Wetting a dogs head

gcoach

I have heard from various people that in dry conditions you should wet the head of your pointing dog to help it detect scent better. Have any of you heard this also? Have you done it? Does it work?

Yeah I usually use a five gallon bucket. No I have never heard of this myself but as long as you keep your dog hydrated and thier nose is wet to include thier sinuses that is about as good as you can get. Just pray for wetter weather.

I havnt heard of that one to tell you the truth i about fell out of my chair laughing not to be a jerk!I dnt know it all by all means but i like damp even wetter conditions my self each day is so different my pointer has awesome days and average days its weird people on here know more than me though.What kind of dogs do you have?

Well I'm the odd ball I guess, YES I Do. But not for the reasons listed. I do it help keep him cool. I carry water for him in the field, it is a squirt bottle. When I shoot the water in his mouth to drink. I shoot some on his head and rub it in to help cool down. To be honest I don't know if it helps or not. But he likes me to do it.......Bob

We'll I haven't heard of any advantage to scenting ability, i think that has more to do with the moisture in the grass. Like Bob has stated, I have heard that completely wetting down a dog prior to exercise can have a cooling affect as the water evaporates. Won't work in humid conditions, but drier conditions it will.

My grampa always brought some vasoline along and applied it to the dog's noses a couple of times per day. I don't do this, but I do water them frequently and take them by a pond at least once in the mid-day.

Here in Washington when I am wetting Tony's head. The humidity here is less that 50%. This is high desert and it is extremely dry......Bob

This sounds weird as well; but I also wet my dogs head down while working in dry CRP or fields. It seems to cool him but the weird thing is that when I squirt water on his head and it runs down his nose, it makes him sneeze. Not that it means anything but it may help keep his nose somewhat open. Just my 2 cents...

Keep the dog properly hydrated inside and everything will work the way it should work (nose included).

Ooooooh yeah, :) me and the dog are getting antsie. I will be getting my boy to the bird ranch starting next week, to get him in shape for the upcoming season. I can't wait!

Good Hunting,

Paul

Back