What do you carry in your vest and what does it weigh?

airmedic1

I’m currently using a WingWorks and am carrying the following:
Astro 430
Garmin Pro 70
Garmin InReach Explorer
Small first aid kit
CAT tourniquet and blood stopper gauze in a vacuum pack
Felco F7 cable cutters
Minnesota Trappers Association Connibear release kit
15 16 ga shells
Small roll of TP

It weighs 9 3/4 pounds. I didn’t think it was that heavy.

No sandwiches? Kismet, that was funny...beats carrying the fat ones! Although in cold weather, those birds do keep you warm, often too warm.

To start: I have two pockets of shells, maybe 20, a 5-6' piece of cord/rope (from this conversation a year ago), a bell with a snap swivel, a face mask and usually my cell phone.

I have taken a bottle of water and a plastic bowl for the dog when it is 50* or so and knowing there is not going to be water available for him.

At the end: A few less shells, maybe hat or gloves (if it has warmed-up) and usually 3 roosters.

I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to the vest items. Shells, a multi-tool, and a zip tie. Whistle and tri-tronics remote on my neck.

Most of my walks aren't the vast open grasslands of the prairie and they take less than an hour. I can almost always see my truck when I'm hunting. I don't hunt when its super warm out in October anymore either.

Last edited:
Badlands vest
Cable cutters
Leash
Bird knife
Garmin Astro
Water bottle
10 12 gauge shells
Pouch of Red Man
Sport Dog slung around my neck

I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to the vest items. Shells, a multi-tool, and a zip tie. Whistle and tri-tronics remote on my neck.

Most of my walks aren't the vast open grasslands of the prairie and they take less than an hour. I can almost always see my truck when I'm hunting. I don't hunt when its super warm out in October anymore either.
I agree, October is a young bird month.

Gauze, med tape, lighter, aspirin, ace bandage, hydrocodone, fire starter, space blanket, compas. All in a Ziplock wrapped with some duct tape. Crawled out of the National Forest with a torn ACL once. Might not be able to do that now. Water if I know it's a dry hunt. Leash. Multi tool on my belt. Sometimes a beeper collar in case my Tracking collar quits. Thinking about adding some cable cutters.

Gauze, med tape, lighter, aspirin, ace bandage, hydrocodone, fire starter, space blanket, compas. All in a Ziplock wrapped with some duct tape. Crawled out of the National Forest with a torn ACL once. Might not be able to do that now. Water if I know it's a dry hunt. Leash. Multi tool on my belt. Sometimes a beeper collar in case my Tracking collar quits. Thinking about adding some cable cutters.
You need to add dowel bit to help remove quills....sorry last once of salt in that wound...🤣🤪

My vest has first aid for humans and dogs, both fairly minimal. Dog has emt gel, para cord and zip ties, will add dowel bit. Human i have baby asprin, benadryl capsule, and honey packages. Carry shells, sport dog transmitter, water bottles for dogs and humans and dude wipes. My truck has trauma first aid kits for both human and dogs. Cellphone, multi-tool and knife are carried on belt or in pants.

Back