What to do after hunting season over

That is the time to go shooting Clays and keep your eyes in shape. I will be going Tuesday, to start my off season shooting.......Bob

For the next couple of months of winter months its woodworking in the shop. Then its fishing, prairie dogs, doves and then it is back to pheasants.

That reminds me of the time my wifes aunt decided it would be cute to paint my dogs toe nails. I was pissed to say the least. I have a sense of humour, but that was not funny. I guess I can laugh now. Nope!!!

BB, I am sorry, but you just gave me my first Laugh of the morning. Thank you......Bob

We have our first bass club tourney in March so that will take me through the summer and into the fall, throw in some golf and a couple vacations with the family and that pretty much sums up my spring, summer and early fall.....Oh yeah, try to finish my basement if I can fit it in.....:D

Spring time fish for Crappies.
Train the dogs for HRC/UKC hunt test this coming spring
Golf.
Go to Chesapeake Bay Retreiver weekend in Wisconsin.
Continue getting in shape for a future Pheasant hunt in Kansas this coming season.

I shoot registered sporting clays tournaments-M class in NSCA, don't put the guns away all year. I also eat a lot of pheasants:thumbsup:

Pick up the frequency of my workouts (actually continue to work out on w/e's again).

Catch VERY LARGE blue catfish (need a 40+lber this season), some nice channels, a couple flatties, some crappie, a handful of bass, LOADS of bait, drink cold beer on hot afternoons, and tippy toe around the countryside hoping NOT to encounter rattlesnakes:eek:

Lots of fishing and some camping between catfishing tournaments.

Post-Predation Depression

I mope for a day or two after the season ends, then try to recognize that the off season is for staying in shape to handle the upcoming season. I hope to do more trout fishing this year too, always something to look forward to.

Coyote hunting with hounds Jan to mid March,turkey hunting May, 2 weeks camping & fishing June in northern Wi, 2 weeks camping & fishing northern Wi July, looking into going to the rocky mountains or Banff nat'l park Canada in August. Working part-time as a bird boy for a dog trainer mid April to mid December. Back to bird hunting, in Mid September to end of bird hunting season. We go to SD first week of November. As you can see I have a great boss that lets me get of any time I want.. Retirement life is tough!!!

lab man

I plan to run some NSTRA trials this spring with my 1 year old Brittany, Elle. The wife and I are heading to Arizona for a week in mid February and we have an Alaskan cruise booked for the end of May. This summer I'll probably hit the golf course a few times and also take a couple road trips on my Harley. Then it will be September and I can get the dogs out to chase a few sharpies around in preparation for pheasant season.

Get some work done :D
Home renos/honey-dos
Plan for next season (build blinds, scout, ask permission, thank for permission, network etc...)
Whatever dog work is required
Shoot clays (usually on my own before work with a step-down or string-operated thrower. I usually work in a 3-point triangle with the string-operated one when I'm alone. I do on crosser on one side, a straight-away, crosser on teh other side etc... to a until I've shot a box (6 or 7 per "station"). If a buddy is there we mix it up more - seated, walking, overhead etc...
Just got a PSE Brute compound bow and a bag target. Will be shooting a dozen arrows before work as well this year.
Mountain biking as soon as conditions allow it.
Canoeing, mostly for the purposes of backwoods trout fishing (brook trout) and camping with the wife.
Striper fishing in tidal rivers, then later from boats in lakes.
Watching the "world" go by on the beach (with DARK sunglasses on).
Socializing - usually with a couple of friends on the back deck with something on the grill.

HEY - thanks for posting this - I just realized what a damned good life I have!
:cheers:
-Croc

Back