What is your favorite stage in a dogs development?

sloth5202

Seems that I have dogs on the brain:) After reading about all the special relationships you guys have with your dogs and currently seeing both my dogs transition to different chapters in their hunting dog lives. I'm wondering which stage is the most fun/rewarding?

1. Puppyhood - Every interaction is new and one for lots of learning. Lots of "puppy" mistakes but lots of changes.
2. Teenage Years - Now the pup knows what they are should be doing but it's just a matter of actually doing it on a consistent basis.
3. Primetime - Everything just clicks now. You trust the dog and the dog trusts you. The dog has become a machine and there isn't anything else you would change.
4. Golden years - The dogs physical age has caught up to them and you are wondering when that last hunting season will be here. You fondly reflect back on all time you have had together. You briefly see glimpses of the "Primetime" but they are short.

I think my favorite is the teenage years because there is so much pride you feel as the come into their own. You can reflect back on those first couple of times out when things didn't go as planned (they may still happen:)) but there are things they do that are so wonderful and you never imagined they would be capable of them.

As I'm on my first actual puppy (8-weeks), I can assure you, it's not #1...but, all the others are great times.

I really like the teen years. Puppy raising is not so much fun for me but really prefer a dog that is a bit older (10 months is perfect).

I like it all, but puppyhood will always be a favorite. Ahhh, the elixir of puppy breath, puppy kisses, and then there are the episodes of laughter while watching all of the ungainly antics. Hank was particularly hilarious when he discovered he could jump-up on the hearth . . . the initial reaction remains priceless! And that became his favorite game for the rest of that evening, lol.

Whatever stage it is when that magical "click" happens in your dogs brain when he (or she) puts it all together. Sometimes it's a slow progression, and sometimes it happens all in one glorious day.

teen years, they figure things out right before your eyes......you can see them thinking things through as they hunt.......i will never forget when my WHV relocated about 4 times on a moving bird....finally he broke and ran out about 100 yards and i just let him go...he turned and hunted back to me and pinned his bird.....oh yeah, i killed the bird stone cold dead over that last point.....and he still does it today, 8 years later! somethings you just can't teach! :thumbsup:

Back