Vet Recommends Eye Removal

BritChaser

My dog got shot and blinded in one eye season before last. The eye changed appearance in the last several weeks and looked swollen. Sure enough, an exam at the vet revealed glaucoma in that eye. The glaucoma treatment is lifetime, drops in the affected eye three times a day. The vet recommends removal. Anyone had experience with removal? Thanks.

Last edited:
Britchaser,
It may not be what you are looking for but I have Glaucoma as well as my father and his two brothers and sister as well as as both of his parents, we all use eye drops twice a day and it seems to be working. My grandparents were not good about using their eye drops and did not get diagnosed with it until it was really to late for the drops to work. My father a few years ago had laser surgery on both of his eyes and does not have to use drops. I do not know if this can be done on a dog or not.

Just my .02 cents but I would try the drops. If you're like me, I hit the backyard in the morning before I head to work and then when I get back home, and sometimes before I hit the rack. Might not be three times, but for sure it's two and could be worth trying. Best of luck to you and your bud.

I had one with an eye that was removed fighting with his brother. It was completely detached,we tried to save it but it was fruitless. Had the eye taken out a week later. He was and its a very competent birddog, He does bump around the furniture some, but in the field he's fine. I would be concerned about either senario. My research on eyes, including my father case, all eyes are dependent on the other, eyes may get affected the same way in time. I don't know about this injury, my pup was immediate, and both eyes were healthy at the time. I would ask the vet if this is an isolated instance? will enunculation solve it? if we treat it do we risk the other one? Good Luck.

For learnings sake, may I ask, How did the dog get shot? How old is he/she? What happens if eyedrops are not given for a day or two or three? As we know, animals are resilient. A dog probably won't miss a beat minus an eye. I'd take a number of things into consideration including cost of operation, age, how he preforms,ect. I feel your pain, good luck, hope things urn out for both.

For learnings sake, may I ask, How did the dog get shot? How old is he/she? What happens if eyedrops are not given for a day or two or three? As we know, animals are resilient. A dog probably won't miss a beat minus an eye. I'd take a number of things into consideration including cost of operation, age, how he preforms,ect. I feel your pain, good luck, hope things urn out for both.

Good points which I have considered. The dog got shot while in high cover as none of the three of us hunting together were aware of it happening and the dog did not so much as yelp, or if he did we did not hear him. The dog just kept hunting and it was only an hour later that I noticed his eyelid quivering and a piece of shot half embedded in the top of his muzzle.

The eye got reinjured in recent weeks - probably by running into a hard object around the house - and it is swollen and protruding. It will be removed in a few days, all for the better.

with these secondary glaucomas (from an injury not a breed-disposed primary disease) I usually recommend enucleation (removal). The dog is already blind in that eye and now it has a painful disease as well. Remove the eye, the dog is still obviously blind in that eye but no longer hurts. The dog will do fine, I have done the same surgery in horses and they compensate and do well also. Medical treatment for advanced secondary glaucomas has not been productive in my practice.

with these secondary glaucomas (from an injury not a breed-disposed primary disease) I usually recommend enucleation (removal). The dog is already blind in that eye and now it has a painful disease as well. Remove the eye, the dog is still obviously blind in that eye but no longer hurts. The dog will do fine, I have done the same surgery in horses and they compensate and do well also. Medical treatment for advanced secondary glaucomas has not been productive in my practice.

Thanks for your recommendation. While the glaucoma and prednisone drops have eliminated at least some of the pain and the conjunctivitis, the eye protrudes and will probably get punctured the next time we are afield in tough cover. So the eye should come out, and will next Monday. The dog will be better off and I can stop worrying.

Follow Up: terrific surgeon. not one drop of fluid or any kind came out of the socket. no cone collar. dog never pawed at it. never lost a step. went on to finish his life with many more days afield, finally succumbing to cancer (the leading cause of dog deaths) in his old age.

Last edited:
My 11-year-old Brit has just been diagnosed with glaucoma in one eye. Heart breaker.
I've been putting dorzolamide and latanoprost drops for a week which vet said would help reduce the pressure in the eye. It did seem to help a little.
Vet and my research say there is a significant chance the other eye develops it too.
Some chance the removed eye could be examined to find out what caused the glaucoma which may help save the other eye.
Surgery is scheduled.

This thread was pretty old. Anyone with recent experience dealing with this?

Thanks

Back