Urge to go

TGM

I am retired, have a good dog and am 5-6 hour drive from prime SD hunting. I plan to make a few trips this season. I wasn’t planning to go next week but am now getting the itch. Is it crazy to try opening week? It’s either stay home and think about it, or give it a try. If I go, it will be Monday- Thursday.

I lost my private land connection near Miller so this year it is all public in new areas. I was thinking of either staying in Redfield or Aberdeen. I have no history with either. Redfield may have fewer hunters next week but has much less public. Any suggestions?

I hunted Redfield about 5 years ago, 2 weeks after the opener and I could tell the public areas we hunted had been absolutely pounded. Empty shell casings at the parking spots, pheasant feathers, and vehicle tracks had the parking areas just matted down. I also wasn't impressed with the number of birds I saw compared to other areas I've hunted both in SD or MN.

Another thing I noticed with that area, as you mentioned, was the lack of public ground. It was a long drive to every public piece I hunted. I probably spent almost as much time driving as I did hunting. Given that it's opening week, I would expect you to see a large number of hunters. Especially since out of staters buy a week long license, I'd imagine many of them plan a weeks hunt. Not telling you don't go, but just expect to see other hunters.

10 years ago Redfield was our regular basecamp. Great area, but it is sort of in the center of the 'lost WIAs' these days. There used to be a good number of great public spots around, but those got pulled out of CRP several years ago. Now you will drive an hour in any direction to find decent public ground that has not been pounded. So no longer a great option for public land hunters.

I usually steer clear of Aberdeen, especially near the opener, but they really have added a lot of public ground the past few years so it is starting to grow on me - We make a stop or 2 there on our way to/from the house each trip and usually find birds. There are a LOT of people hunting around Aberdeen, but I think there is now enough ground to absorb them. Plus, you can always swing into the Silver Dollar for a drink.

I make lots of trips annually…I’m
8 hours away. Find a smallish town with motel opening (may be hard), focus on WPA’s, WIA’s, GMA’s…crops coming out fast, birds are more visible…go!

Since non-residents are required to buy one 10-day or two 5-day licenses, I have to imagine most of them aren't just coming for opening weekend, as @Munster927 stated. Many of them will be around for their 5 day period when the season begins.

Redfield…Arlington…Madison…De Smet…Woonsocket…Wessington Springs…find a motel that’s 25-40 miles from a “big” town…ENJOY! Get out at daybreak and drive around public areas…find one you like, park and hold it down! Thermos of coffee and bag of treats? You’re good!

Chat it up at the cafe, pub, hardware store, gas station…talk about THEM! Weather, crop prices, yields, local football team, how much you enjoy that town, etc…have fun!!!!

If you're retired and can pick your days, find a little motel and start your 5 days on Tuesday or Wednesday. A lot of people with go out and burn 5 days starting on Saturday the 15th. Could be after all the hunting and partying over the weekend, a good chunk of them will be packing up tuesday night and hitting the road Wednesday sometime. You could hunt and scout for 5 days, crops will be coming out the entire time, I guarantee you'll learn something. This will be my 3rd season pheasant hunting SD, and every year I/we go to a different area. The only problem is, I'd love to get back to a few spots from past seasons at some point in time🤔!

These are just my thoughts.

If I was 5-6 hours away and already planning on making multiple trips this year I’d be going! Weather forecast for area we hunt is showing good temps with only a couple days getting to 60’s. Crop coming out. All signs say go!

I hunted Redfield about 5 years ago, 2 weeks after the opener and I could tell the public areas we hunted had been absolutely pounded. Empty shell casings at the parking spots, pheasant feathers, and vehicle tracks had the parking areas just matted down. I also wasn't impressed with the number of birds I saw compared to other areas I've hunted both in SD or MN.

Another thing I noticed with that area, as you mentioned, was the lack of public ground. It was a long drive to every public piece I hunted. I probably spent almost as much time driving as I did hunting. Given that it's opening week, I would expect you to see a large number of hunters. Especially since out of staters buy a week long license, I'd imagine many of them plan a weeks hunt. Not telling you don't go, but just expect to see other hunters.
agree, staying in Redfield no longer an advantage, unless you have access to private.

Chat it up at the cafe, pub, hardware store, gas station…talk about THEM! Weather, crop prices, yields, local football team, how much you enjoy that town, etc…have fun!!!!
This is really good advice. My hunting buddy is out EVERY morning, first thing, in the coffee shop, in the gas station, talking to folks, hearing how the harvest is going, etc.

Back