Whats the point of the Clicker

Little Brit

Not understanding why people use clicker training. Whats the point of the clicker and how do you use it while hunting. Just seen it on a video and I don't like it.

Clickers are mainly for shaping behavior while doing obedience. They are nothing more than a marker to isolate and allow a behavior to be rewarded. There is really no difference than saying good to your dog except there is no emotion to the clicker.... It always sounds the same and is very clear and concise to the dog. I was skeptical to the value of clicker training until i tried it. I have a young dog that as soon as I grab a clicker he will start throwing behaviors at me until he figures out what I want. The clicker doesn't replace leads, pinch collars, and e collars etc. it is just another tool. Oh yea that young clicker shaped dog has a Senior hunt test title and a couple of obedience titles as well

I agree with everything Gatzby said. Clicker training works really well for training specific behaviors. Now that I have tried it, I would never train a dog without a clicker. It is one of those things that is brilliant in its simplicity.

david0311

Not understanding why people use clicker training. Whats the point of the clicker and how do you use it while hunting. Just seen it on a video and I don't like it.[/QUOT
The main value in the clickers is to sell clickers and the cr...p that goes with the program...for the people that came up with this b.s......clicker does nothing but replace your voice or body language or both...as for treats on every positive response more of their b.s.....what happens if you don't have their precious clicker with you when you want a response from the dog? Guess you could snap your fingers OH wait you could that from the start with out the clicker.......Seriously you didn't say what type of dog you are training...if retrievers could recommend many could video's...if pointing type someone on here could you in the right direction maybe dakota zeb among others..JMO:)

Clickers cost all of a buck or so. I doubt obscene profits are the objective. When you understand operant conditioning or Rex Carr based methods. The use of "cookies" becomes random like a slot machine as the dog matures and progress. The goal is to shape a "gambling" habit into your dog. PS Delmar Smith and Evan Graham do clicker shaping for early basics. It's just a tool, give it a chance. Young 7-8 week old pups get a HUGE head start this way

Steve

David0311

Clickers cost all of a buck or so. I doubt obscene
PHP:
profits are the objective. When you understand operant conditioning or Rex Carr based methods. The use of "cookies" becomes random like a slot machine as the dog matures and progress. The goal is to shape a "gambling" habit into your dog. PS Delmar Smith and Evan Graham do clicker shaping for early basics. It's just a tool, give it a chance. Young 7-8 week old pups get a HUGE head start this way

Steve
It's not the cost of the clicker..it's the rest of the program and the fact they try to sell.it as some fatastic new insite into traing....as you stated basic's go back to Rex Carr or even before..the two trainers you mentioned are super trainers ..if you want to use the clicker go for it ...

The thing about the clicker, is that it's "consistent". Haven't we heard that word before in training dogs? That clicker is going to click the same way everytime whether time you push it easy or hard.

Unless you realize what you're doing, the marker "good" is like settings on an ecollar - you are going to have several different levels.

Leerburg has a good ebook on markers & reward training.

Back