What's new with Ohio's bird hunters?

Poyntem

Let's hear from you.

Anyone have anything new, new dog, guns, trucks?

Trips planned?

How's the off season been ?

Youth hunt's scheduled?

Let's get this board going

Wow ! That's one way to get a conversation going, but I can't disagree.. Ohio is not a state loaded with wild birds, it does have quite of few good preserves which allow your dog a chance to have some fun. Just wondering when you leave where do you travel? I hunt quail in SC a couple times a year and this year we're heading to SD for pheasants. Iknow a fewguys that go up to MI for grouse andwoodcock.

The UP for grouse and woodcock, PA for their wonderful pheasants, and KS for the real thing.

I have permission to hunt a farm in Ross Co. for ringnecks. But only after deer seasons.

Oh for the days of hunt-able grouse populations.

Just got back today from Grouse hunting in Michigan. Hunted mostly the GEMS, both in lower and the U.P. Due to an injury with my older dog, it ended up being just me and the pup. She did well for her first trip, although I did not hit any birds, because she likes to chase when they flush. Had to hold my shots. We will be working on fixing that this weekend.

Bird hunting n Ohio is depressing. Each year I go to South Dakota to hunt. I wish Ohio had those type of bird numbers. Thinking about Kansas this year, but looks like the same length drive as South Dakota.

I too, will be going to the UP of Michigan for a grouse/woodcock/duck hunt, scheduled for October 17-21st. It certainly doesn't help the state of affairs when this year the DNR again lowers the total number of pheasants they are releasing statewide. I wish they would require a stamp or extra license already and invest the money back into it, just like they do waterfowl.

Heading to SD in November, and possibly Iowa in December. May try to find some time to get to MI in the next couple weeks. Been training all summer long, my brother and I each have new pups.

Heading to SD mid November. New dog and will take the old man(dog)along also to stumble along some road ditches to make sure he doesn't get lost since his eye sight is all but gone. He did fine on the pair of roosters at the youth hunt a couple weeks ago. The old nose still works great. Can't wait to see the youngster get on some wild birds out west.

For those going to Michigan. I went to as many as the GEMS areas I could. Some are better than others. If you're taking a young dog or like me have leg issues they deserve a look. The have paths cut through the best habitat. I used them to train the young dog. I wills say the bird numbers are not what they are in other areas, especially in the U.P. And there are a lot of hunters around them, but we did get 4 flushes in under a half hour at one. And overall averaged one flush per hour in them.

I too, will be going to the UP of Michigan for a grouse/woodcock/duck hunt, scheduled for October 17-21st. It certainly doesn't help the state of affairs when this year the DNR again lowers the total number of pheasants they are releasing statewide. I wish they would require a stamp or extra license already and invest the money back into it, just like they do waterfowl.

I'm with you, a stamp or something. PA is scheduled to loose their stocking program, after watching one of the videos on how they do it, i was hoping it would com west a state. Some of the guys over there are calling for a pheasant stamp also.

Heading to SD in November, and possibly Iowa in December. May try to find some time to get to MI in the next couple weeks. Been training all summer long, my brother and I each have new pups.

were heading over to SD the last week of October, stopping in WI to hunt a some pen raised birds to leave with my wife's grandparents. It's going to be our first time to SD, will see how good we are on public land.

Show us some pics of your new hunting partners :D

Sons first SD trip

Heading to SD October 30 for a week. Taking my 12 year old son and father in law for there first SD trip. Got my son a citori 20 instead of his usual 870. Taking my 5 yr old lab and my 1.5 yr old lab. It will be the pups trip to SD also. Can't wait to get out there. Also heading to Michigan for some grouse in December.

Made it to MN going to spend a couple of days here before heading over toSD.:pGoing to cross over the river and put some pen raised up for the Grandparents. :thumbsup: Grandma is best cook so I think we'll talk her in to sharing :eek:

I've hunted in Ohio all of my life. Ohio DNR pretty much gave up on supporting pheasant hunting statewide and if not for federal CRP subsidies it would be pretty much gone completely. They have also seen what was once a good huntable grouse population crash to non existence in many areas and without the pheasant's to hunt grouse definitely took on a lot more hunting pressure to where I no longer find them in many places they used to thrive. I've seen this first hand.

The decline in Pheasant populations hasn't just been happening in Ohio.
We see it happening all across the midwest including states like South Dakota.
If we don't all work together to support the traditions of upland hunting the opportunity will become pretty much a thing of the past for everyone but those who live in the most remote places or those who can afford to maintain their own private hunting estates. For many it already has.

As taxpayers year by year we are all steadily contributing to the destruction of upland and many other kinds of wildlife habitat through federal agriculture subsidies of modern agricultural practices that focus on squeezing as much cultivated agriculture and monoculture out of the environment as possible with a significant disregard for stripping the land of wildlife diversity and resource conservation. Wouldn?t it make much more sense to focus a significant amount of effort to alter those subsidy programs so that anyone who uses them must also be required to maintain specifically arranged percentages of that acreage that has long term benefits to the environment and wildlife? Modern AG practices are clearly the most significant source of the problem. It is where counter efforts should be focused. Doing otherwise is like struggling against ourselves. Nibbling around the edges with many small separately focused organizations and programs that establish tiny wildlife honey holes or a sparse number of remote wildlife preserves just won?t be effective in the long run. This is not only in the best interest of the hunting community but also includes that of any organization or citizen who is interested in being active in appreciating and taking part in a wildlife healthy world to live in.

See; Shrinking pheasant habitat in South Dakota a big worry

Well said huntsem. Without a total landscape plan, hunting, fishing and all wildlife will just keep declining. The farming practice used today is not sustainable and bad for us all in providing poor water quality and no places left for any thing left to live. Feel bad for my grand kids.:(

Yeah- I found this motel for 150 a week, they like dogs, bar right across the street, they let me cook in the room.Snow geese, specs, blues, Canada's ,cranes, all different types of ducks.The sharp tail, and Hun hunting Is excellent, and they have pheasant.I might have to find somebody on here to drive up, and hunt with me.

Back