Upland boots, struggling

mstand

Last year, around Octberish, I bought a new pair of Mendle Denalis from Cabelas. I had gone through my Danners, Rocky's etc. All seemed to leak very badly. I was directed to the Denalis by a friend. I worked hard to break these boots in. Including wearing them all summer during training. Now they are a year old and after 3 solid days of hunting I have TERRIBLE blisters. I would show pictures, but it is pretty gross. My feet constantly ache in them too. I was hoping it was all break in, but I am beginning to think not. I have tried SEVERAL different sock options aswell.
So, I am here looking for new ideas. I love my Danners so long as I am sure I will not get my feet wet. They fit me like a tennis shoe. I have also been looking at the Mendle Perfek hunters. Also the Cabelas 9 inch outfitter series pro hunting boot.
Any help.

Big fan of the Danner Pronghorns here. I've been wearing them, exclusively, for nearly a decade now. They come with a one year warranty, so I basically get new boots for free (seams split) every year. I buy from Scheel's. Great customer service here in West Des Moines.

Yeah, I dont understand that. Both pairs that I have gotten have leaked terribly.
The comfort rocks once they are broke in. But I cant deal with the leaking.

Yeah, I dont understand that. Both pairs that I have gotten have leaked terribly.
The comfort rocks once they are broke in. But I cant deal with the leaking.

Pronghorns with the rubber on the toe? They've never leaked for me, and I walk through water, etc.

They are these ones.

20131109_181500_zps403b26db.jpg

another vote for Danner Pronghorns...I've worn them since they came out with them....the original ones were much better than what they are now but they are a very good and comfortable boot. back in the 90's we used to wear the Danner Predators which now are called the grouse or something to the tune of almost $300 a pair. Pronghorns are a lot of bang for the buck.

Ordinarily. I would give the pronghorns a top rating.... but on oct 1 I headed out anf forgoty pronghorns. A quick stop at cabelas in mitchell and I was all set with a new pair. After 4 days of hunting with a different pair of socks on. I coykdnt take them anymore and returned them to cabelas. They ate my heel something fierce, something my previous 2 pairs never done. I traded them in for a different pair of cabelas boots.

My most recent pair I got on clearance at Scheels in Springfield IL. I don't know what it is but its almost like they make 2 different lines of them....it's not the different models but it's like different manufacturing altogether....like China vs U.S. made. my friend is a dealer for them and the boots at his store are noticeably better quality...ones I saw at Scheels were "cheap" looking and feeling. Mine have been ok as far as comfort but already are wearing lot more than previous pairs I've had. thing that make ya go hmmmmmmmm?

It is what it is

In my humble opinion MStand you might consider the Irish Setter brand and specifically the Wingshooter model. Throughout my life I have learned when it comes to guns, ammo, whiskey, and women that you get what you pay for!:) You are seeking enjoyment and comfort so spoil yourself!:)

You will pay over $200 for the best equipped model of this shoe but you will not want for another pair.

Ken

In my humble opinion MStand you might consider the Irish Setter brand and specifically the Wingshooter model. Throughout my life I have learned when it comes to guns, ammo, whiskey, and women that you get what you pay for!:) You are seeking enjoyment and comfort so spoil yourself!:)

You will pay over $200 for the best equipped model of this shoe but you will not want for another pair.

Ken

Red wings are solid selection for 40 years, maybe more. I also have and enjoy Russell, made specifically for you! Never a problem, buy the triple vamp, use mink oil, forget the gortex , but 300-500 a pair! Boots are pricey, but feet are irreplaceable. If you hunt exclusively in swamps or cattails, might try Le Chameau (sic). They are a heavy walking boot, but are leather lined and real rubber, and do not leak, lifetime warranty. Orvis has them, along with Gokey's.

Ken

Unfortunately KBell, Irish Setter brand also is not what they used to be since being farmed out to China. Still ok, but not what the old original Irish Setter boots were like at all.

The Red Wing Shoe brand is still primarily handmade in the USA at the company's plants in Potosi, Missouri and a plant in Red Wing, Minnesota. In addition to manufacturing footwear under their own name, Red Wing Shoes also manufactures shoes under the Irish Setter Boots, Vasque, Carhartt (discontinued in 2011), and Worx brands. These non-Red Wing brands include a majority of models manufactured in the People's Republic of China

Last edited:
Last year, around Octberish, I bought a new pair of Mendle Denalis from Cabelas. I had gone through my Danners, Rocky's etc. All seemed to leak very badly. I was directed to the Denalis by a friend. I worked hard to break these boots in. Including wearing them all summer during training. Now they are a year old and after 3 solid days of hunting I have TERRIBLE blisters. I would show pictures, but it is pretty gross. My feet constantly ache in them too. I was hoping it was all break in, but I am beginning to think not. I have tried SEVERAL different sock options aswell.
So, I am here looking for new ideas. I love my Danners so long as I am sure I will not get my feet wet. They fit me like a tennis shoe. I have also been looking at the Mendle Perfek hunters. Also the Cabelas 9 inch outfitter series pro hunting boot.
Any help.

Maybe one of these will help, they sure made a big difference for me.

Sole: http://www.yoursole.com/us/mens/footbeds

Superfeet: http://www.superfeet.com/

Appreciate the input. I have some homework to do for sure. But for now, i am "Heeling" up.pun intended. Shame too, I am ready for another round!

About 8-9 years ago old pair of Danners finally disintegrated on me after 15 years of wear. I replaced them with a pair of Danner Pronghorns from Gander Mountain, then went to SD hunting. Very, very comfortable right out of the box. On day 3 it snowed and the boots leaked. Cold and wet feet are no fun, especially when you've just plunked down $170+ for new.

When I got back I called Danner. Sent the boots back to them. They offered to replace. I told them I would pay for an upgrade to one of their American made boots. the Pronghorns are made in China. I got the Raptor. This past spring the Raptors started leaking after 8 seasons and some of the stitching was ripping out. For $150 they torn them down, put in a new Gore-tex liner and rebuild the boots. I got back my comfortable boot and like new.

It pays to upgrade to American made and skip the cheap Chinese $h!t.

I had a pair of Danner Pronghorns I bought in 05 or so. Had them up until 2011. Comfortable as all get out but they leaked like crazy after a couple seasons. Didnt matter how much oil/sealer I put on them.

I still wanted to give Danner a try since they are so comfortable. I moved up to these (dont get sticker shock)

http://www.danner.com/boots/hawk-gtxr-mens-womens-200g-hunting-boots.html

Very comfortable and they are rebuildable since they are made in the US and not overseas and have a stitch on sole.

Only nitpick I have on them is the weight. Other than that great boot and the cordura material is holding up great.

I have a 30% off code for www.shoebuy.com and am thinking about buying a pair of these as the sale ends tonight.

http://www.danner.com/boots/ridgemaster-gtxr-400g-hunting-boots.html

They are new for this year and from what I can tell they are the Danner Pronghorn but the difference is they are making them in their American factory with American Components. They make an uninsulated model as well and Id probably buy that one. With 30% off makes it more affordable.

Anyways I think their quality controls are much better with the American boots. You'll have to order them online, none of the shoe stores or sporting goods places Ive seen keep them in stock. If you buy from shoebuy they have free shipping to you and free shipping on returns. (Though they make you jump through a hoop or two to return them, but hey, for all the money I save and the risk free purchase I'll deal with it).

I almost bought the Danner Grouse as I have seen that get some good reviews.

I bought a pair of the Irish setter Havocs upland boots. Love them, Light and seems like I have had them for a year the first time I put them on. Have wore them a couple of mornings that had a very heavy due and my feet stayed dry.

I have a pair of Danner Grouse that are probably about 8 years old. Last year they started to leak a little. I will put another season on them and send them back to Danner for a rebuild. It is great to hear the rebuild success from others. These boots are great! Light weight and fairly high boot for support. I use them for everything from hunting, hiking, backpacking etc and am very pleased.
If it gets wet this season I will put on my pair of gortex socks to keep the feet dry.

Cabelas Outfitter Pro 9"

For what it's worth, I recently bought the Cabelas Outfitter Pro 9" hunting boots, and I like them so far. With minimal break in time, I wore them all last weekend for the Colorado opener. Walked a lot of miles, and my feet felt great at the end of the day.

That being said, everyone's feet are different. What works for me may not work for you...

Will never buy a pair of Danner Pronghorns again. Junk. Have been wearing nothing but Meindl's for the past three years. If their quality holds up for decades I don't see owning another brand of boot.

Last edited:
Back