vacant public land

benelli-banger

drove by some KILLER looking public areas just outside of a town in SW MN on Friday while heading to SD...MEA weekend as well...vacant around noon...yes, could have been hunted at 9 or whatever...i will be back there soon! 4 nice pieces in about 15 miles...right off a paved county road...town is right there in relation to the first one...

drove by some KILLER looking public areas just outside of a town in SW MN on Friday while heading to SD...MEA weekend as well...vacant around noon...yes, could have been hunted at 9 or whatever...i will be back there soon! 4 nice pieces in about 15 miles...right off a paved county road...town is right there in relation to the first one...

What is this "vacant" public land you speak of? :) I've had dreams of such places.

My favorite is getting up at 5, packing a lunch, packing the truck, hitting the road at 5:30, driving 2.5 hours to my favorite public land. Pulling in, first one here, sweet, it's 8, I listen to the dog whine for almost an hour. I wait until 8:55, some asshat pulls in at 8:59 pulls down on the opposite side of the wma, hops out like they own the place. SMH, etiquette these days seems in very short supply.

Classic Minnesota thing that you do not see in other states unless in is a Minnesotan crowding you.

That said, I have never had a problem with anyone crowding me at a grouse trail or pheasant spot. I typically do not hunt MN opener for grouse or pheasants so I lose that comparison. Most times in later season, I am fairly sure I am the first and only one hitting spots all day long (albeit often done before we reach the last few hours of the day).

We hunted West Central MN last weekend. Only saw one other group! We saw plenty of birds too. Heading back Monday for a week.

Jon here in Minnetonka...have not hunted MN in years. Considering a one-day hunt next Saturday. Have no idea how far west one must go to even see a bird. I have a copy of the state (Bird / sq mile) map and it indicates the biggest concentrations ar the far western counties.

Not sure I want to drive 3 hours for a one day event.

Any suggestions?

pulled into a GPA outside of Slayton on my way to SD on tuesday....made the mistake of bringing my phone...3 minutes into the GPA, I got a text and was dumb enough to pull phone out to check it...dogs kept going...rooster flushed about 45 yards..phone in one hand, gun in another....DUMMY!!!!! beautiful piece...both sides of road...nobody there...yes, tuesday afternoon...i get it.

What is this "vacant" public land you speak of? :) I've had dreams of such places.

My favorite is getting up at 5, packing a lunch, packing the truck, hitting the road at 5:30, driving 2.5 hours to my favorite public land. Pulling in, first one here, sweet, it's 8, I listen to the dog whine for almost an hour. I wait until 8:55, some asshat pulls in at 8:59 pulls down on the opposite side of the wma, hops out like they own the place. SMH, etiquette these days seems in very short supply.

This made me smile and cringe. :):mad: So true and nothing pisses you off more....

I was out yesterday. Actually timed my trip wrong and ended up at my first spot around 8:15. Headed out at 9AM. Return to truck at 10 AM and come to find another hunter is out there somewhere ... why he decided to hunt the same spot is beyond me ... Only 80 acres or so.:rolleyes:

Only saving grace is I killed a rooster about 15 yards from the vehicles walking back to my truck. Brit had him pinned.

Some how a few rooster feathers came loose when I was walking back to my truck and floated down and into the water bowl by his white pick up.:)

My wife and I are down here too. I thought the same thing what's up with all the darn hunters. We got a couple but tough hunting in this wind.

I was out yesterday and the first field we walked into we got about 300 yards in before we saw there was another group on the far side. Some of these bigger WMA’s can be hard when they have no designated parking and multiple access points.

In this case they parked next to my truck. The area is locked by private land on all sides except the north and that has a creek / ditch ...

I live in Northern Illinois and am thinking about grouse hunting this fall in Minnesota. Have a nice dog.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am flexible on time and place.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Steve Vecchio, Rockford, Illinois

Back