What is your take on the ever increasing non toxic shot requirments?

Quote LWJ2009
"Honestly I think this debate is a bit silly.

Steel does not have the knockdown power compared to lead shot. However the state requires non toxic shot to be used in the walk in areas. So I just buy the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant and it does the job."

Just so you know, Fiocchi Golden Pheasant load is not non-toxic. It is lead with a Nickel Plating.

Older fixed choke guns can not shoot steel shot without damaging the barrel. Specially older guns with thin wall barrels. My fixed choke Browning Citori Super Light's barrels are so thin that it can not have choke tubes installed. The gun would be relegated to shooting Bismuth or similar type shells. For me, it would become a wall hanger. The price of these fixed choke guns will drop to near nothing. A gun of today worth $1-$2,000 or more, would become a couple hundred dollar gun. If you could even sell it.

If the NRA and Federal cartridge is fighting it, there is merit to it

Quote Ben123

"Cost of shells is not an issue. "

Really? maybe for you. It's obvious you care little about the people who continue to be priced out of the sport, from $35.00 to $50.00 for 10 shells. That's out of my price range and if you think I'm the only person to draw the line, your mistaken. Then when the sport has zippo voice to carry to Washington with our elected. You too will be legislated out of hunting. Just ask our allies across the Atlantic. Some people give up their rights and freedoms WAY too easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkS2...695B5A894&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

How about I give you, say $500 each for each good condition, but worthless, Citori? I'll pay the shipping.

Quote LWJ2009
"Honestly I think this debate is a bit silly.

Steel does not have the knockdown power compared to lead shot. However the state requires non toxic shot to be used in the walk in areas. So I just buy the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant and it does the job."

Just so you know, Fiocchi Golden Pheasant load is not non-toxic. It is lead with a Nickel Plating.

Which according to the State is non-toxic. Hence the nickel plating.

Not to the state of Minnesota or the feds for waterfowl hunting. Now I'm going to have to go look up WY list of legal non toxic shot

Per Wyoming Fish and game under Pheasant hunting

http://gf.state.wy.us/admin/regulations/pdf/Ch18-Pheasant-signed.pdf

(c) "Nontoxic shot" means steel, bismuth-tin, tungsten-iron, tungsten bronze, tungsten-tin-bismuth, tungsten-iron-copper-nickle, tungsten-tin-iron, tungsten-metrix, tungsten-nickle-iron, tungsten-iron-nickle-tin and tungsten-polymer shot or any other federally-approved nontoxic shot

NO NICKLE PLATED LEAD LISTED

Just a heads up, Golden Pheasant load is not legal

Last edited:
LWJ2009
Good luck telling the game warden your LEAD shells are non-toxic cause they are nickel plated. Fiocchi does make a steel golden pheasant I figured thats what you were talking about but guess not. The fine you'll receive is money better spent on premium steel, or one of the high density loads from Winchester, federal, hevi shot, or remington. Good luck

How about I give you, say $500 each for each good condition, but worthless, Citori? I'll pay the shipping.

I'll keep it mind if the mandatory non toxic shot laws pass. No gun shop will even be interested in a fixed choke no steel gun. They already shy away from them.

Oh well the Golden Pheasant stays in the inventory, and since I will be going to a private place on Christmas eve it is all good. I don't worry to much about the Game Wardens wisturkeyhunter, being a fellow state employee I see them enough in my day job.

Back