Unhappy with my home state (MN) hunters.

The Block Management System Montana has in place works well. If it is used as intended it is great.
Wish more States had a system like that. When on a piece of BMA land (PRIVATE) I do my best to respect the fact that I am a guest
on private property and treat it as a privelidge. Appreciate the program for what it is.

Thanks for sharing and I agree with your sentiment that all hunters should do their ultimate best to follow the laws and promote positive relationships with landowners. I think MN gets pointed out here because of its very large population versus other states in the core upland bird hunting range. It comes down to percentages that the more people from a given state that hunt, the better chance of a bad apple doing something dumb. There's also the fact that the more people that knock asking for permission, the more a landowner will say no or ask for payment. Unfortunately a big downside of the world today is technology spilling the beans on good public hunting. The same thing happens with a good fishing bite. I think all the regular members on this site are stand-up guys, but it never hurts to post a message urging others to not be "slob hunters" and rule breakers.
I agree with the above statement. I think there are more hunters in MN that leave their homestate to pursue other game or bag limits. So its more a numbers thing. I also agree that there are bad apples in every group of people. But I have had 2 rude experiences in the field. Both in Kansas and both MN hunters. The first one was when 2 guys saw me walking a field, drove past, then turned around and drove ahead of me down the road, jumped out and skirted across right in front of me in the middle of s field. Public hunting so whatcha gonna do? License plates were MN and they even had a pheasants forever trim around the plates. The 2nd was when 2 guys pulled up to see how I was doing. They hadn't had much luck and after they saw that I was having success. So in a matter of about 30 seconds they insulted me, my dogs, and my gun. I just smiled and got in my truck. Conversation over. But again I think it's numbers. I saw more MN plates that weekend than any other state.

Returned from my 2nd trip this year to MT and will be back in December. Close to over 20 trips under my belt. Been able to forge lasting relationships with many of the landowners out there. This year was different with the landowners. Not towards me, but there attitude toward out of state hunters. Hunting pressure is increasing every year. Landowners are having an increase in trespassers. More than a couple stated that the biggest offenders are from MN. Texas was next. Being from MN this really pissed me off. So, you MN hunters don't screw up MT pheasant hunting like you screwed up ND waterfowl hunting. I'm hoping it's the the guys making a one time trip cuz it's on their bucket list or read a post where someone hotspots a location. By all means go out there, but don't screw it up for guys like me from MN or all other States. There is plenty of public land to hunt. Knock on doors. Do your research. Landowners stated that if they go through another season like this, they are going to push for non-resident 3 day licenses. That will most likely not happen. Access to their land will end though. You one and doners or guys who make multiple trips may not think trespassing is a big deal, but to guys like me it is. Play by the rules or stay home.
In the commercial hunting space I'll say this... MN clients have quite a bad reputation. Southeast/South US hunting clients are viewed very positive and I've been told by multiple commercial clients that the hunting clientele in different areas is hit or miss. I've even had a few of my customers target down south customers on Google Ads/Bing Ads vs. up north. Why are MN clients such a pain in the ass? PS, I live in MN... it's fascinating. Are we MN's just a bunch of passive aggressive A-holes?

I believe the problem stems from the core area of the twin cities. Weekend warriors and the like. Hunters without ethics. Disrespectful towards other hunters and landowners. They have little to no hunting education or skills. I can't stand them. Yes, I'm a Minnesotan. For now.

I believe the problem stems from the core area of the twin cities. Weekend warriors and the like. Hunters without ethics. Disrespectful towards other hunters and landowners. They have little to no hunting education or skills. I can't stand them. Yes, I'm a Minnesotan. For now.
And...

They have no peer pressure to make them want to abide by the hunting societal rules; they come, they spend, and they toss their social and actual trash as they leave. The might be gun owners, but they are not hunters by any definition I have experienced.

But they are not restricted to MN, but I've seen their trash all over.

I've been known to wish them a slow leak on their way home. Not my finest trait.

As a proud weekend warrior from the twin cities area, I can't speak for the lack of perceived hunter ethics from people that live here.

A couple of my worst experiences with other hunters have come from locals in the area I was hunting. Once in Kansas turkey hunting and in western MN pheasant hunting. I think the animosity from locals or people who can get out more, with a feeling of "it's more mine than theirs" gets things off on the wrong foot. My 2 cents anyway.

As a proud weekend warrior from the twin cities area, I can't speak for the lack of perceived hunter ethics from people that live here.
Neither can I. What I can say is that it definitely wasn't me, and I'm sure it wasn't Munster either.

To paint a broad brush and say that Minnesota or Twin Cities based hunters are unethical, unsafe, or socially awkward because it does not align with your personal views is inaccurate, unfair, and nothing but perceived bias. Unless you have an enormous sample size, it was nothing but coincidence. I think some of you are confusing the law with what YOU think is ethical or not ethical. I personally think that walking on a road and hunting the ditch is anything but pure laziness, but if its legal in the state you choose to do it, so be it. Whether its ethical in my mind or your mind is an irrelevant point.

If you want to deal with trashy people, go ice fishing. The lakes are a complete mess during and after ice fishing season with trash left behind.

Last edited:
Unfairly the majority is defined by the "bottom of the barrel" minority. I know there has been times I was given permission because I was from
WI and not MN. Many land owners in the Dakotas have a negative view of "entitled hunters" from MN. I have met them. It only takes one confrontation to spoil it for others. Always take the high road. Anyone remember why hunting licenses in both states have a limited time frame??

Last edited:
As the buildings get taller, the people inside get crazier. Urban vs. Rural.
Although I don't disagree with this, the "skyscrapers" are things of the past. And now a lot of the population is moving away from cities and populating rural areas. This country is in for big changes.

Neither can I. What I can say is that it definitely wasn't me, and I'm sure it wasn't Munster either.

To paint a broad brush and say that Minnesota or Twin Cities based hunters are unethical, unsafe, or socially awkward because it does not align with your personal views is inaccurate, unfair, and nothing but perceived bias. Unless you have an enormous sample size, it was nothing but coincidence. I think some of you are confusing the law with what YOU think is ethical or not ethical. I personally think that walking on a road and hunting the ditch is anything but pure laziness, but if its legal in the state you choose to do it, so be it. Whether its ethical in my mind or your mind is an irrelevant point.

If you want to deal with trashy people, go ice fishing. The lakes are a complete mess during and after ice fishing season with trash left behind.
Sounds like perceived bias to me

I think it's a percentage thing. Any state's population of hunters has some unknown percentage of the inconsiderate hunters. That percentage is likely about the same for all individual states IMO. I don't think any particular state is holier than thou in this aspect.

Now of all Out of State licenses sold in SD, which state is likely to have the largest number of their hunters buy OOS SD licenses? I don't have reliable numbers but MN due to its close proximity to SD surely ranks at or near the top of OOS hunters.

So seems to stand to reason that if SD landowners see a large number of MN hunters, they're going to see more inconsiderate MN hunters than say inconsiderate hunters from a far, far away state. Just a function of the numbers present.

No point in slagging any one particular state. I'm sure Game Wardens in every state can supply examples of inconsiderate/law breaking hunters.

I think it's a percentage thing. Any state's population of hunters has some unknown percentage of the inconsiderate hunters. That percentage is likely about the same for all individual states IMO. I don't think any particular state is holier than thou in this aspect.

Now of all Out of State licenses sold in SD, which state is likely to have the largest number of their hunters buy OOS SD licenses? I don't have reliable numbers but MN due to its close proximity to SD surely ranks at or near the top of OOS hunters.

So seems to stand to reason that if SD landowners see a large number of MN hunters, they're going to see more inconsiderate MN hunters than say inconsiderate hunters from a far, far away state. Just a function of the numbers present.

No point in slagging any one particular state. I'm sure Game Wardens in every state can supply examples of inconsiderate/law breaking hunters.
Agree with you. It's just a numbers game. If 5% of all hunters are inconsiderate assholes and 40% of people hunting non resident in SD are from MN, inherently there's more MN inconsiderate assholes there haha

Back