Want a browning cynergy 20 ga or 12 ga !

I bought a 20 gauge field for pheasant hunting this year and have had a 12 gauge waterfowl edition for a few years. I don't have any complaints and I shoot them really well.

I have the Cynergy in 20ga. and switch off with a Benelli UL in 12. It is a nice field gun and handles well. It has a fairly high rib, so that needs to be factored into your decision. My BUL also has a raised rib and that’s why I bought both guns. If you desire a lower profile, a Citori would also be a good choice. When it’s not blowing 30mph, the 20 has had plenty of snort to get the job done. Good luck with your purchase. It’ll make you concentrate. You only get two bangs.

I have three Cynergy's. 1 field 20, 1 field 28 and a Feather 20. The Feather is nice on long days but it let's you know it's light when you pull the trigger. I have a safe full of 20 O/U's and the Cynergy Field is my workhorse.

Just curious, when you break a Cynergy does the safety re-set? It doesn't on my Citori Featherweight which I find odd considering the quality & engineering that goes into Browning O/Us. It's my one complaint about it, otherwise I absolutely love it for upland hunting...

Just my 2 cents here, but at least for me if I have a choice between a 26" and 28" barrel, I always go with the 26"...

Just curious, when you break a Cynergy does the safety re-set? It doesn't on my Citori Featherweight which I find odd considering the quality & engineering that goes into Browning O/Us. It's my one complaint about it, otherwise I absolutely love it for upland hunting...

Just my 2 cents here, but at least for me if I have a choice between a 26" and 28" barrel, I always go with the 26"...
No, they don’t have an automatic reset.

It’s a really light, snappy gun. You should shoulder both lengths. You might find that the 28” swings a little smoother. I went with the 28” with extended choke tubes just to get it to slow down a little. I would like to change up the ejectors so they don’t pop the the cases out, but I haven’t done that yet. It’s a fun gun to carry. Good luck with it. I also bought it in 12ga. but I found the 20ga a lot more to my liking, and sold the 12ga. Good luck with your purchase.

Just spent 3 weeks in Kansas. Started with my Beretta 686 20ga. I shoot it well but after lots of miles (birds were thin in some areas) I went back to my Cynergy Feather 20ga. I believe I fits me a little better than the Beretta and I shoot it well. As long as I shoulder the gun properly the recoil isn't bad at all. With a gun this light, 28 inch barrels are the shortest you want. Otherwise it will whip on you. The other bonus of these older Cynergy's is that they come with multiple recoil pad lengths as well as spacers so you can adjust the fit easily.

I always go 28 in my O/U's as they're still shorter than a 28" auto.

I always go 28 in my O/U's as they're still shorter than a 28" auto.
JMC this is a very good point.
I hope people that read this and are thinking about a new over and under, understand this.

The worst thing that happens when you start messing with 26" or 24" guns is that you get on point so much quicker that you forget to keep swinging with the flight. You'll miss 99% of your shots and quote me on this and as your friends know..."I busted his tail feathers; dammit"!

The worst thing that happens when you start messing with 26" or 24" guns is that you get on point so much quicker that you forget to keep swinging with the flight. You'll miss 99% of your shots and quote me on this and as your friends know..."I busted his tail feathers; dammit"!
Ok, I have to call you on this one.

Are you seriously saying a guy will miss 99% of his shots if he uses 26" tubes rather than 28" on an O/U because he forgets to swing? Seems unlikely. Just speaking for myself, I don't miss anywhere near 99% of my shots using my 26" Citotri. To the contrary, I'm consistently successful on roosters with that shotgun. In fact, it's my favorite upland shotgun of all I have in my safes...

I prefer longer barrels in my O/U’s. My current 20 ga citori has 32” barrels and I love it. My 12 and 16 have 28” and that is the shortest I can shoot decently. Have owned 26” guns and they are too whippy for me. If I hunted ruffed grouse in the woods I may have a different opinion. Know some guys that live 26” guns on the prairie. To each their own really and get what works for you.

You're mi
Ok, I have to call you on this one.

Are you seriously saying a guy will miss 99% of his shots if he uses 26" tubes rather than 28" on an O/U because he forgets to swing? Seems unlikely. Just speaking for myself, I don't miss anywhere near 99% of my shots using my 26" Citotri. To the contrary, I'm consistently successful on roosters with that shotgun. In fact, it's my favorite upland shotgun of all I have in my safes...
It's all in interpretation...I'm saying 99% of the shots you miss will be because you are usually behind; not that you'll miss 99% of your shots. I don't miss often either but when I do, I'm late. I think a longer and thus heavier barrel creates a smoother swing throughout the shot. That's why you don't see 26" sporting clay guns. Just an opinion but after shooting O/U's for over 45 years and guiding hunts for 30...I'm semi-experienced as well.

OK, that clarifies your point.

For my thin & dusty dime's worth of opinion, I don't think a 28" barrel on an O/U makes that big of difference in follow through as opposed to a 26", but for me it makes a difference in handiness, storage, transport, and field carry. Besides that, if one is using extended choke tubes as many if not most guys do, they add 3/4"-1" to the barrel length.

I think the shotgun's overall weight is a much more significant factor in in follow through. My first string pump gun is a 26" Browning BPS, which because it's almost all steel, comes in at considerably over 8 lbs before I load it and put 5 goose shells in the butt stock carrier. I don't use it much for upland because it's so bloody heavy to cart around, but it's the shotgun I use almost exclusively for waterfowl hunting. The bottom eject helps keep rain & crap out of the action, the weight helps mitigate the recoil pounding of multiple shots with 3" & 3.5" steel loads, and when I swing through a bird it actually takes an effort to stop...

Last edited:
Back