Whats your Dog Kennel like???

burls

:confused: I was wondering what people do for their dog kennels??? I have a 2 dog kennels that sit on dirt/straw/bark chips ..inside a 40 yard by 10 yard run area. I am going to put a concrete pad in for the kennel to sit on...any suggestions??? Does the top of pad need to be finished in a certain way or just need to be fairly level and fairly smooth. I have 2 labs and a shorthair. My yougest lab(16months) and the shortrhair( 9 months) will remain outside. 2nd lab is older and stays inside. I would love to see pict's of your kennels or just get some advice seeing how i am attempting this myself. Thanks

Definitely put a slope in it so it drains when you hose it off or it rains. I have a 8' x 16' pad that slopes about 8" over the 16 feet, and have a trough with a drain into a pit I dug that has 1/2 of a 55 gallon plastic drum dug into the ground. The trough has a grate on top, and the waste/water drains through pea-rock into the tub. The tub has holes in the bottom with more rock on the bottom of the tub-about 4 inches deep. I have an access door that I use to add lime occasionally, but the waste usually leeches into the ground no problem.

I agree a slope is a must. Be sure to slope away from the gate.
A smooth finish is a must. My first slab I used a broom finish thinking a rougher surface would help keep the dogs nails down and provide better traction. Big mistake! The rough surface is a pain to clean, Iâ??m talking power washer vs. a hose. The other mistake I made on my first one is I did not seal the concrete.

Whats my dog kennel like???

Well lets see, about 2500 square feet, four bedrooms, three baths and a triple stall garage!!! Yeah, my dog has it good! :rolleyes:

Be sure to have 4-5 inches of drop per 10 feet of kennel length. I make the bull float be the last operation in smoothing the concrete. You don't want it trowel smooth any more than you want a broom finish. Sealing is ok, but is usually temporary and may cause more slipage that can cause injury.

Dog Kennel

2000 sq. ft., 3 br., 2 bth. 1 br is his although we call it the computer room! Got it made.

My kennel

I thought I would build a kennel for my dogs since I breed dogs. I built a 40' x60' pole shed with an 20'x16' office attached. I have an 8 run kennel built into it. 4'x6' inside run with a doggie door to an 4'x8'outside run on cement with heated floors inside and out. Then I decided to board dogs. I use 2 runs for my dogs and board dogs in the other six. Hey it paid for my shed. Makes me happy!
I let my dogs out to run around the 4 acres but I walk the boarding dogs on a leash. Well that's it.

My Kennel? My house!

My kennel. About 12' x 14' with a king size bed. Oh, that's my bedroom! :)

Ditto. I do crate my dog while I am at work. He goes to his crate voluntarily when I sit down to put on my shoes.

The pictures was taken a few years ago. Had to put the male, Rocky, down in September at age 13. Mattie, the female in the picture is now 5. I'd post a picture of the new addition I just picked up last week from a breeder in Colorado but the attach files system is not working on the site. She has a pedigree loaded with NFC's.

Back