Whats for Supper?

mnmthunting

Banned
About 11:30 am I put in a couple old long spurs in the Crock Pot. (whole skinned birds)
Celery, Onions, Carrots, Cabbage, some seasoning.
Smelling REAL good right now.
Excuse Me,:) time to dine, I'll let you know. :cheers:

Hey Wayne, wife's working tonight and I haven't figured out what's for supper. Keep it warm I'll be right over! :) Oh, and a little white wine with if would be nice.

George my Wife was gone to (working):)
Still a good portion left, come on over. I got wine.:thumbsup:

I stuffed myself like an old Grizz, fell asleep on the recliner.

I added a couple cubes of Knoor chicken Bouillon. Looking at the ingredients Knoor has about every seasoning known to mankind in it.:eek:

This is great Winter food.
After feeding the cows hay, loading up the pickup with fire wood in -30 windchill -20 temp, Hot stew ready to eat.:cheers:

Beef:eek:

Pheasants and quail don't last long around the house these days. My 2yo saw some roosters soaking in the fridge the other day and said, "Daddy birds.....Yummy in tummy me." I've never seen that girl eat beef, chicken, or pork the way she eats pheasants and quail! Her brothers and I need to get back into the field so she and her mother can enjoy their favorite dish over the holidays. It is a great winter food; it's become a comfort-food at our house. I've probably never had a better excuse to get out:D

Last edited:
KB, Good for You and Good for the Younguns. :thumbsup:
Best that You guys get out and have some luck, and best of luck!

Yesterday from My crock pot pheasant I ate the legs, wings and chewed off the back bones. :)
YUP, I'm a wildman. :D

For today, My Wife will be home early and this SHE LOVES!!
I'm going to bone the breast meat, mix it with a can of LaChoy Sweet&Sour with Asian Style Veggies. With Rice, Chow Mein Noodles, Soy Sauce added to taste and have another feast off the two old longspurs.

I really feel good about using all but the cackle from these old wild birds. :cheers:

I sure miss not having elk in the freezer. :(
I've got Muley buck and WT buck.:thumbsup:

Ken we were making good ice up here until. With only 6 inches of ice then a good 16 inches of heavy snow.
You know what that does to ice fishing.:eek: 6 inches of ice, 6 inches of slush, 6 inches of snow insulation on top. Ain't nobody on the lakes. Dang!

Ken we were making good ice up here until. With only 6 inches of ice then a good 16 inches of heavy snow.
You know what that does to ice fishing.:eek: 6 inches of ice, 6 inches of slush, 6 inches of snow insulation on top. Ain't nobody on the lakes. Dang!

Pheasant meatballs are just about ready to plate. Can't wait to eat :cheers:

I just checked the freezer. I have some bass fillets, dove, quail, a wild turkey, a shoulder roast from a wild hog and a couple deer roasts. Decisions decisions.:D:cheers:

Pheasant meatballs sounds interesting.
Do you make some gravy and mashed taters with it. Yumm!:thumbsup:

QH, To ME, sounds like you have some possibilities. :cheers:

Car went down here yesterday. But most is good to go now. He was a newb in a bad place every year. Don't drive where you have no clue about the water. Ding bat drove where no local ever would. Never safe any time. Lots of people and houses out everywhere here. Me not till pheasant is done.:thumbsup:

Today at 11 am I put in the oven at 250 some WT deer shoulder boned out stuff.

Just got home, cranked the oven up a notch or two.:) Uncovered, let er brown.

Now to put on some potatoes to boil. My own by the way.:thumbsup:

In 15 minutes or so will add to the venison a quart of my own home canned whole tomatoes, some good sweet and sour, Sweet Baby Rays Barbecue Sauce. and a pound package of my own froze veggies.

Life is good up here in the tundra. :eek:

You are all welcome, get here soon.

So, I have three Roosters thawing out. Whole skinned birds.

You guys got some ideas on how I should cook these up?

New Years Day Feast, just the Bride and Me.

Best wishes ALL for 2014. :cheers:

Debone, cut in to sunfish size chunks. Mix up flower, lowerys, Italian seasoning, touch of lemon pepper. Like your frying fish. Rinse chunk meat, drain well. Shake in bag of flour mix, and fry in 1/2" of vegetable oil for a minute on each side so they look golden like a sunfish filet. Place in glass ware oven bake pot. Drown in whole whip cream or whole cream from a qt cardboard jug. Not actual whipping cream, but liquid. Sprinkle cinnamon on heavy, and bake in oven at 250 for 1- 1.5 hrs. Yum. Melts in your mouth.

Debone, cut in to sunfish size chunks. Mix up flower, lowerys, Italian seasoning, touch of lemon pepper. Like your frying fish. Rinse chunk meat, drain well. Shake in bag of flour mix, and fry in 1/2" of vegetable oil for a minute on each side so they look golden like a sunfish filet. Place in glass ware oven bake pot. Drown in whole whip cream or whole cream from a qt cardboard jug. Not actual whipping cream, but liquid. Sprinkle cinnamon on heavy, and bake in oven at 250 for 1- 1.5 hrs. Yum. Melts in your mouth.

Now that sound Yummy. I am going to try this tomorrow . Tonight was elk back strap and boy was is great. From a Big cow elk, I helped haul out for a buddy, form a real bad spot. I would not have taken the shot my self. Getting lazy in my old age. LOL:thumbsup:

The breasts I cut in to 3 pieces. Well the one strip comes off just peeling it, then also take time to cut that scane, or tallow strip off. Then the main breast I cut side ways in half. You don't get tough birds this way. And yes it is real good. I like some green beans and mashed potatos with it.:thumbsup:

My daughter would love you, THAT right there is here favorite meal!

maybe not the cinnamon:) we'll have to try it:thumbsup:

Got everything in the house except the cream. If there's a store open I'll gets some and use your recipe, does sound good.

Yep, some mashed taters too. :cheers:

My daughter would love you, THAT right there is here favorite meal!

maybe not the cinnamon:) we'll have to try it:thumbsup:

Gotta add the cinnamon, and a good dose sprinkled on. After it bakes you will hardly tell. Adds a nice sweet taste. PS forgot to say turn one time, or flip the meat I should say, at about 40 minutes. And make sure it is covered in the oven. I like a glass pan and glass lid best.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
New Years dinner tonight
Authentic Maryland crab cakes (my wife's from Maryland and they are tremendous)
New York strips off the grill
Baked potatoes
Fresh veggies

FC- that's recipe sounds incredible!

Maryland is a long ways to go to marry a mountain man. :)

I tease my Wife from coming all the way from Wisconsin, Wisconsin is fine except it seems to breed Packer fans. :eek::confused:

I do really enjoy crab and all that related stuff. When we visit our Marina del Rea Kids we do the food we don't have or do in MN, we love it.

Now, I'm enjoying Kens recipe. My thoughts!! HOLY CRAP MAN!!! Thanks Ken :eek: Now I'm going to sit here and founder myself. :)

GOOD is NOT the word for it. SO GOOD does not give it justice.

I thought I thawed three roosters, close, this was 2 old long spurs and a old Sharptail. I breasted and took the legs of the Sharptail. The pheasants, I cut them up boned all like I would a chicken. It was faster for me.

Anyway, You have some old roosters? these ARE! melting in the mouth.

Got to go for now.

Thanks Ken for the recipe. :cheers:

Back