video camera setup for hunting

Ok here is what I have done:
I took a broken camera tripod apart took the screw that fits the bottom of the camera and set it aside. Then I drilled a hole through my hat that would fit the screw I took from the tripod. I put the screw into the hat and put a locknut on top it fits tight but not screwed tight to big for the threads. Then I just mounted a camera that I already had on it. It works great! I will post some video's in two weeks when I get back or I can just make a video now.

GoPro!

Spent the weekend hunting with a buddy and family. Friday, had GoPro ready to go not realizing the camera went to picture mode. So here I was pumped to have captured the first rooster of the 2011 season being taken over a great point only to get home that night and see only pictures were taken of the day. A little disappointed!
Day 2, I wasn't going to make the same mistake however the weather conditions of freezing rain/snow weren't ideal.
Day 3, with all the excitement of seeing birds, I simply forgot to record the first 3 birds taken on our first walk. Then not stopping the filming after a point and then realizing I shut it off when dogs went on point again! Frustrating. I wished I had a mirror so I could glance at the camera to see if the red light was flashing (meaning it was recording). So by the time we were done walking the first field and realizing it was still video'ing after I got in the truck, the battery was down to nothing. Then to even more disappointment, the last field we walked and got 5 more birds out of, I really wished I had the camera rolling.
All in all, I'm happy with it but just need to be more disciplined to turn it on and off and make sure it's in video mode.

All in all, I'm happy with it but just need to be more disciplined to turn it on and off and make sure it's in video mode.
I agree UGA. You have to pre-program the camera when you unbox it to shoot vids.......ya shoulda read the manual :p And when turning it on, you have to listen to the number of beeps to confirm you are turning it on. Turning it on, as I recall, is something like 7 beeps, while the off number is 3. They have a separate view screen you can purchase, but I've heard it eats the battery. I was getting about 2.5 hrs out of my battery (with a 32 gig card) in 20* weather and 3hrs in 40* plus this past week in SD. Lots of footage (probably 6-7 hrs) that will take quite a bit of time to edit down. What little I've watched is good, but with the fish-eye lens of the waterproof case, the further shots are hard to see the bird. I'm thinking I'll need the non fish-eye case to better see the birds in the longer shots of 35 yds plus.

Brett

Who needs a manual? :)

I guess I do. I didn't even know it beeped. That feature may have been turned off.
I found a great deal on two new batteries and a car charger for $27 (incls S&H). Pricing out the battery alone, they are a little over $10. The charger alone was $17. So I went with the $23 package deal and $4 S&H.
Let me know if you are interested, I'll get you site info.

Back