what is the status of this years wheat harvest?

beaker

anyone have any insight on this years wheat harvest?

out west here we are starting to turn I think we are still 2 maybe 3 weeks away from a test cut

Talked to a farmer I started working for on Monday. The state agency that tracks the progress of the wheat harvest stated, according to him, that harvest is estimated to start around the 20th of June. And I heard on the news that down in south central KS around Kiowa they have already started cutting. Here I found it in print.
http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=13506&format=html

Hopefully around where I'm at harvest won't start until the beginning of July, giving those chicks a couple more days to mature before the combines come cuttin

Talked to a farmer I started working for on Monday. The state agency that tracks the progress of the wheat harvest stated, according to him, that harvest is estimated to start around the 20th of June. And I heard on the news that down in south central KS around Kiowa they have already started cutting. Here I found it in print.
http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=13506&format=html

Hopefully around where I'm at harvest won't start until the beginning of July, giving those chicks a couple more days to mature before the combines come cuttin

The only thing that will delay it now, is cool wet weather. Which is a two bladed sword. If you know what I mean! Thanx for the update guys.:thumbsup:

here in GB we have a chance of rain every night except Friday which is gonna be near a 100 degrees which will only mature the wheat faster and yeah right now we need the rain to stop so everyone can get milo planted and corn furrowed. They say its maturing slowly this year but I think its gonna be average.

All I know is that I haven't been seeing to any hens or to many roosters on the way to work. They're all hiding in that wheat and tall grass. Hopefully that means those hens are on the nest and hatching.

looked like the weather got a little rough yesterday, is that going to put off the harvest another week?

4.55 inch at the ranch. Water standing in fields and running across roads in places.

Will definitely be later than usual this year.

My buddy that lives in Scott City has seen some young chicks running around already, think he said he saw those near the end of May or around Memorial Day.

Im not a farmer or crop expert but Im thinking its a lot later this year due to our harder and longer than normal winter (at least for most recent weather patterns) and kept the wheat dormant longer than in the past?

Seems to me they always have starting cutting in SC KS at least by now and in full swing by next week or so and usually mostly done by 4th of July.

No way they get there with the way the weathers been lately.

I drove to OKC this weekend from Wichita down I35, didnt see anything cut off the turnpike until I was into Oklahoma a ways.

We had 3.77 inches of rain here, 5.12 at Pratt, and I believe around 5.6 at Larned. Can't be good for the hatch!!! Bad rain with bad timing.

We had 3.77 inches of rain here, 5.12 at Pratt, and I believe around 5.6 at Larned. Can't be good for the hatch!!! Bad rain with bad timing.

UGLY!! That's not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the report. Keep your fingers crossed guys, I think we're going to need a bit of luck on our side in these areas.

My buddy from Dalhart, the mecca for pheasant and quail in Texas, called and heavy rains four to fourteen inches.

saw my first chicks of the year today also. a couple in the morning with 2 hens and a couple more in the evening with a rooster . They were pretty good sized. Just west of Great Bend we had 5.5 inches. there's water everywhere. Not much damage to the wheat but still not good for the chicks. There will be lots of replanting of corn, milo and beans tho

They're cutting wheat NE of Dodge City as we speak. Dad's driving a truck until 10pm tonight. Should start to hear a few brood reports soon.

Talked to my guy who is a custom harvester and he is south of Ness City today and he has seen more hens than roosters but no little ones yet. He told me he does not see many chicks when cutting, so do not be alarmed. The milo cutting is when too judge. He did tell me a funny story of one of the kids he hired. He said he got a phone call, why he didn't know, because the kid was 300 yards behind him and he could of used the radio. Asked if he had a bucket and he asked why, Because he had to go #2. He said were cutting 480 acres in the middle of no where, why the hell do you need a bucket? Well that is how we do it at the lake! I said, good luck with that one!!!!!

Was spraying at the ranch last Tuesday. Saw some roosters but no chicks. Had seen some chicks on the road the week before and they were half to 2/3 grow. Then while spraying I kicked out two quail hatches and they too were half to 2/3 grown. I have been gone to Denver for a family wedding but will be back at work at the ranch this week and will report on my findings. I am hoping for a good year even with the flooding in areas.

Back