U.S. Hunters get a Good Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritChaser

Just ran across some info on bird hunting in the UK. Driven pheasant hunting appears to be all private hunting and costs -- get this -- about 25 pounds Sterling per bird. Grouse hunting is even more expensive! It's driven hunting too. "Walk up" hunting with dogs as we do here is gaining in popularity and hunters form "syndicates" to acquire group hunting privileges, no doubt at prices that most of us would be amazed by.

Last edited:
What's there is our future. Free lance hunting is on the endangered species list.

Yup, my mother is originall from France and her brothers are all hunters. When I tell them about my experiences here in Canada they are blown away at what I can do for the grand price of 27$ for my license! NOt only is there a cost difference, but the experience is quite different as well. When I told them that I got out 40 times last year they nearly fainted!
-Croc

Gun Control

Tell those in Europe about how easy it is to purchase and own a firearm and they'll about faint, too. Very, very tough gun laws in countries like England make hunting a very elite sport. We too often take for granted what we have. The freedom to hunt and own firearms is privilage and right we need to continue to fight for.

Tell those in Europe about how easy it is to purchase and own a firearm and they'll about faint, too. Very, very tough gun laws in countries like England make hunting a very elite sport. We too often take for granted what we have. The freedom to hunt and own firearms is privilage and right we need to continue to fight for.

Amen Brother but letting the wealthy lock up our access with pay hunting/leases taking over all over the country. We are seeing the normal Joe being priced out, along with the loss in numbers of hunters. We are loosing our voice with our elected. That's how England and others like them lost their hunting rights. They thought money and powerful wealthy folks would carry them through. Power comes in the number of those who vote..majority rules and once you drive folks from the sport by pricing them out. Don't look for them to support your cause. Money isn't everything but some just don't get it!!

Nonsense and fairy tales. A few years ago I walked into a gun shop in Paris. They had a sweet little 16 gauge I was interested in. I asked about what was necessary to take it.

"No problem, Monsieur. Just take it with you, no problem, just walk down the street with it. No permit or background check required. Fill out a simple form at the airport and take it back to the USA with you."

Later that week I took a train from Paris to Chatre, across 70 miles of farm country. There were hunters and dogs all along the way.

We have a large regional skeet shoot here every summer. The same Brits come over every year. They bring the guns they own and shoot in England, no problem.

Hmmmmmm

If you are trying to insinuate that the atmosphere of hunting in Europe is similar to what we experience here in the United States then I guess I will try and respectfully disagee. I will admit that I am not at all familiar with the gun laws in the European states but I do know that hunting as we know it does not exist over there for anyone outside the privileged class. I recently found a spot in the Normandy area that is offering a 1 day hunt with all the trimmings and one nights lodging for 3350 euros which I believe is around $4472.

I own a breed of pointer that originated in France and at once was almost extinct because of the lack of need for field quality dogs in France. As a matter of fact I have spoken to those who export as well as import these dogs (with such an interesting history) and they have all told me that if it weren't for the demand for field and foot hunting dogs in the United States that this breed would probably no longer exist.

We have it good here folks and our continued and united voices fighting to preserve our hunting heritage and the rights we have to pursue game on both private and public lands should never be comforted into silence. So Jnorm if you would like to trade chasing rudys in Kansas or South Dakota or even Iowa for what you call hunting in France, then please be my guest.

European v. U.S. Hunting History & Geography

I think the differences between European and U.S. hunting are attributable to differences in the history of land ownership and use and sheer quantity of land. We have so much essentially uninhabited great hunting land and very low density populations in our rural areas whereas Europe has neither. Also, Europe used to consist of monarchies that, along with other hereditary gentry, owned almost all of the rural land whereas here the default owner of rural land is the U.S., a republican democracy. Given those great differences, the hunting privileges available to ordinary people in the U.S. are exponentially greater than are available to our European counterparts. No king or queen has ever come between us and hunting.

Last edited:
I googled up "buying firearms in France"
Buying a gun in France is easy, once you complete the paperwork. :eek:

buying firearms in England

I just read up on buying firearms in England on Wikipedia. Sorry, jorhman, but you are wrong. Shotguns are available and can be bought without too much hassle, but those holding more than 2 shells are restricted along with all rifles and pistols. So those of you who shoot semi-autos and pumps pheasant hunting would be s.o.l.

Gun ownership in the US is defined as a "right" under the Second Ammendment to the US Constitution. In England, it's a "privilage". Buying any firearms other that side by side and over/under shotguns is a major ordeal. Owning one for "self defense" is not a valid excuse.

Like others have said here, it's only the privilaged class that can afford to hunt. I was in England in November and it's manicured farmland throughout the entire route we traveled. I did see one rooster while touring a castle, maybe the family that has lived in that huge old palace for 600 years releases them for hunting?

Here in Wisconsin we have over 4 million acres of public land to hunt. Within 5 minutes of home I'm in the grouse woods. Walk out the back door of my place up north and I'm hunting public land. The common folk of Europe don't have that luxury.

I don't begrudge any landowner who leases his property to hunters. The USA is still a free country and he's well within his rights to charge for leases. And I also feel for hunters who have a hard time finding good ground to hunt and can't [or don't want] to pay fees for access.

Like was stated in the beginning of this thread, we are seeing our rights slowly erode as liberal politicians work their corrupt magic to take them away. They can't take our guns, but they sure are working hard trying. And they're working hard to limit our access to ammo, etc.

I can still park my truck on a road in SD, get out the dog and hunt a road ditch, or order a map from SD Fish and Game that shows me where there are public access lands, or knock on some landowners door and ask permission. If he says "sure, but I charge for access", that's OK, too. At least it isn't costing the 3,000 Euros the guy in France quoted.

And I own 5 rifles and 4 shotguns that would be illegal in England.

God Bless America! I hope all of you have a Blessed Christmas and a prosperous 2010!

I just read up on buying firearms in England on Wikipedia. Sorry, jorhman, but you are wrong. Shotguns are available and can be bought without too much hassle, but those holding more than 2 shells are restricted along with all rifles and pistols. So those of you who shoot semi-autos and pumps pheasant hunting would be s.o.l.

Gun ownership in the US is defined as a "right" under the Second Ammendment to the US Constitution. In England, it's a "privilage". Buying any firearms other that side by side and over/under shotguns is a major ordeal. Owning one for "self defense" is not a valid excuse.

Like others have said here, it's only the privilaged class that can afford to hunt. I was in England in November and it's manicured farmland throughout the entire route we traveled. I did see one rooster while touring a castle, maybe the family that has lived in that huge old palace for 600 years releases them for hunting?

Here in Wisconsin we have over 4 million acres of public land to hunt. Within 5 minutes of home I'm in the grouse woods. Walk out the back door of my place up north and I'm hunting public land. The common folk of Europe don't have that luxury.

I don't begrudge any landowner who leases his property to hunters. The USA is still a free country and he's well within his rights to charge for leases. And I also feel for hunters who have a hard time finding good ground to hunt and can't [or don't want] to pay fees for access.

Like was stated in the beginning of this thread, we are seeing our rights slowly erode as liberal politicians work their corrupt magic to take them away. They can't take our guns, but they sure are working hard trying. And they're working hard to limit our access to ammo, etc.

I can still park my truck on a road in SD, get out the dog and hunt a road ditch, or order a map from SD Fish and Game that shows me where there are public access lands, or knock on some landowners door and ask permission. If he says "sure, but I charge for access", that's OK, too. At least it isn't costing the 3,000 Euros the guy in France quoted.

And I own 5 rifles and 4 shotguns that would be illegal in England.

God Bless America! I hope all of you have a Blessed Christmas and a prosperous 2010!

First of all, ranger rick, I didn't say anything about buying guns in England. The gunshop I was in was in Paris, and there wasn't any problem with me buying a gun and walking down the street with it.

Secondly, the Brits I know shoot OUs, so I can't comment about more-than-two-shot guns. I don't own any autos or pumps, and neither do they, by choice. If you say autos are a problem in England, I'll accept your word. So what? I don't live in England and neither do you.

As regards land on which to hunt, I don't know, and haven't said, anything about England. What I saw in France was 70 miles of open farmland, from Paris south. It may not have been as lightly populated as SD, but it was not heavily populated, there were miles and miles of farmland with only a few very small towns, and the hunters I saw certainly looked like ordinary locals. Now if you want to pay big money to hunt, you can do that right there in Wisconsin, and you can shell out the big bucks in SD too.

I have told you what I saw with my own eyes, firsthand. What you know, and how you know it, I don't know.

As to your claim that "they" are taking our gun rights...well, that's just plain horsehockey. I can buy all the guns I like, all the ammo I like and hunt anywhere it's legal. So can you. "Liberal politicians work their corrupt magic" is nonsense and stupidity. What gun right have you lost in your lifetime? Can you name even one? Of course not.

Wake up, go buy some guns and ammo, and go hunting, and stop tilting at windmills and imaginary problems. If open country and free hunting is the most important thing in your life, more power to you. Live in the sparsely populated parts where there's plenty of open land and game, it that's what floats your boat. You also need to realize that there are folks who prefer to live in Boston, where their children can attend any of 20 fine universities right in town, and there are folks who consider the winter weather in Florida worth more than a limit of pheasants. There are folks who love the excitement of LA, and folks who love the Blue Ridge of NC. Those may not be your choices...so what?

Get down on your knees my friend, and thank God that we live in this country where we can all pursue our own dreams.

Last edited:
ONPOINT, you hit it on the nail. I have lost 5 places to hunt in 10 years, because of these greedy outfitters and hunt clubs. Wildlife should not be managed for the sole purpose of profit .

ONPOINT, you hit it on the nail. I have lost 5 places to hunt in 10 years, because of these greedy outfitters and hunt clubs. Wildlife should not be managed for the sole purpose of profit .

So what are you suggesting? That if a farmer or rancher has a piece of ground that holds pheasants and someone comes to them and offers money to hunt it that they say no and let people hunt it for free? Why are the outfitters being greedy because someone is willing to pay them for a service they offer? I think it is called capitalism.

My wife owns a couple hundred acres of prime deer hunting land in MS. She isn't interested in fencing or posting it, but she also would not like to have it hunted by the average run of hard-drinking fools who live in the area. Some years ago she was approached by a group of local citizens who offered to pay her for hunting privileges. She figures it's best to have a group she knows hunting there, rather than folks she doesn't know, and their rent pays the taxes.

Should she just leave it open to anyone who happens by? I don't see why she should.

We don't let strangers swim in our pool either.

So what are you suggesting? That if a farmer or rancher has a piece of ground that holds pheasants and someone comes to them and offers money to hunt it that they say no and let people hunt it for free? Why are the outfitters being greedy because someone is willing to pay them for a service they offer? I think it is called capitalism.

Moellermd, Bernie Madoff agrees with you 100%, it's Capitalism.

Moellermd, Bernie Madoff agrees with you 100%, it's Capitalism.

I guess I am trying to have a reasonable conversation about what people with a valuable resource are supposed to do with that resource. If you want to have a reasonable discussion about this we can. Madoff is a criminal who deliberately mislead people. If you want to try and put farmers who lease there hunting rights in the same category as Madoff I don't suppose we are going to have a meaningful discussion. That comparison is non-analogous.

Last edited:
Oh brother, this same old whiny c-r-a-p on several threads is getting really BORING!!! :p ...So I guess we should all leave the doors open to our houses and let whoever wants come in and help themselves to the fridge & TV, and maybe just go ahead and hand over the car keys while we're at it to any ol' stranger who wants to take it for a spin???

No one on earth is OBLIGATED to give anyone anything (especially not to a freeloading stranger who basically offers nothing in return)! If of his or her own free will a landowner chooses to grant a hunter access, it is a gracious PRIVILEGE - not a right!!!

I have lived in nearly half a dozen states over the course of my lifetime (50 yrs so far) & NEVER had a problem gaining some measure of access to private property from total strangers that I did not previously know - they have allowed me hunt with great success everything from dove to deer, turkey, ducks/geese, predators, hogs & on and on the list goes (according to whatever animal I had specifically scouted for on a particular property or in a particular area & was interested in pursuing)...

The same people who do not know how to kindly & respectfully ask for the "privilege" to hunt someone's property & not then turn around and abuse or overuse it - and who do not also know how to ungrudgingly accept NO as an answer if that's what is given - are usually the very same people who will not expend the energy to thoroughly learn the habits & habitat of the particular game they are pursuing, and who will not get off their @?! and burn up some boot leather in pre-scouting or the actual hunt - and then they turn around & complain that there is "no game"! I guess they want all the critters to come calling with a freebie too!!!...Actually, landowners having already had too much experience with this kind of hunters is my single greatest obstacle in continuing to gain private access for myself!!! :eek:

This is not rocket science here! R-E-S-P-E-C-T is the name of the game - in other words known as the golden rule, "Do unto others (i.e.--landowners) as you would have them do unto you"...Practice that first, then keep on seeking and knocking and ye shall find & it shall be opened unto you... :D

Well, with that kind of thinking. There are men willing to pay to spend time with your wife. Do you sell that too?

It's capitalism..you capitalist kill me, everything has a price tag on it. I would rather be dead broke poor than hug the sickness called greed. Ya have to make a profit with every once of energy spent from every foot step. In fact, I think the Catholic church listed greed and obscene wealth as one of their new sins of 2009. I think causing hardship to others was another. A person doesn't have to sell everything, sometimes giving goes a long way towards good things come judgment day. Giving and capitalism isn't something that goes hand in hand. For capitalism..never away give what you can charge for.

Last edited:
Well, with that kind of thinking. There are men willing to pay to spend time with your wife. Do you sell that too?

Oh my, I knew there was a reason that I was avoiding entering in to this discussion. I think I will find a topic to discuss were reason prevails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back