What are you doing to get ready?

Watching a lot of college football.:10sign:

Seriously though...

I made a big push on the summer exercise this year. The dogs look great and are fast in the field. I have tapered off my biking, but still trying to get at least a couple workouts in each week. I'm trying to maintain the dogs at the condition they are in and maybe cut a few more pounds off me.

Got the dogs going into the vet next week for checkups and vaccinations.

Staying on the friends and family to make sure our long-standing hunting trips are 100% confirmed. And trying to squeeze a couple more quick trips into the calendar.

Trap league once a month to keep my shooting eye on target. And will usually grab a couple buds for a road trip to a sporting clays course once or twice this time of year.

Staying on top of the honey-dos so I can play guilt-free in November and December.

That's pretty much it. Normally I would make a big gear purchase or two, but I kept it pretty small this year. I bought an upland bird belt that I like fairly well so far. I might get a pair of boots before the end of the season, but maybe not... Don't really NEED anything at this point...:eek:

Been working the lab. Looking for stuff to order for this season. Planning hunts and jotting down ideas.

Absolurely nothing when you have dogs as good as these britts you don't have to work them everyy fall and you yourself can get as big as a house since they do all the work for you :D

I walk year around & pup runs all year, so that's covered. Work Hank on planted birds when opportunity to do so arises & have worked steadily on fine-tuning handling (whoa, backing, retrieving, tracking/trailing). I also go out & miss clay birds every so often so I can ultimately keep the excess weight in my game bag down during the season . . .

Trying to lose a few pounds myself and take one pound off the dog so he starts the season at 45 pounds. Made four weekends of motel reservations. Downloaded the NE public walk-in maps in prep for the opener. Trying to plug water leaks in my boots with rubber cement. Bought two new pair of Filson socks. Beefed up the old Blazer with a much better set of tires and new shocks. Got a few boxes of shells. Been telling the dog to "whoa" on our walks to remind him.

Last edited:
I exercise pretty consistently year round. It mostly consists of jogging with my dog. It's not nearly enough for her as she still manages to get fat over the summer, but it's better than nothing. As for me, I'm certainly no marathoner, but I can out-walk most of my hunting buddies.

Will do a planted bird hunt or two just to knock the rust off the dog. Otherwise, bring on November!

Painting house and climbing up and down ladders and scafolding! The dog has well wormn paths around the house and yard where she runs evertine she's outside. The paths are banked so she takes the turns at high speed! I thought the neighbor had cows when I first discovered the paths! LOL!

Getting Ready

Cyber Scouting from South Georgia more often the closer it gets to November.

Watching the gas prices and trying to figure out if I can go a week without spending money on food.

Have started running the dogs every morning. They are in good shape, its me I worry about. :) But most of all I'm training a 1.5 year old GSP. Very excited about him. He learns fast and just wants to please. He never seems to run out of energy!

I have been taking them out Prairie Chicken hunting, well at least we are getting a lot of ground covered, even if there aren't any PC :(

Me I have been learning to use the remote with either hand :cheers:

Me I have been learning to use the remote with either hand :cheers:

Now that is a valuable skill.

I'm keeping the dogs out longer each night and just playing with them a lot since the weather got nice.

I also pretend shoot nearly every bird that flies by while I'm riding passenger in the car....oh, and I've been watching hours and hours of bird hunting videos on youtube.

In addition to two handed remote control drills and imaginary shooting of birds from the car like setternut and kb :) , I've been trying to do some longer walks.

Saturday was 9 miles with weights to simulate a shotgun and shells in the pouch, etc. Now my hip is killing me....but better now than on opening weekend, ha.

My summer and fall

Men, this is a picture of what I have been doing this summer and fall to get ready to hunt. I'm the one with the whistle in my mouth. My hunting buddies thought I may miss a few hunts this fall but my wild ride ended last week. I can hunt all I want and I have a lot of stories to tell.

Crusaderhunter/Mike

Aaargh!

After two eye operations last year and missing easy shots on roosters , I've joined the newly formed Vineland Redneck Gun Club as the token Liberal. I am smokin' a lot of clays. I quit smoking tobacco in February only to gain a quick 20 pounds. Subsequent desperate workouts produced a torn rotator cuff and a messed up knee. I'm still trying to walk the lab but my slow pace confused him. It's a bitch getting old!

Back