What size shot???

Hulions

If I was going to buy one size shot for Pheasants and Quail, what would it be? Is there such a thing? I will be using a 12 gauge over/under and would prefer to shoot 2 3/4 inch shells. I don't want to be under gunned for pheasant but I also don't want to destroy a quail if the chance presents itself. I know I've asked a lot of questions lately. I'm headed to Kansas for the first time in December and appreciate all the help I can get.

I would say lead # 6 would be a good start, with a flushing dog.
Probably could get by with 7 1/2, over a pointing dog. If you go with 7 1/2 put them on the front half of the bird.

Last edited:
Definitely a flushing dog :LOL:. This will be her first time and I'm sure I'm going to struggle keeping her close.

Well you might adjust accordingly, I shoot #5 at pheasants in South Dakota, behind flushing dogs. I kill Huns just fine with number five's also.
That first year it is hard to keep those dogs in close.
You might want to have some number fives on hand, especially if you're targeting pheasants. The price of a box of shells is minuscule, when compared to the price of a hunting trip. Sounds like you're doing your homework, kudos to you.
I hope you fellows have an enjoyable trip.

Well you might adjust accordingly, I shoot #5 at pheasants in South Dakota, behind flushing dogs. I kill Huns just fine with number five's also.
That first year it is hard to keep those dogs in close.
You might want to have some number fives on hand, especially if you're targeting pheasants. The price of a box of shells is minuscule, when compared to the price of a hunting trip. Sounds like you're doing your homework, kudos to you.
I hope you fellows have an enjoyable trip.

Thank you! I am really on the fence between 5's and 6's. Do you guys think the 5's are "too much" for quail?

I agree that 1 1/8-ounce of #6 lead @ 1200-1250 FPS would be a good compromise load, particularly if you hunt with pointing dogs or close flushers, so your pheasant shots are inside of 40 yards.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers with a reload I've shot pheasants with. Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" RELOAD (RSTS, R209, GREEN DOT, CB1118-12)
1 1/8 oz #6 lead (267 pellets) @ 1225 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 171 (64%)
30 YARDS / IC / pattern 211 (79%)
40 YARDS / M / pattern 182 (68%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 195 (73%)

Good luck!

IMO, 6s are the lowest I’d go with for a quail/pheasant mixed bag. Early season 7.5s would be alright, as long as you have a good pattern and you can keep your flusher in relatively good range. Later season I’ll run 5s on wary, tough pheasants that will run at flush at a distance. Of course other adjustments of load/choke combos will work. Also if you plan on hunting public (state wildlife areas, etc) pay attention to non toxic requirements and make the appropriate load/choke adjustments.

IMO, 6s are the lowest I’d go with for a quail/pheasant mixed bag. Early season 7.5s would be alright, as long as you have a good pattern and you can keep your flusher in relatively good range. Later season I’ll run 5s on wary, tough pheasants that will run at flush at a distance. Of course other adjustments of load/choke combos will work. Also if you plan on hunting public (state wildlife areas, etc) pay attention to non toxic requirements and make the appropriate load/choke adjustments.

Since you brought up steel shot, what size steel shot would you recommend? I have a full case of 3 inch #3's and some #2's that I use for waterfowl. I was already thinking about taking some steel just in case I decide to try a WA.

#5 lead and #3 steel are pretty good pheasant loads. #6 or #5 lead on quail behind a flushing dog I don't much difference besides maybe a lower percentage.

#5 is your best load. I shoot it year around at pheasants, quail, huns, sharptail, grouse, etc. Buy a case and be done with it. I used to carry 7 1/2s for quail when I lived in Nebraska, but I found the 5's worked just fine.

Thanks! I've been looking at the Federal (Pheasants Forever) Wing Shok 1 1/4 oz. # 5 and the Winchester Super X - Super Pheasant 1 3/8 oz. # 5's

Maybe I'm older than some on here, but I have killed more pheasant and quail than I can count with 7 1/2 shot. Why...because I hunted many years before I even knew there was anything else. Are 5's and 6's better, I believe so...for pheasant but not quail. I'd would rather pick out a pellet or two more than try to clean a shredded quail due to heavy shot. Just my $.02!

I'd agree with Golden Boy other than I use one ounce loads. Will do the job nicely when sent to the right address.

Since you brought up steel shot, what size steel shot would you recommend? I have a full case of 3 inch #3's and some #2's that I use for waterfowl. I was already thinking about taking some steel just in case I decide to try a WA.
Steel is a whole different ball game. You need pattern density for quail, but you also need pellet energy for a pheasant. Steel # 4, and a thick choke.

Hulions -- When using steel loads on pheasants, it is best to go with loads that contain #2 or #3 steel pellets. Steel shot lethality research conducted on pheasants by Tom Roster showed #2 steel to be more effective (at all ranges) than either #6 or #4 steel. Yes, #4 or #6 steel loads will kill'em too, but a little extra pellet energy is a good thing on wild pheasants where shots are often taken at going-away angles and can get on the long side. The research also showed that #2 steel resulted in fewer cripples than both #6 and #4 steel; and Roster speculated that the #3 steel pellet would be a good compromise between pellet count and downrange energy.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how some #2 steel loads perform, in my gun/chokes!

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" REMINGTON SPORTSMAN HI-SPEED STEEL LOAD
1 1/8 oz #2 steel (139 pellets) @ 1375 fps
30 YARDS – SK / pattern 116 (84%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 129 (93%)
40 YARDS – IC / pattern 111 (80%)
40 YARDS – LM / pattern 114 (82%)
40 YARDS – M / pattern 114 (82%)

I would guess that a good quail/pheasant steel load compromise would be a 1 1/8-ounce load of #4 steel and keep you pheasant shots inside of 40 yards.

Good luck!

No. 6 lead is a good compromise through an IC or LM choke.

Last edited:
Sounds like both you & your dog are relatively inexperienced. Everyone's gotta start sometime. Inexperienced hunters/dogs see a higher percentage of straight-away shots. It's just the way pheasants are. Whether it's a 20-yard or 35-yard straight-away shot, it takes oomph for a pellet to get through the butt & back & into the boiler room. And trust me, not all 35-yard straight-aways are created equal. Some just require a bigger bang. Why limit yourself by your shells on an otherwise very makeable shot?? I strongly recommend minimum of lead 5's or steel 3's. Fewer pellets/ounce (less pattern density) would result in fewer hits on a quail, but it'll still go down. The quail will be fine, unless he's just too close (in which case, it'd be destroyed by 7.5's too). It's the same reason lots of guys shoot steel 2's at pheasants. Plenty of energy to penetrate & break stuff at longer range & it doesn't take as many hits to put a rooster down.

I would go with 7 1/2's. You are just going to have to pick and choose your shots with pheasants, and try to resist the urge to take those long distance shots. My dad used to tell me, if you walk a little farther you'll get another one that looks just like the one you passed up... Good luck!!!

Sounds like both you & your dog are relatively inexperienced. Everyone's gotta start sometime. Inexperienced hunters/dogs see a higher percentage of straight-away shots. It's just the way pheasants are. Whether it's a 20-yard or 35-yard straight-away shot, it takes oomph for a pellet to get through the butt & back & into the boiler room. And trust me, not all 35-yard straight-aways are created equal. Some just require a bigger bang. Why limit yourself by your shells on an otherwise very makeable shot?? I strongly recommend minimum of lead 5's or steel 3's. Fewer pellets/ounce (less pattern density) would result in fewer hits on a quail, but it'll still go down. The quail will be fine, unless he's just too close (in which case, it'd be destroyed by 7.5's too). It's the same reason lots of guys shoot steel 2's at pheasants. Plenty of energy to penetrate & break stuff at longer range & it doesn't take as many hits to put a rooster down.

Definitely inexperienced at hunting Pheasant. I hunt a lot of ducks and dove in my area but we have zero experience with Pheasant. I usually shoot #2 and #3 steel for ducks and #7.5's for dove so I have plenty of that laying around. It is has been a dream of mine since I was a kid to walk fields and shoot pheasant and quail. Just trying to make sure I have as much information as possible. Thanks for all the help guys.

Back