What wears out on a Ruger Red Label?

hunthard

I'm thinking of picking up a used one and I have no idea what to check to make sure there's some life still in the gun.

Nothing has worn on mine yet & my 12-gauge joined the collection in '91 & has seen lots of action (mostly in a duck blind).

Red Label

I've had one for the past16 or so years. It looks a little worn but nothing has ever broken on it. The nickel plateing holds up well. I have one of early models. It does not have the removable chokes, and the barrels are ic and fc. The newer ones have the vari-chokes so you can change. the guns looks the same. However my barrels are a little thinner. The full really reaches out there and the lower ic is nice for out to 35 40 or so yds. I'll say this, after walking all day it can get to be heavy. It starts to add up. Good luck.

after walking all day it can get to be heavy. It starts to add up

Which is why I bought one in 20 & retired the 12 to the duck blind. Nice guns, tho.

I was shooting some sporting clays with my brother in Houston a few years ago and he had a practically brand new 20 GA Red Label that our Dad had bought new and willed to him. At the second station he inserted a shell and it dropped in past the ejector wings so that the gun would not close. He took it to the range shop and a gunsmith took the gun apart to get the unfired shell out. The gunsmith told my brother that he had seen that problem before with Red Labels. My brother finished out the round borrowing our guns and sold the Red Label the following week.

Maybe this is a rare problem, I don't know.

I'd suggest spending a few more bucks and getting a Browning Citori or Berretta. Also, see how the guns fit you and get some professional fitting advice--ideally before you buy one.

PairOfLabs

my cousin has one and I asked him what wore out on it and he told me the only thing that ever wore out was his finger from shooting it so much. he said he NEVER had any trouble with it.

Some of them have had the barrels separate from the monobloc. Maybe most of them are fine, but buy a Citori for little more money and never look back.

I'm thinking of picking up a used one and I have no idea what to check to make sure there's some life still in the gun.

i have had no problems with my 20 or 12. i like them as much as my brownings:thumbsup:

I think the only thing that will wear out is the guy that is carrying them!!!:) The 12b is really to heavy for an upland gun and the 20b' are heavier than I like a upland game gun to be. Just my opinion though.
I have a 20b that I carried for years and shot a ton of shell through it and have never had any problems with it!

Back