What is the best pair of boots you ever owned for hunting pheasants?

A new pair of boots every 2 years to me means those boots aren't worth the time or effort. I've been wearing the same pair of boots for 6 or 7 years now.

Footwear is an often overlooked gear item. Steve Rinella once said on his podcast that if he could hunt with a $100 pair of boots and a $500 rifle or a $500 pair of boots and a $100 rifle, he'd pick the $500 boots. $500 is maybe a bit more than I'm willing to spend but I spend a little extra to get a quality boot so I'm comfortable all day and they last.

A new pair of boots every 2 years to me means those boots aren't worth the time or effort. I've been wearing the same pair of boots for 6 or 7 years now.

Footwear is an often overlooked gear item. Steve Rinella once said on his podcast that if he could hunt with a $100 pair of boots and a $500 rifle or a $500 pair of boots and a $100 rifle, he'd pick the $500 boots. $500 is maybe a bit more than I'm willing to spend but I spend a little extra to get a quality boot so I'm comfortable all day and they last.
Gotta love Rinella. He's the real deal. He and Joe Rogan are buds. He was on again just a few days ago.

Gim, we need to get you out out more!
Unfortunately I have a full time job, a house, a dog, and a family to take care of too. Man made prisons. I'll be doing hard time for quite a while.

I also use my boots for spring turkey hunting and deer hunting in the fall, although those are more "sit and wait" types of hunting.

Last edited:
Muck chore cool…high shin height…I’ve put on 12 miles+ sharpie hunting in them up and down hills…good boot for lots of bird hunting scenarios

Muck chore cool…high shin height…I’ve put on 12 miles+ sharpie hunting in them up and down hills…good boot for lots of bird hunting scenarios
I've tried to love the Mucks, but they just don't fit right for me, and it takes an act of God to get them off!

I bit the bullet last Summer and ordered a pair of Gumleaf rubber boots. The Viking Neo, I believe, was the model they had in stock, in my size. They have a thin neoprene liner inside, so they work well in colder temps. They are the first rubber boot that I enjoy walking in. Between them, and the Thorogood Flyways, I have a boot system that I am very comfortable with.

Must really like that shotgun. I would think the zippy might be a distraction on the sight plane. I am sitting here envisioning you in your socks taking this pic!

I love that shotgun. Twice since 1970 when I bought it, the forearm has dropped off the gun, each time in thick grass and weeds. Can't find a fault and it is solid all the rest of the time.
But, it's an AYA and I doubt I could find a replacement forearm in the U.S., so a zip tie, carefully positioned to align with the front bead, provides insurance.

Thanks.

I love that shotgun. Twice since 1970 when I bought it, the forearm has dropped off the gun, each time in thick grass and weeds. Can't find a fault and it is solid all the rest of the time.
But, it's an AYA and I doubt I could find a replacement forearm in the U.S., so a zip tie, carefully positioned to align with the front bead, provides insurance.

Thanks.
Kis,

Don't you have a gunsmith in close proximity that can replace the spring in the forearm metal? I can't imagine it would that difficult to fix.

Hey LC, yeah, well...twice last Century I took it in, once in Illinois and then, Wisconsin. Neither smith could find a specific issue. So I added cheap insurance.

(It serves a second purpose. With my good looks, and striking athletic poise afield, more than a few folks have been caught muttering about
"Some people have it all." The zip-tie makes me look more like regular guy than an Olympian come to earth.)

😉

Hey Kismet, happy to hear you have finally beat depression :) 💪 Oh ya, it was a boot forum. Schnees and Russells

Last edited:

1673143939017.png

Did a search (more than I expected) and came up with these. They are very close, if not the same model, as I had.

My boots were Irish Setter Red Wing Kangaroo, with eyelets all the way up the shaft and dark soles. Strong ,supple, and durable, if not waterproof.
You can't tell from my picture, but they got excellent treatment during our life together. I took the picture back then because they represented an important .aspect of pheasant hunting for me--often my only companion. I hunted alone for many years.

Still do, as I can.

I bought a pair of Irish Setter Wingshooters from an add on the forum has worn them a couple of times and like them so far. I aslo bought a pair of Merrell Moab Tactical boots, these are pretty good boots, very light, they were not as waterproof as I thought they should be and after one season in the wood and fields the toe box area is showing extreme wear, cant complain got them at a good clearance price but thought they would last longer. They were really nice in the pheasant fields!

View attachment 5086

Did a search (more than I expected) and came up with these. They are very close, if not the same model, as I had.

My boots were Irish Setter Red Wing Kangaroo, with eyelets all the way up the shaft and dark soles. Strong ,supple, and durable, if not waterproof.
You can't tell from my picture, but they got excellent treatment during our life together. I took the picture back then because they represented an important .aspect of pheasant hunting for me--often my only companion. I hunted alone for many years.

Still do, as I can.
My all time favorite boot for upland..Was our issue boot at one time years ago.
Still have two from then about worn out🙁
Customer is on this forum father gave me new pair last year he didn’t like!!!😀👍

I've been wearing these since Friday morning: https://www.zamberlanusa.com/produc...men-s-norwegian-welt-hiking-boots-waxed-brick

That included a flight to Denver and an Xfer to Wichita. I'll wear them on a 3-day Kansas pheasant hunt. They're more comfortable than dress shoes. They're the only shoes I brought. They're more comfortable that expensive workout shoes.

I use these when snow is deep: https://www.zamberlanusa.com/produc...-men-s-insulated-hunting-boots-waxed-chestnut

My advice: spend the money for all leather, comfortable boots.

I've wasted a fortune on boots trying to save money. I wasted money by not buying the best.

BTW, I've owned Irish Setter, Danner, Red Wing, and brands I cannot remember.

This was demonstrated for me far too late in my hunting career: go to an outdoor store. Lift as many pairs of boots as possibe. Then life pairs by Zamberlan and Keetrek. They're about twice as heavy for a reason.

If I knew that trick 30 years ago, I could have saved a fortune.

Zamberlan and Kenetrek are legacy boots. Your kids will hunt with them on.

Back