What would you do?

Calisdad

I bust my butt for he birds I get. The cover here is unforgiving. So I take my 9mo pup out this morning, plant him 2 birds which he finds quickly. He has an incredible nose, but I digress. Anyway I hunt him for an hour. We try to outsmart the local quail but luck was on their side. 60 birds seen, no shots taken.

So I take my 1 1/2 yo out and pretty much the same. We did get to pursue a covey but the shots I had I knew we would never retrieve. Another 60 birds, no shots.

As I'm leaving my spot 2 guys drive up and I leash my dog. We get to talking. They tell me where they are camped and have an easily remembered license plate. They are deer/quail hunting. Shotguns across their laps, no dog. :eek:

Report it!
Poachers give us all a black eye. I have no time for them and do all I can to weed them out.

I guess where you are.... I'm wondering if they are poachers or the local illicit pot growers security team! or on another post.... maybe baiting fields for Ted Nugent! Any way you slice it.... most likely up to no good.... just remember, if you remember their lisence number, they might remember yours. No harm to you, witnessed nothing illegal, what are you reporting? suspicious activity? The same might be said of any of us, scratched up, dressed like salvation army refugees, hobos with dogs.

I bust my butt for he birds I get. The cover here is unforgiving. So I take my 9mo pup out this morning, plant him 2 birds which he finds quickly. He has an incredible nose, but I digress. Anyway I hunt him for an hour. We try to outsmart the local quail but luck was on their side. 60 birds seen, no shots taken.

So I take my 1 1/2 yo out and pretty much the same. We did get to pursue a covey but the shots I had I knew we would never retrieve. Another 60 birds, no shots.

As I'm leaving my spot 2 guys drive up and I leash my dog. We get to talking. They tell me where they are camped and have an easily remembered license plate. They are deer/quail hunting. Shotguns across their laps, no dog. :eek:[/QUOTE

Why do you guys think that dogs are the end all of upland hunting. :D i know b/c they are, in your thoughts ,and mine.:D

Last edited:
wow, 120 birds put up in no time, really? :confused:
i like a good story.........:10sign:

That's no story, that is pure truth. 120 birds and no decent shots. Damn California quail are sneaky.

I feel you c-dad, you know those guys were running and gunning, and ground pounding those birds, but like was said if you didn't witness anything illegal, what can you do?

I suppose I should have said quail, Hunter. Well I alluded to it. And it was in about 4 hours. I'm fortunate in where I live but the birds aren't the dumb kind and I did say the cover was unforgiving. Ask Quailhound if you don't believe me. We saw at least 200 last week. Bagged 2.

I'm a little surprised at the few responses. If you walked into a bank with a gun in your hand would your intentions be questioned? These guys were road hunters of the lowest caliber, and I didn't need to see them shoot to figure that out.

So yes, I reported it. Problem is when you make a call they act like they don't want to be bothered. I called in a bear poaching last year and they told me they already had their quota (say WHAT?). But the wardens I meet in the field are quite the opposite. Always friendly and even tell me where they see birds. Will I call again if the situation arises? Probably. I won't have any expectations tho.

You definitely said quail, but those who have never hunted California quail have never seen a real covey before.:D

I think you did the right thing, us real quail hounds don't need guys like that calling themselves quail hunters.

You did the right thing by reporting. I just put into my cell phone the TIP (turn in poachers) # for Iowa. I came across 7 guys hunting after 4:30, so I asked them if they were rabbit hunting. They said no, that they were pheasant hunting. I told them to they better unload their guns and get going. Probably not the smartest thing to due but it worked and now I can call it in.

Back