West of the river

jeffstally

How have people been doing west of the river this year? We are heading back for our second trip and want to go somewhere else. Went to Miller area last time. I was thinking Presho or north of there. How has the drought effected the area?

I hunted private land in the Firesteel / Timberlake area this year for 4 days. Plenty of birds. Shame I couldn't hit them!

Last edited:
Assume Miller wasn't satisfactory...how did you fare?

Actually we did quite well. I think we were 5 birds short of a 4 man, 4 day limit. I just want to go to a new area, I got a little burned out of that area since we hunted it last year. I like to keep on the move and see new things.

I'm not looking for hotspotting. I just would like to know general conditions west of the river.

I have been twice west river. The conditions are basically the same as the miller area. They have had 2-3 snows this fall that have helped. We hunted in about 3 inches in october. There are a lot of birds in areas. Down by I-90, west of 83, we saw a ton of birds in october. I imagine it would be similar in Presho area. Cover was good in spots, milo and corn were short. One thing though, farmer told me wheat crop was best he had ever had. The stubble was thick as I have ever walked. Heading back on tuesday.

Back