Webster area reports

mnjimmer

It looks like the guys I'm hunting with next week want to try the Webster area. I've never hunted that area before and was wondering how the hunting has been this year. I know it's not South Dakotas' prime area but was wondering what we might expect. We will have a small group of 3 or 4 and plan on hunting publics & knocking on a few doors.

fair bird numbers around here. Public gets hammered hard so I wouldn't expect too much but you never know. Tough to get on private like most areas but never know there either. Crops came out early this year so it seems like many of the farmers had time to chisel plow which pretty much erases all food in the field for birds. Look for areas with sloughs that have harvested fields next to the sloughs. Birds will be in these areas but stay away from the chisel plowed...will be tougher That's what my best luck has been so far.

fair bird numbers around here. Public gets hammered hard so I wouldn't expect too much but you never know. Tough to get on private like most areas but never know there either. Crops came out early this year so it seems like many of the farmers had time to chisel plow which pretty much erases all food in the field for birds. Look for areas with sloughs that have harvested fields next to the sloughs. Birds will be in these areas but stay away from the chisel plowed...will be tougher That's what my best luck has been so far.

wow, no one chisel plows in Kansas any longer, wonder why the practice is still in effect in SD?

Thanks for the report bigv. I'm looking forward to giving the area a try. Nearly everything is plowed black here in MN this year too.

Thanks for the report bigv. I'm looking forward to giving the area a try. Nearly everything is plowed black here in MN this year too.

Most of Iowa as well this year, harvest was early and efficient with the dry spell we had in September. I'm told they do it to help the soil warm quicker in the spring so they can plant earlier.

my father in law did it this year and said it is the best way to get nitrogen into soil with a drill.
We are also getting snow right as I type...suppose to get 4-6 inches. I like that...seems to keep them tighter.

Back