what company makes the best lead shot?

Remtech

I have always used the black Remington shells and when i have extra cash i buy the golden pheasant shell made by fiocch what does everyone else use and prefer?

Remtech

Oh my...that's a "loaded" question; no pun intended. Let's keep it civil gentlemen.

I have an old ammo can full of 'leftovers' that I usually load the vest up with so I really don't have a favorite. However, I have had great luck with the Fiocchi when I splurge and spend the money.

I have always liked Fiochi's plated shot, but like many I will shoot whatever is in my bag. I reload some of my hunting loads, 1&1/8oz with either #4 or #6 shot. I also prowl for sales on pheasant loads, sometimes with success. If I had to pick only one type of shell for hunting it would be the Fiochi.

I've cut open a lot of shells and done a lot of patterning. In my opinion fiocchi's nickel plated shot is the best shot when compared to other commonly available loads. Every gun/choke is different though so if you really want the best you've got to put it on paper.

With that said as I've started shooting more clays in the off season and now have a lot of wild and state released spots dialed in I'm starting to find it really doesn't matter for most of the season.

Late in the season I'm loaded for bear here in Wisconsin though.

i like the red box of federals i believe they have the pheasant forever logo on the top. Thats what i would be buying if i was in the need for a lead pheasant load.

I am just brought a box of federal shells here are stats 12 gauge 2-3/4 1-1/4 oz 5 shot. They are copper platted with velocity of 1500. It is also back by pheasants forever. I attached a photo of the box. The reason I brought these is that I wanted 5 shot and gander mountain by me had a every poor selection. All I have in my bag is 4 shot which I use late in the season.

I am just brought a box of federal shells here are stats 12 gauge 2-3/4 1-1/4 oz 5 shot. They are copper platted with velocity of 1500. It is also back by pheasants forever. I attached a photo of the box. The reason I brought these is that I wanted 5 shot and gander mountain by me had a every poor selection. All I have in my bag is 4 shot which I use late in the season.

Those Federal PF loads are tough to beat but I've also had excellent luck with the Fiocchi golden Pheasants.

Fiocchi has the best shot hands down. Their nickel plated shot is TRULY nickel plated.

Most if not all of your so-called factory Plated shot shells are not plated, but rather washed such as copper wash. it is no harder than the lead used to make the shell. The only company that I'm aware of that does truly plate their shot and manufacturers and sells ammo in the US is Fiocchi, a process called electrolysis plated.

Tom Roster writes about plated shot in his article about "understanding lead shot quality".

http://www.shotgunlife.com/shotguns/tom-roster/understanding-lead-shot-quality-part-2.html

Last edited:
lead shot

the question posed was has been danced around and so far nobody has tried to answer it. the best lead shot is depending on what you are going to shoot with the stuff, if it be woodcock, ya might want a soft lead shot, same for quail, but then again if you are after pheasants at a longer range you probably should go for a harder shot, lead shot normally comes in several degrees of hardness, hardness translates into roundness as it exits the wad cup. because of the way lead shot is mfg. you have no really good way of knowing the tin content being used, just a rough estimate given in the fine print by the people doing the reloading or making the shot. true, copper plated shot is more of a wash than anything and does little to add to harden the shot if that is what you are looking for. nickel is I believe a true plating and therefore should make the shot more round and considerably harder, there have been some articles stating that to cut the cost of the nickel, the mfg. have cut the amount of tin used in the lead and therefore just maybe you are back to almost if square one. if I were to vote for the best at least pheasant load out there I would vote for the golden pheasants, they have decent speed, nickel pellets, and a world class wad to contain the shot. one thing you can count on is that in the at least 28 ga. shell, none of their loads actually are 7/8 oz and every one of the 50 I took apart were from 20-35 pellets short of that amount. I roll my own, just interested in them, they also at least for the 28 ga. are about 25% cheaper then the other worse brands

cheers

musti, I agree with your post and that the type of shot may vary with the game you are after. However, since this is a pheasant hunting site I assumed, and I'm sure most others assumed, the OP was referring to pheasant hunting.

Federal Premium PF and Fiocchi Golden Pheasant are a couple of the top loads. Do you need to buy them to be successful. NO! As I've stated on this site before, and decent load meant for pheasants is all you need. I've shot a bunch of pheasants with the Federal's in the blue box. There are two other factors that are much more important than which shell you chamber. First, is how well does it pattern in your gun as every gun is different. And secondly, and most important, is the shooting ability of the shooter. A good shooter will harvest many more birds shooting trap loads than a poorer shot will with expensive, premium loads.

The one factor you can count on regarding lead hardness is this, any of the promotional (cheap) shotshell ammo available, whether for target or hunting, will have softer shot. The clays won't care much, but soft lead pellets are not ideal for birds.

As for what I've seen as the "hardest" shot, I would rate the nickel Fiocchi and Federal plated as being the best, and possibly the Kent diamond shot as well. As for the worst of the plated stuff, the Winchester plated gets the nod with Rem plated slightly better.

With the exception of the Fiocchi nickel and B&P Nickel, the copper stuff from Rem. , Fed, Winchester is not true plated shot but rather copper wash. Essentially it's painted on and is no harder than the lead underneath.

Back