What Does Your Dog Do?

ranchodeluxe

Just wondering what kind of silly stuff your dog does as he/she sees you preparing your gear,loading the truck etc. I have to make sure he doesn't see me load the guns in the truck tonight,or no sleep for me.

Whether I pick-up keys, put-on a coat/hat, open a gun vault or house door, or pick-up an e-collar, Hank becomes animated . . . circling, excitable, goes to the door, etc. But then again, he goes with me almost everywhere (if I fail to take him, some business owners/employees ask me "Where's Hank? Is he alright?" Lol, it's like he comes -in & spends the money. When we head out-of-town, however, his head is on my left shoulder & nose to the window. Also, if I pick-up a collar (hunting collar or bark collar), he comes without asking, sits, and extends his neck. When he was in his first year, I put an e-collar on him (usually NOT turned-on) every time we went anywhere so he has always associated "the collar" with a good thing.

When I sit to put on my shoes she knows I'm going outside (she would happily hunt anything in the yard all day long) she hassels me to get in my lap, and when I straighten up to shift to the other shoe she will occasionally just jump into my lap! I guess she just wants to go out so badly!

I took our popup camper to get the bearings greased two weeks ago, and when Sadie saw it hooked up she hasn't let me out of sight since! The last two years the wife and I have taken her to NE and Kansas for a couple of weeks of hunting. She knows(!) but plans have changed and she's going to get disappointed this year. I have a date with a surgeon, bummer!:(

Sadie has also associated the "collar" with pleasant, make that "PHEASANT" things as well! LOL! She presents herself to get the collar put on! Man, I love my dog!

Last edited:
Whether I pick-up keys, put-on a coat/hat, open a gun vault or house door, or pick-up an e-collar, Hank becomes animated . . . circling, excitable, goes to the door, etc. But then again, he goes with me almost everywhere (if I fail to take him, some business owners/employees ask me "Where's Hank? Is he alright?" Lol, it's like he comes -in & spends the money. When we head out-of-town, however, his head is on my left shoulder & nose to the window. Also, if I pick-up a collar (hunting collar or bark collar), he comes without asking, sits, and extends his neck. When he was in his first year, I put an e-collar on him (usually NOT turned-on) every time we went anywhere so he has always associated "the collar" with a good thing.

Thanks for the "Hank" update! Enjoyed his entry from "One dog or two" of riding in the cab!:)

When I sit to put on my shoes she knows I'm going outside (she would happily hunt anything in the yard all day long) she hassels me to get in my lap, and when I straighten up to shift to the other shoe she will occasionally just jump into my lap! I guess she just wants to go out so badly!

I took our popup camper to get the bearings greased two weeks ago, and when Sadie saw it hooked up she hasn't let me out of sight since! The last two years the wife and I have taken her to NE and Kansas for a couple of weeks of hunting. She knows(!) but plans have changed and she's going to get disappointed this year. I have a date with a surgeon, bummer!:(

Sadie has also associated the "collar" with pleasant, make that "PHEASANT" things as well! LOL! She presents herself to get the collar put on! Man, I love my dog!

Sorry to hear of the change in plans, and to hear of your surgery. Wish you and Sadie all the best! And to hear of your adventures afield again, soon!:

Just wondering what kind of silly stuff your dog does as he/she sees you preparing your gear,loading the truck etc. I have to make sure he doesn't see me load the guns in the truck tonight,or no sleep for me.

Wish you all the best today... and that you got some sleep.

A few years back I packed my bag 3 days before our trip up to SD. then I left town for business. Wife said the dog slept on the hunting bag the entire time as to make sure nobody left without him. :thumbsup:

Back