What Would You Do????

RoosterFetcher

Ok guys & gals...the last three times I've been out hunting I've been a little upset and need some advise. All three times near the same spot or a mile apart someone or a group are cleaning their birds right on the gravel road near a bridge or field entrance. They're cleaning the birds the same way and that's how I know it's the same person...legs are gone, heads are gone and the breast meat is gone; all that is left is a plastic sack with bloody entrails on the gravel road or field entrance...but clear enough for people to see. I've thought about contacting our local Pheasants Forever chapter so they can discuss it with the youth, but I don't want to be that "nagging woman." I just think that it's ethically wrong and is horrible for a farmer or landowner to see that after people are asking to hunt their ground. What are your thoughts?!?!

Part of a disturbing pattern of disrepecting the game and everyone else who has to step around and or clean up their mess. I say you should do whatever is necessary to put a stop to it. If we drive these pigs out of the sport so much the better. I wouldn't worry for one minute about enforcing your code of behavior on these characters, their action is offensive and repugnant to all of us. If we don't police ourselves, we will lose the sport we love.

Yea, what OAN said.

Nothing I hate worse than to pull into a parking area, where some asshat has cleaned their birds and left the wings, guts etc laying on the ground. I like to air my dogs out a bit before entering the field, and trying to keep them from either bringing my wings, guts etc, or sneaking around the truck and eating that crap makes me even more PO'd.

Can you set up a trail cam? lol.

Odds are they don't know the error of their ways. I'd start by giving them the benefit of doubt, and when next presented with the opportunity, initiate contact with them . . . coming from a position of curiosity as opposed to one of condemnation.

Engage, ask questions, observe, and educate through inquiry.

It's an egregious form of littering, akin to the drunk who throws out his beer cans and bottles because of his concern that he could get caught with an open container. He wouldn't want to break the law, you know.

Last edited:
I see it to often

In this part of the world it is deer and elk carcasses, sometimes with most of the meat still on the bones. Once in a while they leave their tag on it, no hesitation to call that one in.

In Canada recently it was waterfowl carcasses dumped right on the gravel road. We hunters are our own worst enemy at times. If you get a chance to educate them, do it!

There is apparently no end to the supply of slob hunters.

Last year, south of Marshall, Minn. both dogs spent 10 minutes bringing me gutted-out carcasses and leftovers. Into a bag, into the back of the truck. Yesterday the game pouch held more pop cans and snack packaging than roosters. I cannot go find the litterbugs but I can do what I can to make the situation better.

I'd like to say this is out-of-towners but around my camp in northern Minnesota we see a lot of trash from locals, too. We've seen them tossing the McDonald's bags...

What does it say about us when we go out seeking something wild or unspoiled and drop a Snickers wrapper?

Someday when I am a better shot I will stop throwing hulls out of that nice autoloader and go to the break-actions -- they make it easier to police my hulls.

I've had seveal people clean birds in the field and I just tell them to bring a garage sack and take them home or just stay home--no repeat offenders yet--LOL:cheers:

those of us with the knowledge and respect for the resource need to do our best to teach the others the same when possible.

I also as with others who have posted usually end up with more litter in the back of my vest than birds, and it really just becomes automatic after time to bend down and pic things up as I walk along, don't even notice doing it half the time anymore. As far as people just being outright pigs......well some of those are just a lost cause.....imagine what they treat their own homes and yards like!!!

litter and gratfitti, wherever it is, is blemish on society

If they are leaving legs and backs of the birds and only taking breast meat, they are probably violating an sex ID regulation and may very well be violating a wanton waste regulation.

Back