Uncut Wheat

akahunter

has anyone ever heard of planting wheat as a food plot or border strip but not harvesting it. i know weedy wheat stubble is supposed to be the best brooding cover there is, but i was wondering if small border strips of uncut wheat would benefit birds / hunters.

I've done it for years. Can be phenomenal. When it snows, the birds burrow under the lodged wheat and explode out in front of the dogs with crops full of wheat. It can be your best bet where drought or poor soils prevent sorghum success.

This is pretty common in Montana. Some of the state run Wildlife Management Areas have big uncut wheat foodplots, and they are good to hunt near (or in).

Forgive my ignorance, but could rye be substituted for wheat with the same success? I would presume so, but wanted to get opinions.

Sounds like an idea to try. Tomorrow I will try broadcasting some and disking it in.

We hunted a harvested wheat field a couple of weeks ago in SD. It was fairly warm but it held lots of birds. We got 2 and they both had wheat in their craws.

I had some good luck so far this year hunting wheat stubble almost knee high, they don't hold in the short stuff. It wouldn't seem like the birds would be there but pheasants are sort of unpredictable at times.

I had some good luck so far this year hunting wheat stubble almost knee high, they don't hold in the short stuff. It wouldn't seem like the birds would be there but pheasants are sort of unpredictable at times.
We had one hold this past weekend, he's now getting prepped for supper...:D I love to hunt wheat stubble, haven't really hunted any uncut wheat but i'm sure that it's every bit as good as stubble...

Back