video camera setup for hunting

paidin

I just received my ContourHD camera in the mail and mounted it on top of my electronic earmuffs. Tried it out when I did the shooting test for my concealed carry permit yesterday.

link to the resulting video: http://contour.com/stories/cc-shooting-test-with-the-sa-xdm-9mm

I plan on using this setup for pheasant hunting to get some action shots of my dog and maybe even record a shot of a bird to prove that I can hit something! sometimes... lol

Sweet! Video'ing pheasant hunting is probably one of the more difficult hunts to video so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. You could hear a little breeze over the mic...that's probably the most annoying thing about trying to watch any pheasant hunting footage. I wish there was a fix for this other than "mute".
But as they say, anything is better than nothing. Look forward to future posts.

Hands free and great footage. Looking forward to your huntin' vids.

Paiden, looks like the contour works pretty good. Please post some hunting vids when you are able. And I'd enjoy hearing what video editing software, if any, you are using.

I just recently picked up a GoPro Hero2 Hd video cam with a head strap mount. It looks a bit strange on one's head (over my cap) while hunting. I've tried it out on a hunting preserve already and it seems to work pretty well. Just gotta make sure you adjust the angle right to make sure you are filming where you are looking on the close ups......like accepting the bird from your dog. Not as fun looking at the top of their back instead of their faces with the birds :p

I bought it to take hunting vids as well as fishing ones offshore in Florida. They are real popular with the Florida fishing cowd. And the GoPro being waterproof was the main reason I bought it. I'll be posting some vids once we get back after Thanksgiving from our Pierre trip.

Brett

I bought the Lid cam from Rhino fits on yuor hunting hat bill. I liked it because you can turn the camera left of right up to 30 degrees. it looks straight down the barrel by doing that.
Well it broke so I took it back to get another and they were out. So I did look at the Go Pro hero 2. I don't want anything I have to mount on helmet or such and I know it has head straps too.
So here is my question..... I would like to see the Go pro when you look down the barrle of the gun. Because I believe it would not be looking at the same place you are. If the Lid cam didn't have the 30 degree turn it looked about 5 feet behind where I was looking.Didn't even see the gun.
I am leaving again for ND Dec 2nd. I would like someone to film looking down the barrel of a gun and see what the camera sees before I buy. Thanks for your help!

Here's a relatively new product (couple years old) called the I-KAM Extreme video glasses that I've been meaning to buy. Friend has them and they do a pretty good job.

Here is a sample of a hunter using the glasses on a Pheasant hunt I found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AVvx2u0Tgw

Last edited:
sooo tired from all that walking with no action. Here is a video of my first bird this weekend. It was unexpected so I shot before I could turn the camera on but at least have the retrieve. It takes a long time for me to upload since I have such a slow connection. Here is the first of a few videos that I will post for you guys to see.

http://contour.com/stories/first-rooster-killed-for-the-day

I will post more tomorrow after they upload overnight

Here's a relatively new product (couple years old) called the I-KAM Extreme video glasses that I've been meaning to buy. Friend has them and they do a pretty good job.

Here is a sample of a hunter using the glasses on a Pheasant hunt I found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AVvx2u0Tgw

My boss has the glasses he bought them the same time I bought the Lid Cam. He likes them too. I have to wear glasses so I can't use them. Thanks!

sooo tired from all that walking with no action. Here is a video of my first bird this weekend. It was unexpected so I shot before I could turn the camera on but at least have the retrieve. It takes a long time for me to upload since I have such a slow connection. Here is the first of a few videos that I will post for you guys to see.

http://contour.com/stories/first-rooster-killed-for-the-day

I will post more tomorrow after they upload overnight

Can you get it to look down the barrel when you shoot?

Can you get it to look down the barrel when you shoot?

well considering I had it turned off until I was ready to record, I could have bought the picatinny rail mount or the shotgun mount and mounted the camera onto the shotgun itself. I think I will do that next time so I do not have to wear that electronic earmuff to mount the camera on. My ears started hurting by the second day. I have some more videos that show what the gun looked like when I was about to shoot roosters... I mean hens! don't shoot!

The beginning of this video, you can see I just flushed a hen. A little more walking and my GSP locked onto another pheasant
http://contour.com/stories/mattie-and-buddy-on-point

The same all day long, lots of walking and maybe a couple hens would flush up.
http://contour.com/stories/buddy-on-point-with-two-hen-pheasants

Pretty cool!

Just wouldn't want that idiot hunting with me. Did you see him pull up on that last bird with his friend 10 yards IN FRONT of him? Hello? Anyone home?

I am interested in how everyone likes or dislikes the cameras they are using. How the picture quality and sound is and ease of use. How he hunts or shoots or how the picture my look to us and how it really looked to him is not of my concern. What I am amazed with is how 10 seconds of a clip causes someone to call another person names. Makes me wonder about his character and we will soon find out.

Thanks for the videos it is helping me with my camera pick!

What I am amazed with is how 10 seconds of a clip causes someone to call another person names. Makes me wonder about his character

Are you kidding me? I can tell you something about my character: You'll NEVER EVER see me put a hunting partner in a compromising position through reckless gun handling. It is THE most important thing regarding hunting with other people. Everyone knows that.................well, judjing from that video, almost everyone. Period.

hmm are you referring to me? Do you realize that the camera is using a 135 degree wide angle lens? Could it be that you are misjudging angles? Also, did you know that I do not turn off my safety until my gun is mounted? I definitely did not put anyone in danger. Safety is the top priority for us when we go hunting.

So here is my question..... I would like to see the Go pro when you look down the barrle of the gun. Because I believe it would not be looking at the same place you are.
The couple videos I've taken with the head strap mounted GoPro2 look right down the barrel. You can easily adjust the angle of the camera up or down. It's got a fish eye lens, so you see a much bigger field of view in the vid.

I've also had the IKam extreme. I was very, very disappointed in their quality. First pair I bought, the portal connecter for downloading pulled out with the cord making them useless. I contacted IKam and was told that wasn't covered under warranty :mad: Liking the concept and the few vids I had taken, I bought a second pair. That was a mistake as about 6 months into them, while filming, I couldn't turn them off :confused: Somehow the on/off switch quit working. I was never happy with the the lag time in turning them on and once on, waiting even longer for the recording to begin. Again.......no help from IKam :mad: Tossed them out and went with the GoPro.

I'll gladly post my first short vid at a preserve. You'll be able to see how it looks right down the barrel as I bring it up on the bird. Any advice, other than youtube, to download it to?

Brett

The couple videos I've taken with the head strap mounted GoPro2 look right down the barrel. You can easily adjust the angle of the camera up or down. It's got a fish eye lens, so you see a much bigger field of view in the vid.

I've also had the IKam extreme. I was very, very disappointed in their quality. First pair I bought, the portal connecter for downloading pulled out with the cord making them useless. I contacted IKam and was told that wasn't covered under warranty :mad: Liking the concept and the few vids I had taken, I bought a second pair. That was a mistake as about 6 months into them, while filming, I couldn't turn them off :confused: Somehow the on/off switch quit working. I was never happy with the the lag time in turning them on and once on, waiting even longer for the recording to begin. Again.......no help from IKam :mad: Tossed them out and went with the GoPro.

I'll gladly post my first short vid at a preserve. You'll be able to see how it looks right down the barrel as I bring it up on the bird. Any advice, other than youtube, to download it to?

Brett

Thanks Brett,

That's what I was wondering about. You can post it on you tube and put the adress in your post here.
Here's what I found on the internet last night: It is called hat cam. it is only about $25.00. That is for the hat the the camera connector.
So I had a tripod with the connector that is broke. I took the connector off the stand and drilled a hole through my hat and mounted my cannon PowerShot SD1100 IS to it. truned the camera about 20 degrees. What a great video. I will take another video tomorrow if I get off work early enough to be light out.

Lazlo

No, I'm not referring to you paiden. This is where the confusion lies. I'm referring to the you tube video associated with the video glasses. Watch the video.

Your right Now I am cofused. jsdriggs please post the the address of the video you are talking about. I sure didn't see it in paidin's vidoes he posted. The only videos that we were talking about and looking at on this thread is paidins.

Lazlo

Thanks paidin for your help too. I will be back out hunting in ND in December. I hope to post some good vids.
Keep posting your vids I like watching them.

video glasses

Check this out. This video was made last November in ND using the videoglasses. Although the angle was wrong on some of my shots, overall I think it came out pretty well, not to mention it was -11 degrees when this was filmed. Sorry to say my glasses got run over last snowmobile season so this year I went with the GoPro HD, will upload video when I return from ND.

http://youtu.be/oJmA3QW62UM

Last edited:
I have the Go Pro Hero Helmet cam as well. It works well. Here is a quick clip of a pups first bird experience. It had HD mode as well, and slow motion. It has several mounts. And once you figure out how to use it it takes better video then mine,LOL Hero has some good vids on there site too you can check out. It can take great video for 2+ hrs and can go under water with the water proof housing. I plan to start using mine more soon. Just click on the picture to view, I use photo bucket.

Last edited:
Here's my first unedited video with my new GoPro Hero2. It was on a headstrap mount over my hunting ball cap. Kinda looks like a miners' light. You'll notice near the end with the dogs around, the angle wasn't adjusted right and I didn't catch their faces for the bird retrieval and watering. There is no view screen, so it'll be a feel thing adjusting the camera angle. Or perhaps I'll purchase the separate detached view screen to actually see what I'm filming.

I'm leaving this afternoon for 8 days in Pierre, SD with my buddy to chase phez and sharpies. I'll post some vids in a couple weeks of the dogwork and scenery......and hopefully plenty of birds :p And by the way, that's my buddy's son shooting the bird a bit close. A good shot, but I still razzed him about "poofing" that bird and a few others later on at the truck :D

Brett

Back