warm weather and snakes ?

Any of you guys got any recipes for them? Figured we'll go shoot some prairie dogs while we are out West and might see one hanging around there. Thinking it might not be too bad tasting???

Around there prairie dogs and rattlers go together.

Any of you guys got any recipes for them? Figured we'll go shoot some prairie dogs while we are out West and might see one hanging around there. Thinking it might not be too bad tasting???

I cant decide whether I like frog legs or rattlesnake more. Smoking it is the only way to go so the meat falls of the bone. Really, really bony! But great tasting!

Ok so at work today we were loading some old broke rusty parts off the ground and I happened to look down right beside the backhoe bucket were I had been walking and running my hands through the grass and what do you think I see? Yes it was a nice pissed off copperhead about three feet long. Tell me again about car wrecks lighting strikes and Bigfoot sightings. Yes when I saw it, it was attached to my left hand. More scared of me my ass. Now I get to take antibiotics for ever. Watch the grass guys I know he would have liked to have slithered off with out a bite but such is life. He's dead.

Ok so at work today we were loading some old broke rusty parts off the ground and I happened to look down right beside the backhoe bucket were I had been walking and running my hands through the grass and what do you think I see? Yes it was a nice pissed off copperhead about three feet long. Tell me again about car wrecks lighting strikes and Bigfoot sightings. Yes when I saw it, it was attached to my left hand. More scared of me my ass. Now I get to take antibiotics for ever. Watch the grass guys I know he would have liked to have slithered off with out a bite but such is life. He's dead.

I've never seen a copperhead up close - how's their venom work vs a rattler? IE Rattlesnakes - lots of swelling -- ??

Snakes

Check with your vet and don't rely entirely on internet information, you vet went to school to learn his/her trade and should be your best resource. I know there is a shot available that will help lessen the severity of a snake bite if your dog happens to get bitten. I get my dog that vaccination every year.
Quick story here: I had the opportunity to hunt antelope in SE Colorado this year. We arrived at the ranchers land early Friday morning and set up our camp then started to explore. We shot roughly 20 big bull frogs in his cattle ponds with a 17HMR, 10 doves and one rattlesnake with a shot gun. Dinner that night was a sportsman's feast. Everything we shot was seasoned with our favorite seasonings, saute'd in butter and followed by a cold adult beverage. Talk about a little piece of heaven here on earth.
KansasGSP - it's actually pretty easy to clean a rattler. Cut the head off, use a razor knife and gently cut through the skin along the bottom length of the snake, peel the skin and rattle off in one fell swoop, pull the guts out, rinse the snake off in cold water, cut in pieces about 4 inches long, season and saute in butter. Better than any chicken nuggets you'll ever find. Happy Hunting Boys! Be safe!

I've never seen a copperhead up close - how's their venom work vs a rattler? IE Rattlesnakes - lots of swelling -- ??

Copperhead bite isnt near as bad as a rattlesnake bite. Some swelling, but it doesnt cause the muscle damage and I think it is a slower process. As in, you have more time to get to the Dr.

KansasGSP - it's actually pretty easy to clean a rattler. Cut the head off, use a razor knife and gently cut through the skin along the bottom length of the snake, peel the skin and rattle off in one fell swoop, pull the guts out, rinse the snake off in cold water, cut in pieces about 4 inches long, season and saute in butter. Better than any chicken nuggets you'll ever find. Happy Hunting Boys! Be safe![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Hope I don't get to try one, but if I do this is the way I'll fix it. Overnight lows in the 40's last night, actually felt a little like fall! 7 days from now and we'll be on our way!

Looks to be warm and in the 70's for the opener. Snakes will most likely be out during the warmest part of the day and may seek the roads for warmth towards evening. They may not be to far from there den sites by now, so if you find one, there may be more.:eek: Think I will wait for cooler temps.:D

Swelling to answer question asked me. Antibiotics for ten days plus got a steroid shot yesterday

I would suggest that if your going out of state, get the number and address of the nearest vet in your area keep it with your hunting license , so your not running around trying to track a vet down, time is of the essence in many cases.

A record high day in Dodge City. 87 for a high breaking the previous record of 79 in 1963.

I was out and about all day today and fortunately saw no rattlers.

20161116RecordHeat_zps89a75rf0.jpg

Snakes were out. Found one in the NW area Tuesday. I was a little surprised but looking back there had to be a den there. It was late in the afternoon and very warm. Sorry no pic I was all about getting out of there and getting my setter pup out of that area. The Rattler sure was aggressive and coiled up and tried to strike. After tomorrow they should be gone. First one I have seen this late in the year in many years. Oh the snake didn't make it to tell the story!

Back