what to do

3goldens

I was planning to leave Ohio on 12/26 to bring my 13 year old out to the Miller, SD area on his first "out west hunt". Mind you he started asking to go 3 years ago and I promised him when he turned 13, we would do it. He has been so fired up about it all fall and now this weather. I figure by then the roads should be getting back into shape since it will be late Saturday before we get into the hard hit areas. But what my next concern will be is how hard will the trudging be since we hunt primarily sloughs and dams. I know their will be plenty of birds since even in October with the biggest share of the corn standing 3 of us and 5 dogs were able to take our 5 day limit.

What to do?

If any of you guys can advise what those sloughs do with that much snow and wind? Do they fill in pretty well? I would say the biggest share of the sloughs run North/NE/SW which according to the weather reports are saying the wind should be out of the North is that good or bad?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Brian
3 Dark Red Golden Retrievers

WOW, I wouldn't want to disappoint the boy but they are talking this will be the worst storm since the late 60s. any place that will catch snow will hinder deep on a 10ft tall Indian.

If it were me, I wouldn't be making the trip. In fact I'm not. I was going to deliver pup to the Winter South Dakota. I even had my gas paid for and my Lic. is good for the last 5 days of the season and would have been staying for free at my place out there.

NOPE! I'm not going. To each his own. If you go drive safe and be careful I wish you the best.

Merry Christmas onpoint

That's a tough one. Any low spot will be filled with snow almost level with the area around it and the fields will hold snow as tall as the stubble that is left, it makes for tough walking. I'm supposed to be out there over new years and may be rethinking it but will probably still go. My fell into a drift over her head and me over my waist trying to get a bird I dropped last year.

I was planning to leave Ohio on 12/26 to bring my 13 year old out to the Miller, SD area on his first "out west hunt".

If I was in your shoes I would stay put. If you do make it out here it will certainly be some tough hunting. If this storm goes as predicted it will pretty much put an end to pheasant hunting this season. I know your son will be disappointed but he would enjoy a hunt next year much more in nicer weather.

We already have 2-3 inches on the ground and with another 12" getting around will be near impossible. Then any day that we get any wind at all it could create ground blizzard conditions.

I'm bummed out too thinking that my hunting may be over for the year.

Tough situation -- when hunting myself or friends I brave the storms and such but with kids and coming from OH I would stay put. Find a nice preserve nearby and spend the money on a hunt with pen raised hunt. Understand it's not going to replace a great memory like SD could give ya but the dogs will like and your boy will be just as happy....just my humble opinion.

Be safe either way -

sb

Take if from a guy that has hunted 30+ days in the Hand Co. (Miller) area this year... Stay home... Last weekend they had 5+ inches on the ground and there was places where you couldn't get to unless you had a 4x4. Now, with the corn out and the high winds that are coming, the drifts are going to be huge and the places you plan on hunting are where they will be! Sorry to disappoint you, but I'd save your money. But, the next time your in the area if you need a place to stay look me up, we got the perfect setup there in town!

Steve

Better safe then sorry, you can end up far from help out there, many farmers could be south to warm places too so if you get stuck, and may not know what road your on, Knocking on a door with no one home, that is not a good situation. And with the funds you save, maybe you can take him out to a local shooting preserve to pop a few roosters.

Thanks Husker

Thanks Husker may take you up on that offer next year.

I have spoken to the farmer where we hunt and am going to keep in touch with him over the next few days and make my decision based on his recommendation. He has shelter belts ect. as well so who knows but I appreciate everyones response and will keep you updated.

Find a place and shoot some pen raised birds, this is not the time of year to muck about in crap weather with a 13 year old to worry about.

I'm staying home. Was supposed to go back to SD from Tennessee on the 28th. We hunted in 6-8 inch snow a few years back and it was tough. I'll put out some pheasants and quail next week and hunt near the house. Not the same, but I'll be back next year.

Back