Wanted: Small Family Dog 1st, Bird Dog 2nd

ksimons

I live in Fargo and have a Jack Russell. My wife doesn't want a Lab or any other 'big dog' (I know!), but we would be interested in a small Bird Dog. In reality, this dog would be a family dog first, as I would only be hunting about 10-15 days a year.

Let me know if you have something in that category for a reasonable price.

You want a pointing dog or a flusher?

On the pointing dog side you can get small setters, brits and GSP.

Flushing dogs, cockers come to mind being pretty small.

I have a litter of 2 week old English Setter pups listed on the puppy thread that are out of smaller grouse lines in case you might be interested in Setters. Steve can back me up that they make great house pets as well. My females whelp in the house and are generally in 2 weeks before and about 4 weeks with the pups before I move them outside.

I live in Fargo and have a Jack Russell. My wife doesn't want a Lab or any other 'big dog' (I know!), but we would be interested in a small Bird Dog. In reality, this dog would be a family dog first, as I would only be hunting about 10-15 days a year.

Let me know if you have something in that category for a reasonable price.

You need to give us some more details as to what you are looking for. When you say a small bird dog, what size is acceptable? Pointer or Flusher?

I have two female Brittanys that are also house dogs. They are both just under 40 lbs. I personally feel that a spayed female makes the best house dog/bird dog combo. So sex is also something to consider.

Vizslas are a smaller breed of the pointing variety. They tend to do well in the house as well. At least mine does. Great family dog!

You need to give us some more details as to what you are looking for. When you say a small bird dog, what size is acceptable? Pointer or Flusher?

I have two female Brittanys that are also house dogs. They are both just under 40 lbs. I personally feel that a spayed female makes the best house dog/bird dog combo. So sex is also something to consider.

A strong second here for Dakotazeb's comments about spayed females being the best in house and field. :thumbsup:i

ksimons, you also need to tell us what you plan to hunt. That would also help with the selection.

I know you mentioned "for a reasonable price". Please don't let the price of a pup/dog dictate which dog you choose. More importantly is getting a good dog. That dog will be with you 12-14 years so saving a few hundred dollars up front could be a mistake. Even if you don't plan to hunt the dog a lot you still want a good dog from a reputable breeder that has put thought and time into the breeding. You want a dog that has been bred for good temperament and conformation (meets breed standards with good hips, eyes, etc.). And if you do plan to hunt with the dog, one that whose breeding is out of field bred dogs. Don't be looking in the local newspaper and buying from some "backyard breeder". Selecting the correct dog takes some research and time & effort on your part.

Back