UPH hunt

After 4-5 years of talking about it and never getting it done, FC and I are meeting for a hunt today. Looks like we will just get it done before the snow moves in. Hopefully we will have some pics to post. With Brittanys and Springers in the field together the pheasants won't stand a chance!

A great day was had indeed! Nice weather, good dogs, straight shootin' and a limit of birds. Thanks FC, let's do it again.

IMG_20151129_123508882_zpsk8nnwnsf.jpg

Did you hunt the dogs together?

Yes we did, with no issues. I tried to stay to one side and FC the other. Elle, my Brittany, is a pretty big runner so she was generally working out ahead with FC's dogs working in closer. They worked well together. If Elle was on point FC would usually "hup" his dog and let me walk in for the flush. I have never experienced a problem hunting flushing and pointing dogs together.

It was fun, nice dog George. Well none are banished but I should be. I wanted a bird for my youngster who will go home with MattD next weekend. he is a soft dog and has been hunting well for me. I made the mistake of putting the collar on him by habit hunting, just never normally him. He shut down most of the time. It dawned on me when we were finishing that pass. I took it off and he started to open up right away. But we only had about 100 yards to the truck through where we already had been.
I did get home and took him out behind the house and ran him. And there you go. He did what he was supposed to. Hunted real nice and put up a hen. Lesson learned. He just will not run with a collar on.

Willow was great, dug a buried one out of the canary grass, made a nice retrieve. Also flushed a hen. And yes there was great team work on pointed birds. If you teach them to hup there should never be an issue.:thumbsup: I then broke out my one other young dog for the last bird, and we just got going and Ellie had one pinned down up ahead right away, so she never really got much work. I had the old man FC OD in the truck, but he never made it out of the crate. We were done. Guess next time it will be his turn LOL.

Last edited:
Very cool! You two are both on my list of guys to hunt with on here, someday it will happen.:cheers:

G Busey

A tornadic super cell of pointing/flushing fantastic fun and greatness. that's what G. Busey would have said. Looks like a good time was had by all.

Wow must be a real bummer to have your limit before you can run all your dogs.....:10sign: We do run into that with woodcock, but just not the same as shooting roosters.

Nice.

The only time I have seen issues with hunting unfamiliar dogs together is on the retrieving side and/or around the dead birds back by the truck. Looks like (by the photo) that the dogs did not try too hard to establish dominance over the dead birds.

Wow must be a real bummer to have your limit before you can run all your dogs.....:10sign: We do run into that with woodcock, but just not the same as shooting roosters.

Next time I don't let Zeb off so easy with running pups.;). Willow scored first, but she is a ringer that rips up a field. After that it was pups. Next bird was a volunteer that flew past Zeb, no dog found, but my pup and I were just about there and he indicated the spot. So no score, but meat in the bag. 3rd bird was a solo point for Zeb. 4th bird was a point with ellie running way ahead before we got off the road, so my 2nd pup never got to work any much. Getting the limit before all the dogs is a laws problem LOL. Later it jumps to 3 here. MN has the dumbest law makers on earth. I think they all go to a legal pot state before sessions.:D. Man I have been gone a bunch. I missed some of these posts. This year looks great for birds. The picture shows all the snow we got all winter.:thumbsup:

Back