Upland Forecast

The program has devolved into just another form of farmer welfare
The federal crop insurance program is really not that much different either. My Grandfather used to be a long time crop insurance agent and some of the stories he told me were downright ridiculous. I highly doubt its changed either. The agriculture lobby has a tremendous amount of power.

in the 2000s four or five of us limited on WIHA opening weekend almost every year we went. Hunting that same general area the last five or six years, we managed to kill around 10 birds opening weekend. That's with four to five guys but hunting private CRP corners instead of WIHA. That area doesn't even resemble the place we knew from the 2000s.
Probably Kiowa or Edwards or somewhere around there? Its all went to shit -- I'm in S Dakota and this place is a joke -- weather chased us out of N Dakota -- if we dont see much tomorrow I'm never coming back to this state. The walkin here is a bigger joke than KS -- we drove to 20-30 that looked ok on gis -- only 1 was good pheasant cover with feed nearby - others mowed to nothing, green cool season grass looking like a golf course, etc -- saw maybe 10 -20 pheasants in 270 miles of driving today.

I was all excited to spend more time "hunting home" this year but this thread and the reports sound pretty bleak - when it's shitty I'll just chase prairie chickens and enjoy walking. Shot 2 today by dumb luck here in SD. That was cool. Still better than being home. We shall see what SD brings tomorrow. Too bad that front chased us out of ND.

Probably Kiowa or Edwards or somewhere around there? Its all went to shit -- I'm in S Dakota and this place is a joke -- weather chased us out of N Dakota -- if we dont see much tomorrow I'm never coming back to this state. The walkin here is a bigger joke than KS -- we drove to 20-30 that looked ok on gis -- only 1 was good pheasant cover with feed nearby - others mowed to nothing, green cool season grass looking like a golf course, etc -- saw maybe 10 -20 pheasants in 270 miles of driving today.

I was all excited to spend more time "hunting home" this year but this thread and the reports sound pretty bleak - when it's shitty I'll just chase prairie chickens and enjoy walking. Shot 2 today by dumb luck here in SD. That was cool. Still better than being home. We shall see what SD brings tomorrow. Too bad that front chased us out of ND.
What area of SD did you end up in?

What area of SD did you end up in?
Aberdeen tried that one and a half days. Yuck. Full of swamps and the entire countryside is coated in roundup w no cover. Everything mowed and full of most likely non native cool season grasses like brome and fescue. Probably have to commercial hunt or take a lab to a swamp w cattails to see any birds. Saw about 10 to 15 in 270 miles of driving and checking out 30 plus wiha. Went to ft Pierre grasslands and will try to come back. Spent the afternoon there. Saw more wildlife in 4 hours than we did in ne south dakota spending 2 days including driving through. Im pretty sure most birds shot around Aberdeen are the pen raised variety for the clientele that filled up the hotel we stayed in.

Back