What are your plans this year?

Jonjhawk

Well since we are less than a month out I figured I get this post rolling as it always makes me excited and gives me something to look at during the week. My dad, brother and I will be heading west and staying around hays. We’re overall pretty new to hunting as this will be our 4th year out. I kinda felt like my dog did after year 3 where we were finally getting it figured out by being the right cover during the right time of day. Now if only we could hit one 🤣! Hoping for a few good points and some downed birds, but I know we’ll have a great trip even if we get skunked. What are yours plans for opening weekend/ the season?

Between covid, the bird numbers, the CRP loss, and the continued downward spiral of WIHA, I think I’ll skip Kansas opener, and might spend the weekend in Iowa instead. I’m sure I’ll sneak out to Kansas a few times during the season, but I’m starting to get the feeling there’s not enough hunting days left in my life to waste them.

Start with the NE opener; then the KS opener.

I'll be in SC for the opener. May come back up again later in the year if it works out.

will stop for a day or two passing through, mainly to visit a sick friend, on ground i have hunted for past 25 years.
don't expect much, may hit Iowa later this season.

Hit up the normal opening day spot opening morning. After that I’ll do one trip out west, some quail hunting around home. But most of all I’ll be duck hunting and training my retrievers for the spring hunt tests.

My 3 buddies and myself will hit some family ground in SW Kansas for the Opener. Haven't gotten many good reports from out there so may end up moving further North depending on what we see. The 4 of us have been hunting together for 20 years, always a good time regardless of birds killed. We hunt most every weekend (at least a half day trip) around home with 2-3 overnight trips mixed in. We've burned a lot of boot leather/gas over the years chasing birds and this year will be no different. This weather is getting me crazy excited!!! Stay safe this year. Bryan

we just don't have the birds around home this year(again) . This means i'll be doing all out of state this year. We had a great start in ND. I'll be going to SD a couple of times but most of my hunting will be in Ks this season.

I'll be taking the squad of Lab's to our annual hunt by La Crosse with the same group since 1990 so this one is special since some of use have never missed a year. That said I am optimistic we will run into some birds and some deer as I am heading out the weekend before to bow hunt. Then heading back west to do a hunt for work with Kevin Murphy my squirrel hunting buddy from KY.

So it begins! Good luck to all and be safe!

Attachments

• dog squad.jpg
    dog squad.jpg
    934.2 KB · Views: 8
I'll hunt as much as I can... There are a couple of field trials during the season, but for the most part I'll try and get out and hunt.

SD this weekend, NE the weekend of 11/7-8, then our normal opener trip in KS. After that it will be mostly day trips.

You guys don’t forget to post pictures. I never get tired of reading reports either. No locations just storieu

Will be making the same trek to Western KS that I've made for the last 25 years for opening weekend with my dad. Have a few buddies tagging along again for the third year in a row, got them hooked a few years back. Not too worried about the amount of birds, the time in the field with my dad, friends, and two year old GSP make the trip worth it; birds are a bonus.

Looking forward to opener in Missouri for quail, have spent last week doing whistle counts of coveys coming off roost and might be slightly better than last year. Looking forward to getting to hunt with my oldest grandson this year which means so much as my dog and myself are piling on the years. Best wishes to all and stay safe!

Back