the road on his way to work in Lake Andes this morning. Very dewy and foggy this morning. Other than that...dry...I think we are in a D0-D1 drought status.

Just .08 here--still better than 0.0 that I've had for the last 25 days. :(

Greetings! Been out to SD twice this summer...things look decent, have heard decent to good reports...despite a 60% drop from 2012, last season was a blast! did really well on many public spots that I had not hunted before...give me cover, be it public or private, and my dogs, and a double gun, and I am a grinning! Guess what, there are birds out in most fields...these things are pretty tough, pretty persistent, and pretty crafty...been around for 100 years or so in SD...not going away unless the habitat goes away...much has, but much hasn't...one guy or one group can only hunt so much ground in a day, or a week, or even a season...enjoy the upcoming fall!!!!

I must admit, I am not a fan of church, or meetings...of almost any type. I hate sitting there, knowing I can't get up and leave! If there was a church that cost more, or, was a bit harder to get to, but once there, the service was done in ten minutes, and then I could mingle, and eat doughnuts and drink coffee, and flirt with the ladies, I would go to that church! Again, sorry to pick on church...nothing against it, or spirituality...I am merely commenting on the process, the rigidity, the convention of the whole deal...keep in mind I was raised catholic.

As far as pheasant hunting goes...to go way out of my way to ensure that my hunt is over as quickly as possible? I don't quite get it! My dogs and I pal around 365 days a year, but we actually hunt together 10% of that time...not nearly enough! I get such a rush out of watching those animals do their thing, I just cannot imagine wanting to be done with the hunt in an hour or two! Let's face it, if 2-4 guys with good dogs abide by the daily limit, it ain't that hard to collect 6-12 roosters, even in bad years, in areas that are only decent...not saying it happens every day, but you get my point...some people probably get a lot of use out of their smartfone, and bore people to death at cocktail parties forcing them to watch all of the birds they flushed at "the last best place" because the hunt was done so soon...A MILLION BIRDS IN THIS COUNTY ALONE!!!!!! Funny, corn has a two-handle again in my area of SD...whoda thunk it just 2 -3 years ago? Think a few farmers are gonna tip over this year? Think a few will reconsider cash rent of $200-400, or, buying ground at 5-10k/acre? Think some ground MAY find its way back into CRP in the next few years, especially in areas where it isn't top ground to begin with? I don't know...I have been getting pretty good reports from my farmer buddies over the past month...granted, nothing will be remotely like the big years that we saw over the past 20 or so years...but I simply hope to get 5+ hours of enjoyable hunting in per day each day I am out there, if possible, and enjoy my guns, dogs, friends, and senses, not exactly in that order, either...

Back