What are you using for nontox this year?

I used Kent last year and we had a significant amount of duds. This was in multiple guns as well. I was using a Mossberg Silver Reserve, and my father in law was using his Browning Auto. Previous to purchasing Kent I was a Federal guy through and through until the day I was at bass pro and a case of Kent Fast Steel was super cheap. This year I am going back to Federal, Wing Shock Upland Steel.

Last edited:
I've got a few boxes of WW Expert 7 steel to use up- works quite well on pheasants inside 30 yards- not to bad on ducks and quail also

I do have to say though, when the Kents were firing the did a wonderful job, great knockdown power. We were using 3 inch #4's.

I have a couple boxes of WW Drylock 3" 4 steel- they do just fine- my 20 patern them quite good to 40 yards- bit to much for pheasants for me

I've had the best luck with remington nitro steels--seem to consistently pattern well if you open the chokes up like you should. A bit spendier than the Kent's and cheaper winchester's unfortunately but they work.

In my first barrel I use a Remington Sportsman steel 2 3/4 #2 and the second barrel is a WW 3" #2. I have used the Remington's the last 5 years and have not had a cripple.

Remington Hyper Sonic steel or WW Xpert HV 3 inch #2's

I'm using Hevi-Metal #2 for pheasant and love it. I like to use the same ammo since I hunt ducks and pheasant on the same day so that is why I am using such large shot.

#6 early and #4 late

I use a standard 1 1/8oz load of #6 early season and #4 after mid-Nov. Mostly Federal but have used Winchester in the past. I don't switch lead and steel, I only shot steel. Makes life simpler and steel kills, if you hit them.

Federal black cloud 3" 1 1/8oz 4 shot early in season and 2 shot later in season.... I love black cloud with flight stopper pellets especially using a black cloud choke tube....I and a couple other guys I hunt with have had great success these past two seasons after switching over to just steel and leaving lead in the gun cabinet.

Back