What size shot???

I hunt all public ground in several different states and never hunt opening weekend and seldom anyplace in the first two weeks of season. I have close working flushing dogs and found 5 in lead and 3 in steel to be the best all around load. I have found that in a snowfall when they get up at our feet I have to hold my shot a little longer but that is all. And an e-collar is your best friend to keep them close.

My pup is well aware of what an E-collar is. I call it her ears. It's amazing how smart she gets when I put it on. 😅

I would put priority on the bigger bird and go with 5’s. You can’t kill a quail anymore than dead once ! But you sure can cripple and lose pheasant all day long.
On another note, I kill more than most when it comes to bobs( we don’t have many pheasant here at home)- After many years of having dogs retrieve many birds shot with 7 1/2’s that I didn’t know I killed ( my earlier years) or someone else killed. They are tuff and sometimes you don’t have indications of hitting any as they lock and glide away, or you kill the one you’re aiming at but the dogs bring you 2 or 3 birds. I cringe when I hear of people shooting them with 7 1/2 or 8’s. Out of respect, 6’s are my “to go to “ shot for quail.

Haven't taken or hunted quail but I do take the occasional hun while hunting pheasants in the dakota's....as well as sharpies. Both of the latter are pretty easy to take but a bit larger than quail. If hunting only those I'd use 7.5. I use #6 early for the combo but later in the season I use #5's knowing the latter two will be only bonuses. Not sure about quail but I'd love to hunt 'em.

Where I hunt, every point it's 50/50 if it's going to be a covey or a pheasant. 6s are the only shot size I carry. I would use 5s before I would use 7.5s. I would only use those if I had forgot my shells at home and that was all I could buy.

The reality of Math is, that when you shoot 5s at quail through Mod or more open than Mod you have quail sized holes in your pattern at usual shooting distances.

Maybe I'm older than some on here, but I have killed more pheasant and quail than I can count with 7 1/2 shot. Why...because I hunted many years before I even knew there was anything else. Are 5's and 6's better, I believe so...for pheasant but not quail. I'd would rather pick out a pellet or two more than try to clean a shredded quail due to heavy shot. Just my $.02!

Totally agree. 12 ga 7 1/2 through the IC barrel is DEADLY on pheasant, especially early season. Shooting an O/U like you, I usually have left side vest 7 1/2 and right side 5s. 7/1/2 in the IC barrel, 5s in the Mod barrel. Been doing that for years. Works very well. I like the Federal PF loads mostly.

I shoot #6 shot out of IC choke for most of the season. Mostly prairie grouse and early season pheasant. When facing late season pheasants I change to #4 or #5. I run pointers and I understand that 7 1/2 can be effective but I find that shot inside the bird. #6 shot generally goes through the bird at close range.

Maybe I'm older than some on here, but I have killed more pheasant and quail than I can count with 7 1/2 shot. Why...because I hunted many years before I even knew there was anything else. Are 5's and 6's better, I believe so...for pheasant but not quail. I'd would rather pick out a pellet or two more than try to clean a shredded quail due to heavy shot. Just my $.02!
Sounds good to me.

Back